Very adulting nerdfighters?

I am an adult. Ok, middle aged {shudder} but I swear that is the last curse word I use.

So I am looking for more adulting nerdfighters to get to know. Although, I swear hanging out with my children (19) I do not feel like I am old enough to have 19 year old kids.

Things I wonder, is it harder now that you are an Adult (you know with job/career/responsibilities) to truly express the nerdfighter in you, or do you care less about what others think?

Comments

• Gara_the_engineerGara_the_engineer In a log house at the edge of the forestPosts: 605 ✭✭✭
    I don't know if 25 counts as "very adult"... probably not. It's just two or three years ago that I realised that hey, I'm actually GROWN UP! But from this perspective, I think it's easier to express my nerdfigherness, mostly because I feel much more secure in myself than I did a few years ago. I guess I haven't yet reached the age where people expect you to act fully "mature" (i.e. boring), so that probably makes it easier. Both of my older close friends (around 40) are nerdy in their own ways, but they seldom express it publicly and at least one of them avoid it because he feels that people would disapprove of his behaviour if he'd act too "childish" (he's pretty insecure and seldom dares doing things that people disapprove of). So I guess it depends both on how adult you're seen as, and on how secure you feel about yourself.
    The meaning of life is to give life a meaning
  • KiarKiar Elsewhere Posts: 14,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haha, similarly I am a 24-but-almost-25 nerdfighter here, and I would consider myself an adult (even if I don't feel VERY adult. I just recently started learning all about 401ks and investing and all that jazz. Hooo boy.)

As for your question, I don't really feel it is harder to express my nerdy interests, though that may be because I am still a relatively young adult. I have several work friends with similar interests, and most of us are fairly open about our nerdiness. I have spent the last year or so "testing the waters" of my workplace, seeing how much expressed nerdiness I can get away with before it's deemed unprofessional. We have to dress business/business-casual, but I've found that so long as I keep my desk clean I can decorate it with pretty much whatever (safe-for-work) pictures/figurines I like. I also frequently wear nerdy earrings (lightsabers, legos, pokeballs,) and so far I've only received compliments. Things might be different if I worked with the customers, but as a programmer/lowly engineer I don't see that happening anytime in the near future.
    "A ship is always safer at the shore, but that is not what it is built for."
    My writing project
  • sdirstinesdirstine Posts: 3
    Hi I am a 'very adult' nerdfighter. 46 (almost 47) with two kids age 16 and 19. I do find it is harder as an adult to spend time on your passions like when I was younger. When I was a teenager I would stay up all night reading my favorite science fiction book, but with adult responsibilities I don't really do that anymore. (reading all night and sleeping all day isn't really an option when you have a job and kids to care for). As far as 'caring less about what other think', I guess that is true. I was a nerdy, math and science fiction loving kid and I guess I didn't really know how to be any other way, but I did feel the sting of social rejection. Now I just don't care that much.
  • defineluludefinelulu DFW, TexasPosts: 26
    - I am 34 and always have to check to figure out my age. Because it's too much trouble to pay attention to that.
    - I have a 15 year old son.
    - I have a lot of gray hair.
    - I don't care what anyone thinks and that has been persistent throughout my life. I am a bit of a mule.
    - I have never thought maturity equates to age or the ability to remain staunchly responsible. Maturity is the ability to, not make repeated mistakes and also perhaps have gained some wisdom in life.
    - I think anyone (regardless of age) can balance a variant of interests, altruistic ideas, and a "punk rock" attitude.

*Semi related - My knees have become more displeased each year. If going by the barometer of knees, I'd say I have no hope.
  • johnhmaloneyjohnhmaloney Whiting, NJPosts: 300 ✭✭✭
    I'm also very adult (44) and I still publicly express my nerdiness whenever possible, usually via t-shirts. Due to being in a wheelchair, I learned at a young age not to care what anyone thought of me and it's definitely served me well as I've gotten older. I figure that as long as I'm able to fulfill my responsibilities and I'm not hurting anyone, then what I enjoy and how I express myself is no one else's business.
  • RialVestroRialVestro Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    I learned at an early age not to care what others think. I tried to change everything about myself just to fit in with the popular kids. No matter what they still found other reasons to make fun of me.

As an adult I think it's even easier to be myself... Especially working in a career where other people have the same interests I do rather than being shoved in a place where everyone has different goals for when they grow up, it's a lot less common to run into bullies. It does still happen as evidence by my termination but in seven years of employment I only met three people who I really didn't get along with. In school years, in that same amount of time I would of had about twenty one different bullies bothering me.

I've also found that when you're a kid everyone has things they think are embarrassing but really aren't. For example, with really little kids, wetting the bed might be an issue you're embarrassed about. As a kid you may not even realize other children your age are going threw the same thing. But when you get to be my age and you start dealing with really little kids then you start noticing they're all doing the same thing. Every kid thinks every other kid their age has already stopped doing that so they become embarrassed whenever they have an accident themselves. They never realize that their friends have accidents too because no one wants to admit that they peed in their sleep.

I was one of those kids. I use to make up excuses why we couldn't have sleep overs because I didn't want my friends finding out about it. It's only now that I realize a lot of Kindergartners sleep with plastic sheets.

Another thing I use to find embarrassing... sleeping with stuffed animals... I also find this a little sexist because it's a problem that really only seems to effect boys. Girls can have stuffed animals well into adulthood and no one cares but if you're a boy for some reason having stuffed animals makes you a baby. There was a time I would hide them or put them in my brother's room and say they were his when friends came over.

This also carries over to watching Pre-school shows. Once you get to a certain age it's no longer socially acceptable to be watching them. Unless you have a little brother or sister... or in my case an older brother who's mentally challenged... But as an adult surprisingly no one seems to care if you have kids or not. I can fully admit that I watch Rescue Bots and no one asks "You mean with your kids right?" Maybe they just assume that anyway, I don't know.

Although that being said, I watched three seasons of Rescue Bots by myself... I would of watched with my step son who's eight but my ex doesn't get that channel. However now I can watch it on my tablet so the fourth season we're watching together. I don't feel like I need to use him as an excuse to watch it but rather I'm using it as an excuse to spend time with him.
    by RialVestro
    Ni, peng, nee-wom! Ecky, ecky, ecky, pakang, zoom-ping! Baa weep grahna weep ninny bong!
  • RolloRollo Operative 6081, MiniTrue Airstrip Three, OceaniaPosts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    These things are ranked in order:

1976 - Brady Haran
    1977 - Hal Lublin
    1977 - John Green
    1978 - Rollo
    1979 - Mark Gagliardi
    1980 - Hank Green
    1981 - CGP Grey

"I speak an infinite deal of nothing and I am not bound to please thee with my answers."

I've written four books - you might like to buy them: Linky - Doobly Doo
  • MonaMona Posts: 38 ✭✭
    I'm 31, but I think it's just a number to be honest. Yes, I'm an adult with a mortgage to pay and all the other fun things, but I also make sure I tell everyone at work I'm a total nerd :p I wouldn't say I feel that grown up? I'm responsible...but that doesn't take away from expressing myself.
    "Nothing happens unless first a dream" - Carl Sandburg

Goodreads Profile
  • sdirstinesdirstine Posts: 3
    Any adult nerdfighters planning on going to nerdcon stories in Minneapolis? I would love to meet some fellow adult nerds.
  • AprilDawn351AprilDawn351 Middle of Nowhere, NE FL USAPosts: 7
    I'm 32? I'm bad at dates lol. I've wavered through my adult life and I think I've finally found my happy nerd level. It helps that I own my own business and I get to decide what our public image is. I even gothed out the other day! Mostly I have to dress and act at least a little professional because I'm the face of the business. It doesn't help that most people define a nerd a certain way and I've never fit that! I have never liked video games or anime and I stink at math and computers. I'm okay with that now though. I can proudly say I'm a doctor who, religion, psychology, sociology and economics nerd. And I even asked for educational audio books this year! Someday I will even be comfortable referring to myself as a high priestess!
    I'm gonna need a bigger flowchart!

I'm 32? I'm bad at dates lol. I've wavered through my adult life and I think I've finally found my happy nerd level. It helps that I own my own business and I get to decide what our public image is. I even gothed out the other day! Mostly I have to dress and act at least a little professional because I'm the face of the business. It doesn't help that most people define a nerd a certain way and I've never fit that! I have never liked video games or anime and I stink at math and computers. I'm okay with that now though. I can proudly say I'm a doctor who, religion, psychology, sociology and economics nerd. And I even asked for educational audio books this year! Someday I will even be comfortable referring to myself as a high priestess!

Well the origin of the word is something bullies used to insult people who were generally smarter than them. It became a stereotype for nerds to look and act a certain way. There's even movies and plays about the true stereotypical nerd.

However in more recent years nerd has become a more broad term that people use to define themselves. You can be a nerd about anything not just school or DnD. You don't need to wear glasses, braces, suspenders, and a pocket protector to be a nerd anymore.

I don't think that anyone here would really be classified as a nerd in that original definition. At least judging by the ones who actually have pictures... Hank is probably the closest to that and even he isn't really. But since Nerd isn't really defined by others anymore, we define who we are, anyone can be a nerd.

I've never played Dungeons and Dragons by the way. That game is commonly associated with Nerds but I've never had any desire to play it. I only mentioned it cause of the stereotype that comes with it.
    Ni, peng, nee-wom! Ecky, ecky, ecky, pakang, zoom-ping! Baa weep grahna weep ninny bong!
  • AprilDawn351AprilDawn351 Middle of Nowhere, NE FL USAPosts: 7
    @RialVestro Thank you for that. I've never played either. I tried to learn once but 5min in I was completely lost lol. Same with the Pokemon card games.

ps. Come back here! I'll bite your knees off!
    I'm gonna need a bigger flowchart!
    I did play the Pok'emon card game when I was a kid. However I gave away most of my Pok'emon cards to my former stage manager's at the time four year old step son... who I only just realized would be 16 now... gawd I feel old.

p.s. I'm 30, why shouldn't I post in the Adult section?
  • TexasFriedEwokTexasFriedEwok TexasPosts: 2
    I love being an adult nerd...if anything, I'm more comfortable. I agree part of it is just caring less about what other people think, but being able to laugh at yourself helps too. People at work make fun of my Harry Potter obsession, but more with me than at me now. Plus I get really cool Christmas gifts because everyone knows what I like. :) And now that my daughter is really getting into her own things, like My Little Pony, I find I'm more willing than other parents to pretend or discuss her "fandom" with her because I totally get it.
  • mattig89chmattig89ch Port Jefferson, NYPosts: 2
    I just turned 30. Not sure how adult I am, or how comfortable I am with it.

I can't really say I have kids, and I don't think I'll ever have any. Not for lack of desire, but lack of a willing partner.

Even still, I play video games, have a pair of wookie slippers that I love, and a bluetooth TOS communicator. I very much love my nerdiness, and fictional universes. So I'm very much a nerd. But an adult? Not sure about that one.
    Well legally if you're over 18 you're an adult. I'm not exactly sure how you're an adult when you're still technically a teenager till you're 20 and you still can't legally drink till you're 21 but by 30 you are most definitely an adult. It doesn't really matter if you still have kid things. I mean my dad is in his late 50's and he still has tones of Star Trek toys... most of which is in storage because he doesn't have room to display his entire collection. He would have more room if my parents ever got divorced or my mom passed away because he stuff takes up most of the space in the house. My dad's stuff is limited to just what he can fit in the shelves next to his computer.

Anyway I'm also 30 and my bedroom looks like a kid's room. I have Transformers EVERYWHERE. Seriously the shelves to my left is where I keep all the different incarnations of Optimus and Megatron. On top of my TV to my right I currently have seven different incarnations of Bumblebee. In front of that I've improvised a display for my War for/Fall Of Cybertron collection. On top on my X-Box is my custom display stand which I've kind of built into a TARDIS interior for my Titanium War Within The Fallen (The guy in my avatar in case you don't know who that is). Behind on my dresser I have Human Alliance Bumblebee and Sideswipe alone with deluxe versions of the same characters, Animated Wreck-Gar, and Generations Junkheap (Also known as Junkyard) riding the Generations version of Wreck-Gar. (Generations Junkions are Motorcycles and they're designed to be able to ride each other.)

On my desk in front of me is my Prime Vehicons, my Animated and Generations Blitzwings, and other various Transformers which are cluttering up my desk and I really need to either put into storage or find a better place for. Some of the stuff I don't mind staying on my desk but most of it is just tucked away behind the monitor where I can't even see them.

There's also tons of other Transformers that are already in storage because I don't have room to display them. The stuff around my desk is typically where I end up putting things that I don't know what I want to do with.

Oh yeah and there's also a small table between my computer and the TV with Transformers on it... plus that's also where I keep my TARDIS ordainment for most of the year when it's not on the tree like it is right now. My sonic screwdrivers are on that table. The Transformers I have displayed there are RID Fracture with two different versions of Prime Arcee and a Generations Chromia. They're all blue motorcycles... or at least to me they are. I'm color blind. Next to that is Waspinator, Rattrap, and Arcee all from the Generations toy line and Masterpiece Spike Witwicky in his Exo-Suit from the 1986 movie which came with one of the Bumblebees sitting on top of my TV.

Oh and there's a file cabnet behind me I almost forgot about that has B'Boom, Titans Return Sentinel Prime, and Masterpiece Skywarp sitting on it.

I think my new years resolution should be to clean my room. Mainly my desk cause I'm pretty OK with most of the other stuff... I was kind of hoping to sell all my old Power Rangers junk so I could use that box to store the extra Transformers in but it doesn't look like that's ever going to happen. There's a new movie coming next year too and I guess no one wants any retro 90's Power Rangers anymore. :P I stopped collecting Power Rangers after In Space ended. There was a period for a while when I actually completely lost touch with reality and thought they were real. I try to avoid anything Power Rangers now. I don't what it is about that franchise but I have to keep constantly reminding myself that it's fiction. So I really should not have this stuff in my house anymore.