Favourite TFioS quotes!

13»

Comments

• AlexanderGreatAlexanderGreat Posts: 14
    Honestly... I don't think there is a single line in that book that isn't amazing...

The amazingness of John Green...
  • crazypenguincrazypenguin SerbiaPosts: 22
    "Witness, also, that when we talk about literature, we do so in the present tense. When we speak of the dead, we are not so kind."
    Oscail an doras don tailleir fhidhleir 
    Oscail an doras don fhidhleir tailleir 
    Firrinneri fhidhleir tailleir
  • mew_mew_ofdoommew_mew_ofdoom Baltimore, MD USAPosts: 154 ✭✭
    This is when Gus and Isaac are playing video games.

"All salvation is temporary. I bought them a minute. Maybe that's the minute that buys them an hour, which is the hour that buys them a year. No one's gonna buy them forever, Hazel Grace, but my life bought them a minute. And that's not nothing."

• HollyhollyHollyholly Posts: 59
    "Witness, also, that when we talk about literature, we do so in the present tense. When we speak of the dead, we are not so kind."
    I use this quote a lot while talking to others about both literature and/or death :)

I also love the ones that are not in the actuall story itself, but around it

As the tide washed in the Dutch Tulip Man faced the Ocean:
    "Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator. Look at it, rising up and rising down, taking everything with it."
    "What's that?" I asked.
    "Water," the Dutchman said. "Well, and time"
    -PETER VAN HOUTEN, An Imperial Affliction

Neither novels nor their readers benefit from attempts to devine wether any facts hide inside a story. Such efforts attack the very idea that made-uo storys can matter, which is sort of the foundational assumption of our species.
    The sun was a toddler insistently refusing to go to bed. - TFiOS
  • crazypenguincrazypenguin SerbiaPosts: 22
    Oh, now that you mentioned quotes around the book. When John was asked why Hazel is called Hazel:

"Because it's an in between color and she has an in between life. In between health and sickness, in between adolescence and adulthood, in between swimming and drowning."
    Oscail an doras don fhidhleir tailleir 
    Firrinneri fhidhleir tailleir
  • Maxx_ToronMaxx_Toron Baltimore, MDPosts: 120 ✭✭
    How about: 

"'That's the thing about pain,' Augustus said, and then glanced back at me. 'It demands to be felt.'"
  • IluuuvbooksIluuuvbooks Illinois, USPosts: 5
    The ENTIRE FREAKING BOOK is my favorite quote. Enough said.
    I SOOOO agree
  • “You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world...but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices.”

And

“My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations.” 
    (I've started to say that one) 
    :x
    emmlee_redhead_06
  • WeBz23WeBz23 Posts: 4
    "Always" lol
  • ChessyShiresChessyShires Posts: 1

"Hold on," he mumbled to me. He walked over to Isaac and grabbed him by the shoulders. "Dude, pillows don't break. Try something that breaks."

Isaac reached for a basketball trophy from the shelf above the bed and then held it over his head as if waiting for permission. "Yes," Augustus said. "Yes!" The trophy smashed against the floor, the plastic basketball player's arm splintering off, still grasping its ball. Isaac stomped on the trophy. "Yes!" Augustus said. "Get it!"

And then back to me, "I've been looking for a way to tell my father that I actually sort of hate basketball, and I think we've found it." The trophies came down one after the other, and Isaac stomped on them and screamed while Augustus and I stood a few feet away, bearing witness to the madness. The poor, mangled bodies of plastic basketballers littered the carpeted ground: here, a ball palmed by a disembodied hand; there, two torsoless legs caught midjump. Isaac kept attacking the trophies, jumping on them with both feet, screaming, breathless, sweaty, until finally he collapsed on top of the jagged remnants.

Augustus stepped toward him and looked down. "Feel better?" he asked.

"No," Isaac mumbled, his chest heaving.

"That's the thing about pain," Augustus said, and then glanced back at me. "It demands to be felt."

"What a slut time is. She screws us all." -Peter Van Houten, The Fault In Our Stars

• QurestionAsker215QurestionAsker215 You don't need to knowPosts: 22
    Hi, so okay, I don't know if you'll understand this,
    but I can't kiss you or anything.
    Not that you'd necessarily want to, but I can't.

When I try to look at you like that,
    all I see is what I'm going to put you through.
    Maybe that doesn't make sense to you.

Anyway, Sorry.

Okay.

Okay.

Oh, my God, stop flirting with me.

Okay.

I was kidding, Hazel Grace. I understand.
    (But we both know that okay is a very flirty word,
    Okay is just BURSTING with sensuality.)

Sorry.
    'Liquid Chemistry is just good chemistry' ~ Hank Green 2015