Other adaptions you'd like to see

Comments

• IronAnimationIronAnimation Posts: 155 ✭✭✭
    Also kind of want a Jane Eyre, just to see how they handle the..darker parts.
    Have a pleasant day
  • BananaBanana Posts: 37
    Twelfth Knight, definitely Twelfth Knight. That Amanda Bynes movie did not do it justice. 
    -SH
  • I cannot stop thinking about Gatsby as a possibility. I think they could do some really cool stuff with that. In my head, Nick is vlogging about a cross-country road trip with Gatsby, and they slowly pick up friends along the way. I think almost any classic could work, though.

• i'd love to see an adaptation of The Picture of Dorian Gray.
    but that's a quite a bit less light-hearted than P&P 
    :/
    “To think, a sweater, is made entirely of knots. My stomach could clothe a village.”
    — Andrea Gibson
  • celesicelesi Posts: 71 ✭✭
    Gatsby, Hamlet and Little Women all seem like great ideas.  On other Jane Austen novels, I always loved Sense and Sensibility.
  • AsleeAslee Posts: 8
    I know it's been done a lot but if we want to keep it up with the Austen thing Emma would be great! 
    YES. As we've seen from other adaptations, Emma translates perfectly into modern times, but I think the ways she match-makes would fold wonderfully into the world of shipping and key-smashes. 

As for other adaptations, I think... maybe the Count of Monte Cristo would ? It would be seriously interesting to watch unfold, even though I have no idea how they'd pull that one off! I'm not even really sure who would be vlogging, to be honest.
  • adeleawesomeadeleawesome Posts: 15
    I would love to see a Jane Eyre adaption! :)
  • GenvieGenvie Posts: 92 ✭✭
    The problem with Emma is it would be compared to Clueless (which was a modern adaptation of it). Of course, I can see a vlog style webseries of Emma being a lot different than Clueless, I'm just saying that it would be compared to it. But Emma could be fun to watch. There's definitely a lot of drama and match making to keep viewers entertained.
  • ChristyWhoChristyWho Posts: 133 ✭✭✭
    Great Expectations? I think Pip would be a very unreliable narrator, which would add some interest, since you wouldn't quite know how honest he was being. Sort of like how Lizzie's opinions of people distort her telling of events.
    Watch me and 13 other nerdfighters on Strangerhood 2.0
  • MishiewishieMishiewishie Posts: 82 ✭✭
    nedamarie said:
    The Catcher in the Rye would be amazing (and hilarious). Especially if someone could shoot it on location and all, like a travel vlog or something like that, you know what I mean? 

I agree with this wholeheartedly! I vote for this! :)) It would be a different way to use the medium--travel vlogs or something more like the style of Lydia's vlogs. Plus, I can imagine Holden talking at the speed of Vlogbrothers.
    Always the tone of surprise.

• CellistPondCellistPond Posts: 340 ✭✭✭
    @ashsayshello I just had this feeling that Romeo and Juliet would be hilarious since like...teens and texting and "I met you 4 hours ago BUT I LOVE YOU AND MARRY ME K?"
    Oh look! A wild signature!
    If I'm not posting here, I might be tweeting
    or sleeping or working
  • ButtersButters Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see all the talk about a Gatsby adaptation and I completely forgot there is a whole studio movie coming out for it. Is anyone interested in that? Plus sadly I think that takes it off the table for hank and company.
    Main Mafioso Manager
    Duckies!
    Land Of The Last Ones: Chef
    I make videos on the internet with some friends from right here on OP. You can watch them here!
  • ZbartleyZbartley Posts: 14
    nedamarie said:
    The Catcher in the Rye would be amazing (and hilarious). Especially if someone could shoot it on location and all, like a travel vlog or something like that, you know what I mean? 

A Thoughts from Places!! I like this one.
    Many people have suggested Jane Eyre, and I think that could work really well. Like, REALLY REALLY well.

I also love the idea of World War Z, but it'd be more of an interview/oral history series than a vlog. That would be excellent and all, but there may be some problems with copyright permission and collaboration and the fact that there is (what looks like) a (terrible) movie coming out soon.

Midsummer's Night Dream, anyone? So many characters, so hilarious already, so easily adaptable. Plus,
    the scene where the parents (I forget their names) find the lovers naked as the lovers awake... naked
    I'd be dying of laughter to see that well performed in a vlog. Maybe they could quickly cut between everyone's awkward, embarrassed, silent faces. I'd like that.
  • GenvieGenvie Posts: 92 ✭✭
    @Butters

I don't see why a movie adaptation of Gatsby set in the '20s would take if off of the table. A modern, vlog version of Gatsby would be very different and I am sure that it would draw in a lot of interest. There are a ton of P & P versions and book adaptations out there and a few of them have been released recently. The main reason why I don't see them ever considering Gatsby right now is because it isn't out of copyright in the US. It's unfortunate because I think that Gatsby would make an amazing modern, vlog adaptation.
  • CleodelCleodel Posts: 44 ✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Twelfth Night would be amazing! I'd like to see Persuasion or Northanger Abbey as well. The Count of Monte Cristo would be rather interesting!
    It could be from Albert's perspective - I heard Dumas was originally going to do this anyway.

I probably wouldn't enjoy a vlog-style version of Anna Karenina personally, though. T.T

by Cleodel
    |  tumblr  |   zazzle   |  deviantart  |
  • KnyxKnyx Posts: 126 ✭✭✭
    @Zbartly ; What scene are we talking about exactly?  Was it added in to a movie adaptation, because I am almost positive that isn't in the actual story.  Also, Midsummer has far too many viewpoints to ever work as a vlog, especially when you consider the mechanicals and fairies.
    A 14 year old male living near Boston who likes hiking, life, learning, and nice people.
  • JenniPowellJenniPowell Posts: 1
    I'm really enjoying this thread.  Keep the thoughts coming!  :)
  • nickgreydennickgreyden Posts: 63 ✭✭✭
    Lord of the Flies from Percival's POV. The only problem is that I don't see a way it could be done without it being filmed outside which raises a lot of problems. Still I would love to see it. It could be shot with a camera phone.

Fahrenheit 451 is another one that would be kinda cool, but like LotF, it is the future looking back, but still interesting.

Labels define no one. Labels are what we give ourselves so others know generally what we care about, and a starting place to get to know us as a person -- usually as someone not fitting a label.
  • AudaciousAudacious Posts: 13
    edited January 2013
    While I agree Romeo and Juliet would be hilarious, I don't think it'd be great for a webseries because 
    A. It would last several episodes, that all come out in the span of a few days. (And that's a bit of a load for viewers)
    B. The entire thing would be exactly as @cellistpond said. "I LUV HER" "Rosaline is beautiful" "Wat who? No I love Juliet, we gonna get married" 
    C. This would cause me to only hate them more because in a modern day setting, they'd be two idiot rich kids who, while they can get whatever they want, choose to be in a gang and carry guns with them at all times and are impatient for everything because they are used to getting whatever they want and just overall douches. (Run-on rant)

by Audacious
  • ballerinacsballerinacs Posts: 1
    I would love to see A Series of Unfortunate Events as a web series, though that would be a huge investment. There are a lot of books. It's also not a classic, but must we stick to classic literature?

Also Anne of Green Gables and Peter Pan (J.M. Barrie, not Disney). I especially think Pan could be fantastic, if done right.
  • shaunaaaahshaunaaaah Posts: 113 ✭✭
    edited January 2013
    I agree with Little Women.
    Anne of Green Gables would work, or A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, maybe Breakfast of Champions or just about any Vonnegut.
    by shaunaaaah
  • nickcurrynickcurry Posts: 139 ✭✭

I agree with Twelfth Night. Or maybe Much Ado About Nothing? I mean, it's kinda like LBD with either Beatrice's or Benedict's viewpoint.

But I do believe the one adaption they will probably never ever make is Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None because plot-wise, it's practically impossible but if they do, they'll be taking awesome to a whole new level, like seriously.

• Bee12Bee12 Posts: 102 ✭✭
    I would love to see Northanger Abbey done going with the Austen theme, though Emma would translate quite nicely into a vlog.
  • ArielAriel Posts: 146 ✭✭✭

I could definitely see Emma working really well. Part of me can imagine Mr. Knightley coming through Emma's bedroom window like Joey on Dawson's Creek or Sam, I think, on Clarissa Explains It All.

• BaileyBailey New England, USAPosts: 37 ✭✭
    The Emily of New Moon trilogy by L.M. Montgomery. I'm not sure how this one would work, exactly, since the time period is so crucial to the story....... but I think it could be done. Emily loves writing already, so we'd just add in that she likes vlogging as well. :) 
    balailey.blogspot.com 

https://www.giveforward.com/fundraiser/wj76/bring-emily-back-to-good-health <-- Please share this site for my friend! She's in pain and needs your help. This is an authorized GiveForward fundraiser.
  • QablunaQabluna Posts: 13
    edited February 2013
    Are her books in the public domain? I think Bernie mentioned LMM in the list of 'the type of authors we'd choose from' for a future adaptation in a recent interview, but I'm fairly certain that many of her works, esp the Anne books, are still copyrighted by her family, based on a vague recollection of a news article I read a few years back.

ETA: It looks like I may have been wrong, as I see several of her books on Project Gutenberg, which usually is a good sign that they're now in the Public Domain.
    by Qabluna
  • luinspaceluinspace Posts: 39 ✭✭
    Sticking wih Austen, Northanger Abbey could be great and so hilarious! Catherine would be such an unreliable and naive vlogger, I think it could really work well.
    Crime and Punishment would also be interesting, though quite difficult - almost impossible but nothing's impossible - to pull off. But could you imagine Raskolnikov's vlog? Priceless. I mean, if they do that, I'm starting a religion.
    "O grant that like to Peter I / May like to Peter B / And tell me lovely Jesus Y / Old Jonah went to C." - John Keats
    twitter || tumblr (aka an ungodly mess and don't say I didn't warn ya)
  • missMorticiamissMorticia Posts: 49 ✭✭
    Twilight, just cos you could.
    I aim to misbehave. 
  • SophieSophie Posts: 15
    Jane Eyre definitely, but now that someone has mentioned the LM Montgomery I really want to see that. Especially the Emily books, there's so many misunderstandings and people with different agendas that I think it would be really fun. Plus we could also have Ilse vlogging and that would be hilarious.
  • geekacrossthestreetgeekacrossthestreet Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    Jane Eyre makes the most sense to me. I'd love to see it :)