Manga

2»

Comments

• PurityRaynePurityRayne Posts: 20
    Chobits is by far my favorite manga series. Though the anime was "meh".
  • digitalsleepdigitalsleep USAPosts: 73 ✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Wandering Son (Hourou Musuko): An ongoing series about a little boy who realizes that he wishes he was born a girl. The series follows him from elementary school up through high school so far and deals with having to overcome bullying, his aging body and trying to figure out his true identity. One of my personal favorites.

Your Knife (Kimi no Knife): Shiki Yukitaka is a school teacher who's sister is in the hospital with cancer. Being poorly paid and having no relatives, he's having the hardest time keeping his sister in the hospital to receive proper treatments. One day a woman asks Shiki if he'd kill a person for five billion yen. Thinking the woman is joking, Shiki replied "Only if the person's evil." The woman then points out her first target.

Afterschool Charisma (Houkago no Charisma): In the future, scientists find the ability to extract DNA of people long dead out of the most unbelievable ways. They then begin using this new found power to clone said individuals. The story takes place at a school where young clones go to learn about their other selves and learn to take up their old crafts. The student body consists of names such as Napoleon Bonaparte, Sigmund Freud, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and even Adolph Hitler. The most curious thing about the school, however, is that the main character of the story, Shiro Kamiya, doesn't appear to be a clone at all.
    by digitalsleep
  • I don't know if anyone's mentioned Junji Ito (mangaka). Most of the manga I've seen people post about on the thread are the common action/romance types that are widely enjoyed. Take a look at his work if you're into horror a little bit, or just try it out because the stories are compelling in their own way.

You might have seen this circulating in tumblr, but it's a good short starter:

Then try Uzumaki and his retelling of Frankenstein :D have fun!
  • eda1102eda1102 Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    I used to read manga quite a bit back in 2006-2007. Kinda fell out of it the last few years, because I was just lazy to read scanned comics.
    However this year I started reading few titles again, that being Haikyuu!!, the only sports manga I ever want to get into, I didn't even want to get into this one, tbh, but I really adore the art style, so yeah, what can ya do~
    And few days ago I started reading Shingeki no Kyojin, since everyone on my tumblr dashboard has been raving about it and I was told the manga is by far better than the anime, so I went for that. I dunno why I would do such cruel things to myself. It's not the goriest thing I ever read, but I guess it's kinda in the top 3. That, plus the fact it has lots of military aspects to it appeal to me a lot. So I'm liking it, although I'm also hating it (?), hating it for how much it hurts.

I also plan to finish reading Elfen Lied in the near future, I read about 70 chapters, but that was so long ago I could as well start from the very beginning.
    And I started reading One Punch Man recently, which is visually stunning, but after few chapters hasn't yet sucked me in that much, so I'm saving it for after I finish Shingeki no Kyojin I guess.
    by eda1102
     Threadkillers Union - Chief Assassin and Treasurer
  • AbdullTheCoolAbdullTheCool White center, WAPosts: 165 ✭✭
    Everyone must read Billy Bat and after you get sucked in don't read too fast... its pretty painful waiting for a new chapter each week. Your welcome

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

• marox14marox14 Posts: 47
    I like too many to name, but I haven't seen too much new stuff RECENTLY P: I would like to read more, but I'm just so busy! :-<
    My favorite is and always will be One Piece, which was the first one I read. :) Another favorite is Junjou Romantica (a yaoi). I mostly stay away from shojo but I give props to Love Com :)
    I also think Avatar: the last airbender was probably the best ever american-made-anime-like thing
    marox14 said:
    I like too many to name, but I haven't seen too much new stuff RECENTLY P: I would like to read more, but I'm just so busy! :-<
    My favorite is and always will be One Piece, which was the first one I read. :) Another favorite is Junjou Romantica (a yaoi). I mostly stay away from shojo but I give props to Love Com :)
    I also think Avatar: the last airbender was probably the best ever american-made-anime-like thing

one piece is also a favorite of mine, although I haven't read a new chapter in a couple months and I plan to get caught up during the summer... Same goes with any new naruto and bleach manga. Also what are your thoughts on the legend of korra? I thought the story was pretty good and I am curious to know what will be the problem the avatar faces in future seasons.

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

• KelliKelli TexasPosts: 2,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG. BLEACH. I need someone to talk to about the most recent Bleach chapters!!!
    I make videos 
    "Nerd like us are allowed to be unironically enthusiastic about stuff."
    I live in the land of the Last Ones

• RyuugirifangirlRyuugirifangirl PolandPosts: 2
    My favourite manga is Bleach ^^ There is some many plot twist 
  • KelliKelli TexasPosts: 2,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ryuugirifangirl, yes! So good. I feel like this hiatus is taking for ever though. Haha. Come on Kubo! We need more manga chapters please and thank youuu! (:
    I make videos 
    "Nerd like us are allowed to be unironically enthusiastic about stuff."
    I live in the land of the Last Ones

just finished Akira. #1 on my list of best manga. its sooooooooooooooooooooooooo gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!!!!

Martin Luther King, Jr.

• RyuugirifangirlRyuugirifangirl PolandPosts: 2
    Kelli said:
    OMG. BLEACH. I need someone to talk to about the most recent Bleach chapters!!!

• OlleOlle Posts: 289 ✭✭✭
    In general, I don't think of manga as separate from any other comics. The word manga just means "comics" in Japanese; the distinction just seems sort of Western and artificial. =)

Anyway hey look, an opportunity to rant about my favorite Japanese comic!

A lot of people watch Hayao Miyazaki's movies (Spirited Away; Howl's Moving Castle; you know the ones), but I think most people are unaware that his life's work is not a movie, but a comic! Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind was a comic before it was a film (the film was released during the production of the comic). It's a much, much grander and more complex story than the film, which somehow seems to have gotten more attention anyway (similar to Katsuhiro Otomo's Akira, which is also a much larger story than, and which I also recommend more than, its movie counterpart).

The comic is unusual in several ways. It took Miyazaki twelve years to complete; there are conflicting stories about precisely how and why it went into production (either because Miyazaki needed a comic on which to base a movie, or because he'd been promised that he wouldn't be forced to make a movie from it, which he eventually was); and it was drawn entirely in pencils. As a result, it has a very unique, wispy sort of art style. It reads like Lord of the Rings meets Final Fantasy meets Moebius, deals with themes like religion, empire, environmentalism and pacifism, and has a large and sprawling cast of characters. The only real problem I can think of with it is that the main character can be a bit boring and hyper-competent? But that's a small complaint because there's also Kurotowa, who is irreparably awesome.

Anyway it's basically one of my favorite comics ever since I first read it as a teenager, and has been a huge influence on me.

Stuff I make: webcomic (weekly); biology vlogs (every few months); tumblr posts (apparently)
  • I read more manga than anime, I get more privacy in a book. I've finished Fullmetal Alchemist and XXXholic, I'm nearly finished with Negima!, and otherwise, I read Alice in the Land of Hearts, Fruits Basket, Vampire Night, Rosario Vampire, and Fairy Tail.
  • clausitclausit EnglandPosts: 7,809 ✭✭✭✭
    I got a bunch of manga for Christmas and so far Vinland Saga is really good and I just started Death Note and I really like it. Once I'm done there I'll move onto 20th Century Boys, which just looks wierd.
    You will come to a place where the streets are not marked. Some windows are lighted but mostly they're darked. A place you could sprain both your elbow and chin. Do you dare to stay out? Do you dare to go in? How much can you lose? How much can you win?
  • OnTheMotorwayOnTheMotorway LondonPosts: 13
    Just finished the first volume of Pandora Hearts and it was great. I might try out the anime too but apparently it isn't really that good so idk though
    After I'm done I think I'll start on Fullmetal Alchemist and Death Note, and maybe Rosario + Vampire
  • tiagotheweirdotiagotheweirdo Lisbon, PortugalPosts: 75
    Right now I'm getting into Bad teacher's equation. It's a really funny, yaoi series. Super short though, only has about 40 episodes overall. I'd also love to get into Haikyuu and maybe Kuroko no Basuke, mainly because I love the animes.
  • schaheschahe Posts: 2
    I think an anime that gets overlooked is Katekyo Hitman Reborn because the first 20 episodes are pretty stupid and boring, but it gets really good after that and is still one of my favorites.