Any musician nerdfighters?

misingnoglicmisingnoglic Posts: 36 ✭✭
edited November 2012 in Music
Hey, I was on the nerdfighteria IRC and I realized that there were lots of musician nerdfighters, so I wanted to open it up here to see how diverse it actually is.

For the record I play clarinet in marching band/concert band, as well as guitar :)
by katiefab

“When people call people nerds, mostly what they’re saying is ‘you like stuff.’ Which is just not a good insult at all. Like, ‘you are too enthusiastic about the miracle of human consciousness’.”

AIM: Misingnoglic

Comments

• AlanAlan Posts: 41 ✭✭
    There's a thread about this in the music sub-forum with a lot of great responses: http://nerdfighteria.vanillaforums.com/discussion/36/your-own-bands
    AKA AlanDistro
    President and Co-Founder of your friendly neighborhood DFTBA Records shop.
  • misingnoglicmisingnoglic Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited November 2012
    @Alan Well that's more for people in bands, I'm just talking run of the mill musicians that just play for fun
    by misingnoglic

“When people call people nerds, mostly what they’re saying is ‘you like stuff.’ Which is just not a good insult at all. Like, ‘you are too enthusiastic about the miracle of human consciousness’.”

• MorganMorgan Posts: 44
    I play flute in concert band. I also regularly compete in county and state competitions.
  • I play alto saxophone in marching and concert band. I love it so much :)
  • RobertStyxRobertStyx Posts: 30
    I wish I was a musician, or had any musical inclination at all. I love music, but no matter how hard I may try, I do nothing but suck at it. I have tried/am trying to learn several instruments, but no luck so far unfortunately. =[
  • shorttankshorttank Posts: 43
    I used to play flute in grade school!  I decided to drop band Soph year of HS because it became more of a commitment rather than a hobby, which was the whole reason I decided to learn an instrument in the first place.  In my HS, every student that is a part of the concert band is automatically in the marching band so I wasn't thrilled with the idea of having to participate in all of the home football games, all of the home basketball games, and the parades that my band took part in, as well as the numerous concerts that we played.  If I could have just been a part of concert band and opted out of marching, I most likely would have continued playing throughout high school. :/

I've recently gotten a strong itch to take up playing flute again in my spare time, though.  I just need to wait for thanksgiving break, because I haven't touched my flute since I stopped playing in HS, my flute is at home and I'm away from home for school.
  • StageCraftStageCraft Posts: 76
    I play the Guitar and the Mandolin. It's cool to see so many diverse instruments here. I think it's a lot of fun but only have time these days to play for an audience of 0 in my living room.

I dont know how you wind musicians do it. You can never sing along, and I would consider that very difficult.
    "Man forgets reality and remembers words.” 
    ― Roger Zelazny

International Tea-Drinkers Society ----- without the Tea it's just DFBA
  • SeaSwallowedSeaSwallowed Posts: 75 ✭✭
    I play trombone, bassoon, ukulele, and piano.  Not all at once, but wouldn't that be cool?
  • I play the french horn and I can play the trumpet (barely). I've been playing the horn for about 6 years and it is my first love :D
  • drumbrodrumbro Midnight Blue Rickenbacker 330 OKCPosts: 195 ✭✭✭
    I can play percussion stuff, keyboards (piano, organ, ect), guitar, and trumpet. I can also kind of play bass and accordion. Been playing percussion for, like, my whole life (my dad is a super good percussionist), my mallet percussion skills kind of helped me transition into keyboards, and I just recently learned to do guitar. I also compose a lot. 
    "Rock and roll will never die because Neil Young said so."
  • leonwingsteinleonwingstein VTPosts: 2,679 Mod
    I play the alto and baritone saxophone, as well as the piano (not very good, but good enough to mention it), and the ukulele!
    "Even in the darkness, every color can be found." -Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog | "Remember: You're unique, just like everyone else." -Warren Miller
    "Like cheese in our pockets, these are the Pizza in Our Pants." | THE LAST ONE WHO VLOGS HERE WINS
    You can call me LeoN or Jezzy.  Or anything else, though I might not recognize or respond. | Diamond of the Last Ones
  • musickitten101musickitten101 TokyoPosts: 481 ✭✭✭
    I play French horn in a wind ensemble. I also play piano for no reason. 
  • RowenaarrrRowenaarrr Posts: 54 ✭✭
    Guitar, mandolin and ukulele :)
  • AJ91AJ91 Posts: 283 ✭✭✭
    Rhythm guitarist. Reasonable singer. Will play anything that you can boil down to chords and a voice. I play guitar arpeggios and what has been described as alternating thumb style to give songs their own character instead of strumming all the time. 

When this post just said "Guitar" it looked boring, now it looks tedious. 
    Sede Sapientiae Ora Pro Nobis
  • misingnoglicmisingnoglic Posts: 36 ✭✭
    @AJ91 if you want more specifics I play Electric Guitar in Jazz Band, as well as some classical guitar (that I'm not good at >.<)

• i play guitar and piano and a little ukelele. i also sing, but preferably when there's no one else to...
  • MeredithMeredith Posts: 40
    I play bass clarinet (switched from clarinet this year!) in my school's concert band. We don't have a marching band but I've always wanted to be in one! I also sing in my school's general choir and in our girl's choir. (you would think that would mean I was good....) I play the piano and am learning ukulele and guitar :) I've always wanted to play the accordion!
  • I've played oboe for 10 years, and trombone for 6. I currently play oboe in my college's uband and trombone in our marching band!
  • Bassoon and contrabassoon forever! I also play in the pit (mallet and auxiliary percussion, things like marimba, synthesizer, and the occasional cymbal) for marching band. I used to be in choir  (alto), but now I only sing in music theory class. I'm in a magnet high school for performing arts (bassoon major), so I'm pretty absorbed in music!
    There's a Nerdfighter for that! I can help with anything related to classical music (especially double reeds, the baroque era, and marching band), the Latin language, and trivia/useless knowledge.
  • FirstBaritoneFirstBaritone Posts: 55 ✭✭
    I play the Baritone Trumpet in my schools concert band and marching band and I play the trumpet in my free time. I am hoping to start the ukelele soon.
  • I play the violin in orchestra at my school. And I'm also a vocalist as well, but that's a little bit of a different category. 

"We have no need of comfy chairs." 
  • Piano and, if it counts, a vocalist. 
  • dyaizondyaizon Posts: 86 ✭✭
    I play guitar (poorly), clarinet (quite well, though haven't played for ages), and piano (quite well).

I used to play keys in a couple of big bands, but haven't in the last few years. I really need to start it again. It also doesn't help that I don't have a piano, I should probably pick up an electric one.
  • aSnowyEveningaSnowyEvening Posts: 226 ✭✭✭
    I miss my teenage years, I used to play flute in the concert band and practiced piano and voice religiously (took RCM lessons).  One day I'll take my grade 8 piano exam...

I've also got an ocarina at home that I toy with sometimes.
  • I play guitar and gig a lot as a solo artist :3
  • SuibhneSuibhne Posts: 193 ✭✭✭
    I've never claimed to be a "musician" since I don't play anything amazing like the French horn or the Viola but I played drums for a number of years (though I haven't had my own set since 2006), I have programmed / sequenced electronic music for over a decade now and I'm trying to teach myself the basics of master engineering (just without the $20,000 education and the $100,00 studio... just a decade of experience, $2,000 in hardware and lots of freeware and hacked / cracked ware)
  • CellistPondCellistPond Posts: 340 ✭✭✭
    I've played cello for ten years now
    No wait.
    11 years.

I'm not that great
    Oh look! A wild signature!
    If I'm not posting here, I might be tweeting
    or sleeping or working
  • AdniAdni Posts: 19
    I've been playing orchestral violin music for a little over five years now, and fiddle music (mostly Scottish) since June. Same instrument, but the styles are so completely different that they have different names depending on what you're playing.
  • TheStigTheStig Loses Sword Fights to Cardboard Boxes Long IslandPosts: 5,462 ✭✭✭✭
    I played French Horn from 5th to 10th grade. But more importantly I've been playing guitar for 8 years now. Never played a show in my life though.
    "Well, scientifically speaking, traditions are an idiot thing." - Rick Sanchez
  • TzviTzvi New JerseyPosts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    TheStig said:
    I played French Horn from 5th to 10th grade. But more importantly I've been playing guitar for 8 years now. Never played a show in my life though.
    Oh god, playing a show is terrifying. I convince myself every time that I can and then chicken out.
    Troubadour of the Last Ones
    “A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
    ― George R.R. Martin,
    A Dance With Dragons