Manga

I wasn't really sure where this category would fit, so I thought I'd throw a thread in to the comic section!
Who out there is also a manga lover? What sort of series do you read? Any great suggestions?

Personally, I love just about everything. I read series like Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail, and Kenichi (big-name, shounen series), but also love shoujo like Ouran High School Host Club, Penguin Revolution, and Seiyuu-ka.

My favorite series of all time are probably (in no particular order):
Fullmetal Alchemist, D.Gray-man, Host Club, and--of course--FRUITS BASKET.

Like I said though: I've read a bit of everything. I love everything from shounen, shoujo, yaoi, romance, one-shots, and adventure. So if you need any sort of recommendation, I've probably got something I've read that'll suit you!
“Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened.” ~Dr. Seuss
“I've been running. Faster than I've ever run. And I've been running my whole life. Now it's time for me to stop.” ~The Eleventh Doctor
“The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
~Douglas Adams

Comments

• NekomancerNekomancer Posts: 87 ✭✭
    I've read a huge amount of manga, but haven't been too actively involved with it over the past couple of years. However, my favorite bunch of works remain those of Osamu Tezuka. He was an artistic genius, and it shows. For those who don't know, Tezuka is singularly responsible for bringing comics and animation to Japan and making things what they are today. He was responsible for Astro Boy, Black Jack, Buddha, Phoenix, Adolf, Ode to Kirihito, and MW, among many others. He was a hugely prolific artist, producing over 80,000 (!!) pages of published manga in his lifetime, plus directing the first major anime series (Astro Boy) among a great many others. The man was a giant. I can think of virtually no other artists that have been so monumentally influential on their respective culture. If you're a manga fan, you *need* to read Tezuka, not only to understand the roots of modern manga, but because Tezuka's works are rich with emotion, ambition, and expression. 

I recommend starting out with Black Jack, which is Tezuka's long-running and beloved series about the adventures of an unlicensed genius doctor. It's a highly accessible and likable series that will give you a strong idea of what Tezuka's work is about. I'd also recommend checking out Phoenix, which is Tezuka's 12-volume magnum opus, spanning millennia and featuring numerous different casts of characters (some characters are different incarnations of the same "soul", which is a common occurrence across Tezuka's work). Either way, go and discover Tezuka. You won't be disappointed.
  • YuliafonYuliafon Posts: 27
    I'll second Tezuka and Black Jack. Although I didn't like the BJ manga, I loved the anime. (I sadly have ten jumbo volumes of BJ that I doubt will ever be read. I need to find them a new home.)

Currently, I have several plastic bags full of manga next to my bed (I'm re-arranging bookshelves). I have Pokemon Special/Pokemon Adventure, a Pokemon manga aimed at a teen audience. I also have a few other videogame based ones.

ToraDora! I'm not a shoujo fan at all, but this is just so funny, and so cute. I recommend having a look at a preview, no matter your taste.
  • I wrote my Extended Essay on what caused the rise of manga in Japan and how its start led to its current state, and while I don't currently read any manga, i still find the whole history and status of the industry to be fascinating. 
    DFTBA
  • vigilantmeadowvigilantmeadow Posts: 62
    edited November 2012
    @Nekomancer I will DEFINITELY check him out then! I've heard of a couple of the series, but not the man himself before. It'll give me something to do over winter break! XD

@Yuliafon I'll keep ToraDora in mind too! sometimes I just need something cute and adorable and hilarious.
    by vigilantmeadow
    “I've been running. Faster than I've ever run. And I've been running my whole life. Now it's time for me to stop.” ~The Eleventh Doctor
    ~Douglas Adams
  • eda1102eda1102 Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    Yuliafon said:

ToraDora! I'm not a shoujo fan at all, but this is just so funny, and so cute. I recommend having a look at a preview, no matter your taste.
    I need to get back to ToraDora!, thanks for the reminder. xD Will probably get back to it after I finish Soul Eater. (also need to watch the toradora anime finally)
    I stopped reading those 'neverending JUMP series' few years back (Naruto, Bleach, Katekyo Hitman Reborn, One Piece), it wasn't engaging to me anymore, sadly : <

Now I'm slowly getting back into this whole anime/manga business so I'll definitely probably come back for some recommendations from you guys : )
     Threadkillers Union - Chief Assassin and Treasurer
  • FranciscoJxLFranciscoJxL Posts: 12
    edited November 2012
    I stopped reading those 'neverending JUMP series' few years back (Naruto, Bleach, Katekyo Hitman Reborn, One Piece), it wasn't engaging to me anymore, sadly : <
    Same thing happened to me a few years ago. :/ I really got tired of watching watching LONG damn anime with an overextended plot so now I watch mostly 12-24 ep. seinen. I'll occasionally watch a shounen anymore.

The only manga I got engaged in was Soul Eater, sadly, I also stopped reading that one... I wish I read more manga!! TT^TT Hopefully I'll get more into it in the future, though. ^-^
    by FranciscoJxL
    The only manga I got engaged in was Soul Eater, sadly, I also stopped reading that one... I wish I read more manga!! TT^TT Hopefully I'll get more into it in the future, though. ^-^
    I rarely watched these long-ass series. And now I only watch stuff that is completed. 
    I also stopped reading Soul Eater few years back, and now I wanted to watch the anime (got to half of it) and I'm back reading the manga : > The fans who actually read the whole thing, all the chapters that were released so far, think that the manga should be concluded soon. "Soon" is relative since it comes out once a month, but still, that's something : >
    And then; we all hope that the anime will get a reboot, just like FMA.
  • I can't deal with long animes. Think I watched about 100 episodes of Naruto while working on art projects, and I actually love InuYasha despite how horrible repetitive and predictable it is. But I usually only watch animes that are 12 - 24 episodes. There's exceptions that are great though, like FMA: Brotherhood. 

I'm really bad at stopping in the middle of reading a series, so I still read the updates of most of the long ones, even when they're not too interesting anymore (aka Naruto). XD I also, strangely enough, stopped reading Soul Eater a couple years ago. I just got really bored with it and never liked it much to begin with. Maybe I'll catch up on it soon. I dunno. :/ Never watched the anime.

Lately, I've been obsessed with this shoujo called "Seiyuu ka" about a girl who wants to become a voice actor (really cute and funny read), a shounen called "Magi" about a boy named Aladdin and his friend Alibaba who live in a land of dungeons and djinns and a brewing war (despite being shounen and having a lot of fighting, it focuses more on relationships and adventure and doesn't really do the whole 10-chapter-extended-fight sort of thing like Naruto or Bleach...haha, only 10 chapters, yeah right...), and "Code:Breaker"--an action manga about power users who eradicate evil by becoming evil themselves (which also is a lot more about the relationships between the characters, romantic or otherwise, and how they evolve and change).

Some others that people might like are Defense Devil, Gin no Saji (same artist as FMA), Nononono, Durarara, and Saiyuki (the anime is great!).
    ~Douglas Adams
  • celinesaracelinesara Posts: 231 ✭✭
    I too gave up on the never ending series. I gave up hope on D. Grayman but I really enjoyed reading what I did.
    My favourites include FMA and Death Note. I'm currently reading Dogs and Bakuman. I've been wanting to read DRRR, Baccano and Darker than Black after watching the animes.
    (:
  • KelliKelli TexasPosts: 2,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There have been a few really long series that I've got really attached to so I couldn't just stop watching. Like Bleach, despite it's ridiculous fillers, and Inuyasha.

Also, old school Sailor Moon anyone?? (: That was my first anime and will always have a special place in my heart despite its repetitiveness. I'm also really excited about the new SM series that's coming out next summer!

I think my favorite short ep anime is Angel Beats. I really want to learn the theme song on the piano! It's so fantastic. If you haven't seen the show or the theme song, YouTube it or something. I think it's definitely worth watching.
    I make videos 
    "Nerd like us are allowed to be unironically enthusiastic about stuff."
    I live in the land of the Last Ones

• I LOVE D.Gray-man, but the artist has arthritis and the series keeps going on hiatus, which kills me! And I want to read Drrr so bad, but there's only about 13 chapters translated! D':
    ~Douglas Adams
    I also wanted to read Durarara, but just like you, @vigilantmeadow, I had to face the same problem. Though I heard the light novels are maybe even better than the manga, but there's also the struggle with translations unfortunately. I imagine Drrr must be sick in its original format. The anime was pretty awesome, too.
  • I loved the anime and I liked what I've read of the manga...just sad it isn't more popular.

Also, I went and read Toradora and caught up with the most recent update. >_< Really cute!
    ~Douglas Adams
  • manimicsmanimics Posts: 3
    Man, feels like everyone already said my favs!
    Dogs: Bullets & Carnage, D.Gray Man, Sukitte ii na yo, The Breaker, Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles, FMA, Magi.....prob a ton others that I can't think of right now. 
    Shirow Miwa and Katsura Hoshino are like my favorite artists
    Have any of you heard about/watched the live action movie of Rurouni Kenshin? The movie came out in August for Japan but I haven't heard anything about it coming to America or if there is a sub version somewhere.
    I make videos 

• AbdullTheCoolAbdullTheCool White center, WAPosts: 165 ✭✭
    My favorite manga I have read so far was Naoki urasawa's monster. I won't say anymore than to just read it. 18 volumes total. The suspense made me finish it in less than a week. I would also recommend checking our urasawa's other works like 20th century boys and his futuristic thriller based off of astro boy called Pluto. All great reads you won't regret

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

• CleodelCleodel Posts: 44 ✭✭
    @AbdullTheCool I started both Monster and 20th Century Boys, but my sister only owned the first few volumes of each. I should actually check if my local library has them because what I did read was just... wow.

|  tumblr  |   zazzle   |  deviantart  |
  • CleodelCleodel Posts: 44 ✭✭
    My favourite series of all time has to be Yotsuba (Yotsubato, Yotsuba&). I honestly can't read Yotsuba without giggling out loud (and confusing the people around me).

A also love Azu Manga, Ouran, and Chi's Sweet Home. :3
    |  tumblr  |   zazzle   |  deviantart  |
    @Cleodel I am going to warn you right now about 20th century boys it's crazy awesome up until the last few volumes... If it went out with a bang it would have beat monster as my favorite. I also love Yotsuba&! But I stopped at volume 10 cause I lost my job and couldn't buy anymore but I always reread the volumes I already have.

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

I just remembered about urasawa's newest work "Billy bat" really good story has about 90 chapters and is ongoing. No English version so far so you can only read online, I suggest the site mangapanda.com but don't read 20th century boys there the chapters are all mixed up and some are even on there twice

Martin Luther King, Jr.

• sully_vansully_van Posts: 2
    edited November 2012
    I've read to many manga to list and I'm pretty forgettful... but some of the ones I can think of at the moment are D.Gray-man, Katekyo Hitman Reborn, Axis Powers: Hetalia, Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, and Shugo Chara. 

by sully_van
  • Crazyzen327Crazyzen327 Posts: 4
    I can't genuinely say that I'm a true manga-lover, but I do enjoy reading a few series (comedy-dominated ones so far) like Nichijou, Working!!, Kill Me Baby and Azumanga Daioh. Planning to read Yotsubato/Yotsuba&! as a whole some time soon because after reading one of the volumes I had borrowed from the local library (I believe it was the plots involving bicycles and milk), I just found it was just pretty awesome to read...

Find me on: Tumblr (or) Twitter (or) deviantART(!)

• girl_on_Jupitergirl_on_Jupiter Posts: 663 ✭✭✭
    I've kind of fallen out of the manga scene unfortunately. I haven't read any manga in a while. But I have been watching a little bit of anime.

Anyway, my favorite series is definitely Fullmetal Alchemist and I am very sad that I haven't been able to keep up with it. I'm also disappointed that neither of the animes have gotten it right, at least in my opinion. I also enjoy Ouran High School Host Club, Fairytale, Naruto, Rurouni Kenshin, Fruit Basket, and Death Note. Oh, and Darker Than Black and Haruhi Suzimiya as animes.
    SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
  • leonwingsteinleonwingstein VTPosts: 2,679 Mod
    The only manga that I really got into was Cyborg 009.  It's a classic.
    "Even in the darkness, every color can be found." -Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog | "Remember: You're unique, just like everyone else." -Warren Miller
    "Like cheese in our pockets, these are the Pizza in Our Pants." | THE LAST ONE WHO VLOGS HERE WINS
    You can call me LeoN or Jezzy.  Or anything else, though I might not recognize or respond. | Diamond of the Last Ones
  • HelenaInABasketHelenaInABasket Posts: 77 ✭✭
    Jojo's Bizarre Adventure!

Is amazing.  The first part is rocky, but usually first parts are kind of awkward because they need to establish a universe. [And the writer/artist is never sure if there will be the opportunity for more installments.] The artwork, as time progresses, is absolutely gorgeous. There are eight, I believe, parts as of right now and it is ongoing.  I do know that it's now a monthly installment project though.

Also!  If you don't have the patience for reading all that manga, then they are working on an anime right now!  Again, like some anime there are bad animation days, but given what they have to work with it is really shaping up! It just finished part one and started part two.
    My soul has been so fearful, so violent: forgive its brutality.
  • random_fanrandom_fan Posts: 173
    I recently bought the first three volumes of Bakuman and I really can't wait until I can by more because it is amazing. Fo those who don't know Bakuman is about two middle schoolers, though they graduate to high school quickly, who want to team up and become manga artists. The characters are all excellent, the suspense of whether or not they'll make it is ridiculous, I have no idea how a series with this premise managed to be a shonen series but it did.

I'm also keeping up with One Piece which is still brilliant but I'm sure at this point everyone has made up their minds on it.

Pokemon special is another manga I was reading which I really should catch up on at some point, I just started the Leaf Green/Fire Red arc and then lost track of the chapter number I was up to. Pokemon special is the only time I can remember that a series without a predominantly female cast had all my favourite characters be female. The only male who comes close to the females is Blue/Green.
    "Like cheese in our pockets, these are the Pizza in Our Pants."
    I recently bought the first three volumes of Bakuman and I really can't wait until I can by more because it is amazing. Fo those who don't know Bakuman is about two middle schoolers, though they graduate to high school quickly, who want to team up and become manga artists. The characters are all excellent, the suspense of whether or not they'll make it is ridiculous, I have no idea how a series with this premise managed to be a shonen series but it did.

I'm also keeping up with One Piece which is still brilliant but I'm sure at this point everyone has made up their minds on it.

Pokemon special is another manga I was reading which I really should catch up on at some point, I just started the Leaf Green/Fire Red arc and then lost track of the chapter number I was up to. Pokemon special is the only time I can remember that a series without a predominantly female cast had all my favourite characters be female. The only male who comes close to the females is Blue/Green.

I read all of bakuman online and it was great. Every time I got my hands on a computer I would just sit and read for hours until I caught up with the weekly chapters. There was never a chapter I hated throughout the whole series. Definitely in my top 10 best. Highly recommended to all those who haven't read it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

• EquilibriumEquilibrium Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited January 2013
    My first was Ranma 1/2. Manga wasn't so widely available then, but sometimes bookstores or libraries would have a couple of the English versions of Ranma 1/2. I was obsessed then and, honestly, I would still have a nervous breakdown if I ever met Rumiko Takahashi.

I haven't been really into manga in a while. I've stopped reading most of the epic shounens (Bleach, Naruto, and I've always been on an anime only diet for One Piece). XXXholic has become unreadable for me. I did read all of Death Note and still have the series. I read all of Tsubasa Chronicles too. it's strange because CLAMP it starts out as an adventure story then a small arc happens and EVERYTHING CHANGES. Also someone loses an eye because CLAMP. The tone, the direction,the genre, the characters, the antagonist, the protagonist, the setting, the art. Everything. And it was part of the plan all along. >< Loved Eyeshield 21 but I think I'm the only one.

I remember really liking Skip Beat. It's really easy to get caught up in the story. It's a funny revenge story and I really grew attached to the characters. I really should get back into it. And Kuroshitsuji. And Host Club. And Fairy Tail (I have an Erza girl crush).
    by Equilibrium
  • itskevinitskevin Posts: 8
    edited January 2013
    @Equilibrium Ah! Ranma 1/2 is also my first manga!

I used to read lots of manga, but now, I only keep my tab on Bleach & Naruto x_x

by itskevin
    @itskevin, I love Bleach! (:
    I make videos