Who should be the Democratic presidential candidate?

VoyagerSTVoyagerST Posts: 111 ✭✭
edited January 2016 in Politics & Current Events
I'm curious what the opinion is among Nerdfighters.
That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering [...] every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our speicies lived there - on a mote or dust suspended in a sunbeam. -Carl Sagan

Who should be the Democratic presidential candidate? 24 votes

Bernie Sanders
87% 21 votes
Hillary Clinton
12% 3 votes

Comments

• RolloRollo Operative 6081, MiniTrue Airstrip Three, OceaniaPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭
    https://berniesanders.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Medicare-for-All.pdf

Even if her achieves nothing else. This will have been worth it.

Universal health care is something which should have been given to America in the 1950s. The fact that Nixon trashed it so badly and that politicians from both sides have repeatedly kicked the American people in the guts and the face, is reprehensible.
    "I speak an infinite deal of nothing and I am not bound to please thee with my answers."

I've written four books - you might like to buy them: Linky - Doobly Doo
  • Lavache_BeadsmanLavache_Beadsman New YorkPosts: 661 ✭✭✭
    As those who've read some of my posts on this forum may know, I'm pretty far left. But I would vote Republican before I cast a ballot for Clinton. She cannot be trusted with the power that comes with the Oval Office, as she's abused virtually every post she's ever held.

Not to mention, I quite like that Sanders fellow.
  • VoyagerSTVoyagerST Posts: 111 ✭✭
    Well, it depends on what Republican. I'm not sure of Clinton's sincerity and honesty, but I'd take her over Donald Trump (who will likely be the Republican candidate) any day.
    That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering [...] every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our speicies lived there - on a mote or dust suspended in a sunbeam. -Carl Sagan
    edited January 2016
    I live in NY, so by the time the general election rolls around, my vote essentially doesn't matter in our winner-take-all electoral system, given that the Democratic candidate has won every presidential election in our state since Reagan. That said, I probably wouldn't vote for Trump, but I'd certainly vote Green in protest, if push came to shove.
    by Lavache_Beadsman
    Good point about NY. I live in NY too, but I won't be of voting age by the next election (I won't turn 18 until the following June, which is...frustrating). At the moment, I'm just really hoping Bernie Sanders takes the Democratic primaries. If he does, I'm fairly certain he'll be able to win against Trump. I'm not so certain of Hillary, although I haven't seen her poll numbers against Trump. Of course if our congress stays at its current composition (mostly Republican), Bernie won't be able to get any legislation through, though he might be able to get through more than Obama, since I suspect some of the Republican congressmen just want to give him a hard time because he's black. On a related note, I've never understood why people are so wrapped up in race and nationality and ethnicity and gender and sexual orientation and gender identity as means of judging people.
    Also, I feel like Bernie is very sincere, especially for a politician. He's a political activist and his track record shows it. Then you have Hillary suddenly supporting same-sex marriage after the SCOTUS decision in June. I agree with nearly all of Sander's policies, but even if I didn't I think I would still respect him.

my vote essentially doesn't matter in our winner-take-all electoral system

I am disappointed with this attitude.
    If you don't vote, you send a signal by default that you are fine with whoever wins.

I encourage everyone who disagrees to voice dissent through the ballot box. There were 126 million sheep in the last presidential election. They need to be yelled at (as does everyone since about the time of John Adams onwards).
    I don't live in America but even so, in my country I am one of the 21.07% of the population who didn't vote for a major party.
    "I speak an infinite deal of nothing and I am not bound to please thee with my answers."

I understand not caring about getting out to vote, but I think it's important. Like @Rollo said, too many people DON'T vote and it really causes a skew in the political system. People who think "my vote won't count" are almost always wrong. It could always be that year the New York goes red, and no one wants that since Donald Trump is likely going to be the Republican candidate.

Also, I was thinking about something Hank and John were discussing the other day on Dear Hank and John. They pointed out that US political discourse has degraded so much that there is as much yelling and spewing twisted statistics - on both sides - as there is serious, honest, respectful discussion.

It actually would be really great to get someone more conservative in on this discussion because, as liberal as I am, I'm always willing to hear the other side, something I don't think I do enough.
    VoyagerST said:

too many people DON'T vote and it really causes a skew in the political system. People who think "my vote won't count" are almost always wrong

I will say to those people that think "my vote won't count" that it currently doesn't BECAUSE they do not.

2012:
    Obama - 65,915,796 votes
    Romney - 60,933,500 votes

Both would have lost to:
    Laziness - 104,205,888 votes

edited January 2016
    Rollo said:

my vote essentially doesn't matter in our winner-take-all electoral system

I am disappointed with this attitude.
    If you don't vote, you send a signal by default that you are fine with whoever wins.

Oh no, you've misunderstood me. I still vote in all local, state, and federal elections, and I urge others to do the same. But realistically, in the presidential election, NYS will almost certainly go to the Democratic candidate.

My stance on not-voting is essentially "People died so you can vote. Don't be a moron."
    by Lavache_Beadsman
    edited January 2016
    My stance on not-voting is essentially "People died so you can vote. Don't be a moron."

I like that! (And I'm really sorry if it seemed like we were attacking you.)

How do you quote people? I try clicking the little quote button below a post but it doesn't do anything except copy the post to the comment box. (I know this really belongs over in Q&A, but if there's a really quick answer that would be great.)
    by VoyagerST
    VoyagerST said:

How do you quote people? I try clicking the little quote button below a post but it doesn't do anything except copy the post to the comment box.

It does copy the post to the comment box; complete with relevant opening and ending tags. Cut stuff out, hack out the bits you don't want; voila!

But realistically, in the presidential election, NYS will almost certainly go to the Democratic candidate.

I also suffer from this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Division_of_Chifley

Ed Husic (Labor) and Isabelle White (Liberal) got preferences 8 & 9 on my ballot paper in the last election.

Rollo said:

It does copy the post to the comment box; complete with relevant opening and ending tags. Cut stuff out, hack out the bits you don't want; voila!

I missed the beginnings and endings. I think I was clipping them out too.