Any musician nerdfighters?

Comments

• BananaBatBananaBat Posts: 97 ✭✭
    When I was in high school I played keyboards in the jazz band, flute in the concert band, and marimba in the drumline. I also sang in several of the school's musicals and the choir when they still had it.

Now I'm pretty dedicated to piano and singing. I would love to learn guitar and violin though. 
    Who cares about normal? Remember the talking monkeys...
  • LeptonMadnessLeptonMadness Posts: 30 ✭✭
    I run my University's a cappella group with a few friends. It's super challenging, but really fun.

If you have any songs you'd like to hear a cappella, challenge me to it and I'll compose one and post the link here :)

Any song, any genre (as long as I can find it on YouTube or Grooveshark).
    --
    DFTBA
  • MadelMadel Posts: 28
    I play the euphonium in my school's band and I fancy myself rather good at it :P. I can also play trombone alright and I used to be able to play the piano, I haven't practiced in years.
    "I'm invincible like Bruce Willis in the movie 'Invincible'
    I'm invisible like... well, I'm not really invisible
    I'm bad, like the movie 'Attack of the Clones'
    I'm dangerous... like a fire in a nursing home"

• AdniAdni Posts: 19
    I run my University's a cappella group with a few friends. It's super challenging, but really fun.

If you have any songs you'd like to hear a cappella, challenge me to it and I'll compose one and post the link here :)

Lissa Schneckenburger - The Irish Girl, or Bo Burnham - Art is Dead are the two songs that come to mind when I think of things I want a capellafied.
  • nylasornylasor Posts: 36 ✭✭
    I've been a musician for 12 years now. I started playing clarinet in 5th grade, then added flute in 7th grade, then switched to Horn in 10th grade and I have stuck with that as my main instrument since then, and now I'm a senior in college. Along the way I've also picked up piano, piccolo, oboe, trumpet, euphonium, recorders, and voice. 
    I'm aiming to be a middle school band director, so knowing a lot of instruments is important. I plan on picking up guitar and sax this year as well.
    I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing, than a hundred people's ninth favorite thing. 
  • DJMJRyderDJMJRyder Posts: 78
    I wish I was a musician, or had any musical inclination at all. I love music, but no matter how hard I may try, I do nothing but suck at it. I have tried/am trying to learn several instruments, but no luck so far unfortunately. =[

Try and concentrate on one instrument to begin with and ask yourself whether you want to mainly be melodic or rhythmic, this will help narrow down your ideal instrument :)
    edited November 2012
    I am a Beatboxer primarily but do a little tinkering on other Instruments.
    I Sing and MC as well and have performed on stage quite a few times.

We should start a project for us all to take part in! Get people who haven't recorded themselves some experience and Nerdfighteria could have a new theme song

There's a Nerdfighter for that! I can help with anything related to Music, Hip Hop in particular, Beatboxing especially. I also have an extensive knowledge of Videogames
    by DJMJRyder
  • JamieSparkesJamieSparkes Posts: 113 ✭✭
    I play guitar and sing a little. I have a bandcamp in my signature where I put up the songs I write. Been playing guitar for 4 years, and started singing about 6 months ago. It's going ok I guess. I'd much rather be in a band where I had a proper singer. 
  • OddquartetOddquartet Posts: 24 ✭✭
    I play percussion (17yrs) and a bit of piano. But, I always wanted to learn how to play the French Horn because their orchestra parts are pure awesome. Sadly, I don't think I have the ear for French Horn.
  • dragonscales07dragonscales07 Posts: 45 ✭✭
    I've been playing Viola for about four years.
        Any other Viola players? I don't know many...
    Er. Yes, I'm a bit awkward. Just a bit.
  • nylasornylasor Posts: 36 ✭✭
    @oddquartet not going to lie, I legit just flailed a little. I adore your comic!! 
    I'm sure you've got the ear, in my experience I've learned that Horn is more about having confidence in knowing where you're at before you make a sound. It's not more difficult than other instruments, but it does have it's quirks so it might take a little longer to pick up. But what instrument isn't a challenge? 
    The payoff is totally worth it, I'd play a concert of a thousand oom-pah-pahs for 10 measures of a killer horn part.
    I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing, than a hundred people's ninth favorite thing. 
  • OddquartetOddquartet Posts: 24 ✭✭
    @nylasor Wow! What are the odds that I run into an Odd Quartet reader in the Nerdfighteria forums? So awesome! First, thank you for reading the comic, you are the reason why I make OQ.
    Second, you're right, every instrument is a challenge and requires some serious commitment if you want to get better at it. I just remember playing horn in my brass methods class in college and falling in love with it. If I had more time I would definitely pick it back up. I'll just stick to my marimba music for now. :) 
  • BilboMagginsBilboMaggins Posts: 12

A capella is so fun! I sing alto 1 in my university's all girls group. We're doing a mash-up of Dig It from Holes and No Diggity by Blackstreet, it's really badass : ) 

A capella is so fun! I sing alto 1 in my university's all girls group. We're doing a mash-up of Dig It from Holes and No Diggity by Blackstreet, it's really badass : ) 
    If any of you acapella group singers want to make some original music I am working on an album using only voice at the moment and could use some strong singers :D
  • LeptonMadnessLeptonMadness Posts: 30 ✭✭
    @BilboMaggins That mashup sounds AMAZING.

@Adni, I've started composing Art is Dead, so I'll finish that and then I'll do The Irish Girl.

Anyone else have any songs they just WISH were a cappella'd? No song is too crazy. I'm on Winter Break right now and I like a challenge. :)
    --
    DFTBA
  • johnhmaloneyjohnhmaloney Whiting, NJPosts: 300 ✭✭✭
    I'm proficient on guitar, fretless bass, mandolin and ukulele. I also mess around a bit on keyboards, hand percussion and harmonica. 
    @LeptonMadness here's the video from our performance if anyone wants to watch it!
  • johnhmaloneyjohnhmaloney Whiting, NJPosts: 300 ✭✭✭
    @BilboMaggins Great performance, thanks for sharing it. I love a capella music, especially arrangements of songs that you'd never expect to hear done a capella. 
    @BilboMaggins 

That was really fun, I was beatboxing along at home :)
    Thanks guys! I appreciate all of the nice comments, we worked really hard on that!
  • I am a singer which is one of the most amazing things God has ever blessed me with. Music is really amazing to me and I could go on for hours about it but I won't. I love to sing but I just recently started to think of myself as a musician, which is weird I know. I have been singing pretty much all my life (my mom likes to say I came out of the womb singing just a little too loud and a little off key) so it was just a part of who I was. I never distinguished it as a thing separate from me it was just what made me, me I guess. I still think of it that way, but I guess I see it as a thing separate from me too. I see it now as a thing that I can create and share with people. 
  • Mark27Mark27 AustraliaPosts: 1,188 ✭✭✭
    I play piano, but I would also like to learn the ukulele and maybe an ocarina if I could find one!
    http://www.instagc.com/245297 get free gift cards!
  • LukeeeysLukeeeys York, EnglandPosts: 1,198 ✭✭✭✭
    @Mark27, good choice on instrument. I play that and Guitar / Ukulele. Then I also play a variety and brass instrument and sing. I spend far too much time around musical instruments!
    Resident 'Smarty Mcbrainperson' of Nerdfighteria. 
    Check out my website, please? http://www.lukesheard.com
  • HastingsHastings Posts: 24
    edited April 2013
    I play the piano (10 years), and am very slowly working on the guitar.

And I recently discovered that I love singing, but I don't get to do it often, usually just in my Music Theory class at school.
    by Hastings
    "Then we have found, as it seems, that the many beliefs of the many about what's fair and about the other things roll around somewhere between not-being and being purely and simply." -Plato: Republic

Semper discens sum, de vita, de mundo, de omnibus, vivo et vivens amo!
  • TerahertzTerahertz Posts: 35
    Played cello for years, been in a couple of school orchestras, can sort of play recorder, learning piano, but most of all I love to sing. Unfortunately, after almost 8 years of being treble in a professional choir, lead treble for six of them, over half of my life, with a massive three-octave range - My voice is breaking. Aaaaarrgh I can't sing a note! I'm fine with it breaking, I'm hoping to be a tenor, or at least high baritone. I can't stay a treble forever, of course not. All good. But it snapped pretty violently, and I've been unable to sing for months and months and it's just infuriating. Hurry up and settle, voice! Either be high, or low, but stop cracking every three notes!
    Ugh.

Sorry for ranting.

I'm surprised by how much variation there is in the different instruments all of us play. It's great!
  • cookiefiendcookiefiend Posts: 114 ✭✭✭
    @Terahertz, don't apologize for ranting! It's a super difficult stage to be in with your voice.  I'm sure there are plenty of other male vocalist nerdfighters who will totally sympathize. 

I played flute from 4th through 12th grades.  I used to play very intensively (2 hour private lessons, another few hours a week group lessons, participating in tons of groups, church solos, school band, etc.) and performed with my flute choir all over Pittsburgh, but decided to not pursue it in college because, truth be told, as much as I loved doing it, I was never very good.  Recently, I've been getting back to my singing, and finding that I'm having infinitely more success as a musician with my voice than I ever had on the flute.

Has nerdfighteria ever done a virtual orchestra or choir a la Eric Whitacre?  We have so many awesome musicians I bet we could make some amazing large-scale internet collaborations.
    In masks outrageous and austere the years go by in single file; but none has merited my fear, and none has quite escaped my smile.
  • coolcat3699coolcat3699 Sydenham, LondonPosts: 144 ✭✭
    i play the violin piano and i can also play the recorder ans guitar but i dont take grades in them :)
  • SeaSwallowedSeaSwallowed Posts: 75 ✭✭
    Has nerdfighteria ever done a virtual orchestra or choir a la Eric Whitacre?  We have so many awesome musicians I bet we could make some amazing large-scale internet collaborations.
    I have not participated in Eric Whitacre's Virtual Choir, but I participate in both the Doctor Who Fan Orchestra and the Sherlock Fan Orchestra.  Such an amazing experience!
  • piccalollandpiccalolland Posts: 24
    Orchestral trumpet and horn-transposition for the win:D I also play the baritone ukulele, which by the way, is a horcrux.
  • TerahertzTerahertz Posts: 35
    edited April 2013
    I have not participated in Eric Whitacre's Virtual Choir, but I participate in both the Doctor Who Fan Orchestra and the Sherlock Fan Orchestra.  Such an amazing experience!
    WOW! I hadn't heard of either of those, but I just looked them up and they're amazing! Are they recruiting? How do you participate?
    Volunteering as cellist and maybe singer, depending on how my voice develops.

Also, @Cookiefiend, thanks for the kind words!
    by Terahertz