The Uglies Series: a Quadrilogy

littlewonderlittlewonder Nisshin, JapanPosts: 19
In one video, I remember John discussing book recommendations, however when he mentioned The Uglies series, he mentioned it as a trilogy, as in he's only read the first three. However, I also own one more, called Extras. It's a bit weird, and not as good as the first book, which is personally my favourite. It has mixed reviews on goodreads, but it isn't too bad.

Here's what it is:

It's a few years after rebel Tally Youngblood took down the uglies/pretties/specials regime. Without those strict roles and rules, the world is in a complete cultural renaissance. " The world is like a gigantic game of "American Idol." Whoever is getting the most buzz gets the most votes. Aya Fuse's rank of 451,369 is so low, she's a total nobody.

Then Aya meets a clique of girls who pull crazy tricks, yet are deeply secretive of it. Aya wants desperately to kick their story, to show everyone how intensely cool the Sly Girls are. But doing so would propel her out of extra-land and into the world of fame, celebrity...and extreme danger. A world she's not prepared for.

For those unfamiliar with Uglies, it's about a teenager called Tally Youngblood, who lived in a world where every 15 year old must get surgery in order to be pretty and fit in with the Pretties, who live separately to the Uglies. However, her friend Shay brings her on a separate path and brings her into a rebellion.

It's actually pretty interesting, the differences and the relationship between Tally and Shay.

But anyway, what I want to know is, to those who've read either the main series and/or Extras, what do you think? To those not, do you want to?

Comments

• fingerscrossedfingerscrossed MainePosts: 164 ✭✭
    I have read all four books, and I really liked them because even though they were dystopian, they can't be lumped in with books like Hunger Games, Divergent, and Maze Runner (which I also like, but that's not the point) because they're so unique. It's one of those series that is hard to recommend because it's hard to describe, but when you read them you're like "how could I not have read these already? They're amazing!". Anyway, I don't have the plot on the top of my mind because it's been a couple years but the point is I liked them.
    There are only two kinds of people in the world: those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
  • SHIELDagentAubreeSHIELDagentAubree Usually in a bookPosts: 8
    I love the Uglies series! I read all 4 books and they are great! I own two of them (a high compliment for me, I only get my favorite books). I was not disappointed by any of the 4 books.
  • Luke_Earl_MolleLuke_Earl_Molle Earl of Peace Jefferson, IaPosts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭
    Contains Divergent spoilers I found necessary for my comparison, if you haven't read all of Divergent and plan to I wouldn't recommend ready what I have to say.
    When I read the Uglies series I found it to be a pretty good book with a message that I found similar to that of the Divergent trilogy in some ways. They both showed how massively discriminatory the world is. The two series did it in very different ways though, with Divergent using divergence and then later the realization that divergence is truly normality, and the Uglies having the super modified Pretties that were supposedly perfect but then ended up to have had things done to their brains.

Overall I think that the Uglies was way better than Divergent and I really enjoyed the dystopian feel of it, that is one of the things I really liked about Divergent and Hunger Games too. I like how books like this go into the future so that they can take some thing that people do to extremes. These things are happening so far away but they are really based on the things that people do now or have done in the past, just they take those things and drive them to extremes using time and show us possible issues with the paths we can take in the future.

I found the technology in the Uglies to be pretty wonderful too. Really there were a lot of things that I saw that really interested me like the way that the Pretties make their money or whatever, with the whole popularity and fame being directly related to net worth, and the way they did it seemed to me like the current media revolution that is coming out of YouTube.

There really are a lot of really interesting points that can be hit when discussing these books because they showed so many different things, from the small tribes to the cities filled with pretties. The looking in the end at the entire world they show and the diversity throughout it. It is really a world I would like to look more into and like see how the entirety of it looks on a map and all of the different cultures because a more in depth look at this world would be something amazing. To be able to comprehensively analyze the entirety of it would be so much fun to see how all of the different tribes worked and how the different cities worked and the revolution from the former system to the new one that we saw the beginning of at the end of the book. I know some of these things would get boring but it is a really interesting look at a possible future and I think it deserves enough serious thought as something like Game of Thrones or The Lord of the Rings universe.
    I am the Duke of Earl, and I also am Earl For To and Of Peace
  • I really liked all four of them when I read them a few years back, Extras coincided with my getting into Manga and Anime so it worked out really well for me. I think they are superior not only to the divergent books but also to the Hunger Games. Uglies tacked the various philosophies and societies in its world in a way more in depth and interesting way then the current dystopian novel stuff and I think Tally and Shay were way more relatable teen characters than Katniss and whoever Hazel Grace is in Divergent. I mean its set in a future world but Tally and Shay face relatable problems of growing up and leaving behind their childhood and cliques and self harm, our dystopian girls had to kill people a bunch or have more than one character trait or something (I'm not saying they're bad just not super relatable). If ya'll want more mature stuff theres always the cyberpunk genre though it is rather male centric. I'll throw out a recommendation for the Ghost in the Shell movie and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex because its great and has a boss lady main character. Even if your not into Anime watch it for the visuals and the story (it is kinda graphic though, fyi).