Other adaptions you'd like to see

So not really Lizzie Bennent related, but since this keeps popping up in various threads in here I thought I'd just give it it's own thread (and who knows maybe Hank and co will get ideas from here)

So what classics would you like to see done next?

Personally, I'd love to see Hamlet because I just really love Hamlet adaptions. I also think Atonement would be an interesting vlog style web series.
Let's be friends!  Message me if you need anything!

Comments

• ittakesiiittakesii Posts: 204 Admin
    Yes, always Hamlet. 
  • imarielleimarielle Posts: 356 Mod
    haha Julian how did I know you were going to reply with that
    Let's be friends!  Message me if you need anything!
  • katjazzkatjazz Posts: 80 ✭✭
    Animal Farm! :P

But actually, along the lines of Mr. Orwell, I think 1984 might be a really interesting adaptation. 
    I'm too enthusiastic about the miracle of human consciousness. 
  • NucleusDawnNucleusDawn Posts: 88 ✭✭
    I really wanted to see Day Z done this way. No special effects. No action. Just a guy interviewing people on the war. That would have been awesome, but Hollywood made sure that won't happen.
    It would be a little hard to do, because they'd need plenty of actors and an equal amount of settings.

Something in the vain of War of the Worlds could also be awesome. It'll be like a modern-day version of the original radio show, and also awesome.
    Some random guy, who lives in London, talking about what's going on. This could work really well!

Can't seem to think about any other ideas. I guess I just want to see this new medium/genre try and do a disaster-type piece.
    "Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
  • irisiris Posts: 12
    Now you've mentioned Atonement, I can totally imagine Briony as a vlogger. An annoying one, but still.
  • ButtersButters Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @NucleusDawn do you mean World War Z by Max Brooks? I thought Day Z was a game mod of some sort?

anyway I was discussing with someone elsewhere about The Great Gatsby. I'd also like to see something by Hemmingway or anything else with an unreliable narrator. (Ugh can't think, been awake too long, brain slowing to crawl...)
    Main Mafioso Manager
    Duckies!
    Land Of The Last Ones: Chef
    I make videos on the internet with some friends from right here on OP. You can watch them here!
  • misingnoglicmisingnoglic Posts: 36 ✭✭
    A great gatsby vlog would be interesting. 

“When people call people nerds, mostly what they’re saying is ‘you like stuff.’ Which is just not a good insult at all. Like, ‘you are too enthusiastic about the miracle of human consciousness’.”

AIM: Misingnoglic
    Butters said:
    anyway I was discussing with someone elsewhere about The Great Gatsby.
    :O That was with me! 
  • forgettingitsthereforgettingitsthere CanadaPosts: 1,512 ✭✭✭
    The Great Gatsby for sure.

I'd also be interested to see what would happen with fantasy. It could be an utter disaster admittedly but it could also be the best thing ever, really depends on the book I guess.

“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.” 

- George R.R. Martin

• evanna11evanna11 Posts: 82

Sticking with Austen, I'd say Mansfield Park. For some reason people often forget/haven't read that one, but its one of my favourites, and I'd love to see a modern adaption :)

baby, it's cold outside 
    ..hello there :)
  • NucleusDawnNucleusDawn Posts: 88 ✭✭
    Butters said:
    @NucleusDawn do you mean World War Z by Max Brooks? I thought Day Z was a game mod of some sort?

Yes... I did, in fact, mean World War Z :)
    "Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
  • LaisLais Posts: 140 ✭✭
    I think Romeo and Juliet would be hilarious in the contemporary context. Plus, it'd only run over a weekend...
    They did it on twitter and it was fantastic!

I don't know what I would like to see. I'm terrible at imagining what would work in this style of adaptationl.
    Keep calm and Brazil on.
  • DewdewDewdew Posts: 25
    I was thinking 'Lady Susan' by Jane Austen would make a great modern adaptation.

As a vlog series though it would have to have multiple vloggers (the story is told through a series of letters) but maybe as a movie.

For those who have never heard of Lady Susan, it is about a widow who is trying to force her daughter into marriage whilst also trying to seduce the young man her daughter is actually interested in.
  • hopeandcheerhopeandcheer Posts: 19
    I know it's been done a lot but if we want to keep it up with the Austen thing Emma would be great! 
    The Sand Child!
  • LunaticLOVEgoodLunaticLOVEgood Posts: 76 ✭✭
    I don't know if it's possible, but beauty of Pride and Prejudice is that it is timeless even though it's a period piece. But Little Dorrit is one of my all time favorite novels, if it were possible to find some kind of modern parallel to her father's Marshalsea  it might be very interesting.
  • amandafinlawamandafinlaw Posts: 49
    For some reason, I would absolutely love some Luna Lovegood vlogs. I have no idea why, but I think maybe post-HP Luna vlogs would be entertaining. And I agree with @katjazz about 1984, although that would be really difficult.
  • evaperevaper Posts: 7
    I think Shakespeare would be really fun to see - Hamlet would be great or As You Like It or Twelfth Night - you could see the perspective of the Rosalind or Viola trying to act like a guy.

I also agree that Gatsby would be really interesting.
  • amandafinlawamandafinlaw Posts: 49
    @evaper Oh! I like the idea of a Viola vlog :)
  • An adaption of Catcher in the Rye would be awesome, but I don't know how YouTube would feel about all the swearing.  It's pretty essential to his character.  I'd love to see Holden wander around New York with a camera, talking to the cab driver and Phoebe and the girls he meets up with.  You'd have to have a very good actor to play Holden.

Stop pretending art is hard.
  • I think Romeo and Juliet or the Great Gatsby would be good.
    One thing about the lizzie bennet dairies is that pride and prejudice is very well know. you dont need to have read the book to recognize the name Mr. Darcy.
    But theyd need to find another thing like that that everyone can find some familiarity with. 
  • I'd love to see "The Moonstone" by Wilkie Collins be adapted. It's got multiple narrators, drug addiction, racism, and it's from the freaking 1800's! It's quite good.
    "Who's scruffy-lookin'?"
  • FelbarashlaFelbarashla Posts: 3
    I vote for Emma or Little Women. I think they would both be good but could be confusing. Jane Eyre would probably translate better... Really as long as they do another story I'll be happy.
  • GenvieGenvie Posts: 92 ✭✭
    My friends and I were talking about a Gatsby vlog but discovered that it's not out of copyright yet in the US (it is for some other countries though). However, with a Gatsby vlog, I think that it would be a combination of talking to the camera in Nick's bedroom and taking his camera along with him. So half of the time he actually would be behind the camera capturing interesting moments that happen in Jay Gatsby's life, kind of like how LG15 took the camera around everywhere.

It would be cool to see a scifi or supernatural vlog style webseries that adapted and modernized books that are out of copyright like Frankenstein or Dracula. Although, there kind of is enough vampire stuff out there right now!
  • MirandaRuthMirandaRuth Posts: 42
    edited November 2012
    A couple of people have suggested Little Women, and I think that's could be a fantastic idea. Plus it's in the public domain. 

But it would be hard to have it span span across 10 or 15 years the way Little Women does. Plus it would be SO SAD when Beth died.
    by MirandaRuth
  • ashsayshelloashsayshello AustraliaPosts: 2,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Romeo and Juliet would be an interesting one, but it would have to be a mini webseries, because the play only spans a few days.

I personally would love to see Wuthering Heights... no idea how they would go about it though. But I completely agree with Little Women, I think that would be fantastic. Or Jane Eyre. :)
    "Like cheese in our pockets, these are the Pizzas in Our Pants." | I live in the land of the Last Ones