The recent Star Wars film pays homage to its predecessors (particular, episodes IV, V and VI.) This thread seeks to list some scenes that reflect this idea. Feel free to contribute.
- Battles in sand (Tatooine/Jaku), snow (Starkiller Base/Hoth), and the forest (Forest Moon of Endor/Takodana)
- Important figure (Leia Organa/Poe Dameron) is captured, but not before giving vital information to a trusted droid (R2-D2/BB-8)
- Hero in Storm Trooper armor rescuing important figure (Finn/Luke Skywalker rescuing Poe Dameron/Leia Organa)
- Orphaned hero stranded in desert reluctantly joins struggle (Luke Skywalker/Rey)
- Sith Apprentice (Kylo Ren/Darth Vader) answers to large hologram of Dark Sith Lord (Snoke/Darth Sidious)
- Leia: There is still light in him, I know it (Ben Solo)
Luke: There is good in him, I've felt it (Anakin Skywalker)
- Han Solo (to son, Ben Solo): You know it's true.
Anakin Skywalker (to son, Luke Skywalker): You know it to be true.
- Mentor figure slain by pupil (Han Solo/Obi-Wan Kenobi by Ben Solo/Anakin Skywalker)
- Destruction of planet(s) by large space station (Alderaan/Hosnian System by Deathstar/Starkiller Base)
- Han Solo being confronted by clients whom he swindled (statement might need grammar check)
- Where the Empire was given The Imperial March, the Resistance is given the March of the Resistance
- A large space battle (Battle of Endor/Battle of Starkiller Base)
- Enemy shields must be lowered by heroes (Rebellion/Resistance) in order to inflict damage onto giant space station (Death Star II/Starkiller Base)
- Hero (Lando Calrissian/Poe Dameron) pilots ship (Millenium Falcon/X-Wing) into space station (Death Star II/Starkiller Base) to blow a bunch of stuff up
- Old Jedi (Obi-Wan Kenobi/Luke Skywalker) becomes a recluse after pupil (Anakin Skywalker/Ben Solo) turns to the Dark Side