Neutral Milk Hotel

jneels25jneels25 Posts: 12
Any NMH fans?

Is your favorite album Over Avery Island or ITAOTS?
Favorite song?
Favorite lyric?

Comments

• valerie2776valerie2776 Missoula, MTPosts: 264 Admin
    Awwww yes. Aeroplane is perfect and wonderful and good. So is On Avery Island. I also really, really, really like the Everything Is ep, and Everything Is the song is one of my favorite NMH tracks. It's perfect to listen to while taking a walk on a brisk fall day.

I want to see Jeff live. I need to. I must! Come to Ohio, Mr Mangum.

Any NMH fans should check out their book in the 33 1/3 series...it chronicles Mangum's early musical exploits, the founding of Elephant 6, and the creation of ITAOTS. It's not extraordinarily well written, but the sheer fascinatingness of its content makes up for that.
  • NekomancerNekomancer Posts: 87 ✭✭
    Gotta go with ITAOTS, and Ghost. Such amazing music! And incredibly talented artists. I had the opportunity to see Jeff Magnum & Scott Spillane in concert a few months ago, and it was awesome, especially due to how little I expected such an opportunity to ever present itself. I hope they continue to tour in the future, and maybe make some new music if we're all extremely lucky.
  • shakes1327shakes1327 Posts: 37 ✭✭
    valerie2776 said:

I want to see Jeff live. I need to. I must! Come to Ohio, Mr Mangum.

I saw Jeff Mangum live this summer. Strangest experience ever. It was at a folk music festival, so it was pretty much a giant field with people lounging on blankets and semi-watching the stage or the big video screens. Terrible venue for this artist. There was a small group of people who actually wanted to see JM, a whole bunch of people who had heard a lot of buzz and were curious, and even more people who could have cared less. He was the last act of the night, so there was a strange exodus of uninterested people packing up blankets and trying to leave in the dark before he came on, while fans tried to push forward to be near the front. Then they announced that at JM's request, the video screens would be turned off. Oh the grumbling! Fans panicked that they wouldn't be able to see and pushed further forward, and the curious began packing up as it became clear they wouldn't be able to see a thing. There wasn't much to see, anyway. Just a guy with a cap, sitting on a chair midstage with a guitar. (In fact, the festival tweeted just that: "Let's respect an artists wishes. It's all about the music. If you cant see him here's a report: black cap, plaid shirt, guy with a guitar.")

Anyway, eventually I found myself a place to stand near the front, got my glimpse of Mangum, then just closed my eyes and listened. And the giant field somehow turned into an intimate venue, surrounded by people who were all experiencing the same thing the same way. And JM said things like "This is a song from the start of the period where I went into a different part of my head where the songs come from". And the encore of "In the Aeroplane" was beautiful and we all sang along and I was so happy and satisfied that I decided to drive 4 hours home that night rather than stay for another two days of festival goodness because I knew nothing could top that.

So... yeah, you should probably try to see Jeff Mangum live if the chance ever arises. ;)
    Oooh, in writing this post, I found someone managed to actually get a picture of that night! I remember being really surprised by his appearance...
    @shakes1327 Oh lordy, Jeff playing a giant stage like that...the mental picture is hilarious. And also amazing that he could transfigure it into such an intimate experience. All my friends who have seen him recently have described the event like you did--transforming and spiritual and moving and otherworldy. The man is not merely human. I'm jealous!!
    This literally just popped up in my twitter feed...

Neutral Milk Hotel's Jeff Mangum Announces Massive U.S. Tour

Go forth and see the man live, friends!
  • ButtersButters Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you John for introducing me to this band. I love aeroplane and I know it's an odd choice but I love Two Headed Boy
    Main Mafioso Manager
    Duckies!
    Land Of The Last Ones: Chef
    I make videos on the internet with some friends from right here on OP. You can watch them here!
  • suchduckssuchducks cat-i-tude crew FloridaPosts: 51 Mod
    Listening to Aeroplane right now (as a follow up to 'Hospice'), got my Jeffy M tickets yesterday! $70 bucks! Thrilled.

• NekomancerNekomancer Posts: 87 ✭✭
    Been hooked on this song from their boxset lately, My Dream Girl Don't Exist: 
    YEAH I'm gonna see Jeff in January I'm so excited I cannot calm down about this.
  • NinaNina Posts: 57
    I love NMH though I do have to say that I have to be in a certain moon to listen to them. Not always my band of choice, but when I'm in the mood, there's nothing better!
  • Sammich117Sammich117 Posts: 302 Admin
    Jeff is coming to Tallahassee (where I live) and I desperately want to go! It's free for students and $20 for general admission.. I have no idea if I'm going to be on call that night or if I'll get out early enough to be one of the first 1000 students so I'm so torn about just waiting and seeing if I can get in for free or spending $20 on a general admission ticket.
  • GaryYudmanGaryYudman New YorkPosts: 738 ✭✭✭
    Jeff is starting right where I live. Damnit, I'll never convince anyone to take me.
    "RELAX, EAT THE APPLES, DRINK SOME WATER!"
  • In An Aeroplane Over the Sea is definitely my favorite album. My favorite song I think would have to be In An Aeroplane Over the Sea too lol. Favorite lyrics: "Can't believe how strange it is to be anything at all." There was a time when I listened to this song everyday, multiple times, I was obsessed. 
  • NackPTNackPT Posts: 41
    This is real hard.