Mules are so half ass

Marit__JMarit__J GermanyPosts: 4
edited June 2016 in Music
I recently discovered Hanks song "Mules Are So Half Ass" and since English is not my mothertongue I don't understand the lyrics completely but I really want to :( Here are the parts I don't understand... I was hoping that you could maybe help me with that :grimace:

The mink lost her furry scarf; she said it was stole
And the shoe salesman wanted to help 'cause he had so much sole

And the pregnant heifer saw it happen; yeah, she had a cow.

And the CO2 delivery guy always gives me gas.

And if your pants are too big, you'll get exposed in the end

It's just like riding a bike, or playing with your Wii.
And if you don't pay your exorcist, you'll get repossessed.
And the pirate shot himself so he could have that dead man's chest.

by Marit__J

Comments

• CobaltBookwormCobaltBookworm Home of Venus FlytrapsPosts: 4,711 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh man, that's a lot of puns! I'll do the best I can to explain it all. :)

"The mink lost her furry scarf; she said it was stole" - The word 'stole', besides being a past tense of 'to steal', is also used to refer to 'a scarf or shawl', generally made of some kind of fur (mink fur especially). So it's funny in that the mink says her 'furry scarf' was a stole (as in 'scarf or shawl') as well as being stolen (past tense of 'to steal'). And all this coming from a mink, who's usually used to make stoles (as in 'scarf or shawl').

"And the shoes salesman wanted to help because he had so much sole" - 'Soul' as in 'the spiritual or immaterial part of a human being' is pronounced the same as 'sole' as in 'the bottom of a shoe'. Therefore, it's a pun because the 'sole' in the line is supposed to be 'soul', but it's referring to a shoe salesman who would work with a lot of 'soles'.

"And the pregnant heifer saw it happen; yeah, she had a cow." - The phrase 'had a cow' is a colloquialism that means 'had a fit, or became upset'. Since the heifer (a female cow) is pregnant, she will literally 'have a cow' by giving birth. The pun is that the pregnant heifer would 'have a cow' (give birth to one) and also 'have a cow' (become upset) over the fact that mink's scarf was stolen.

"And the CO2 delivery guy always gives me gas." - The phrase 'give me gas' is a colloquialism that refers to something that makes you fart, or 'pass gas'. The CO2 delivery guy will literally give you gas when he delivers the cans of CO2. So the joke is that the literal meaning of 'gives me gas' refers to the fact that he's delivering CO2 and it also means 'makes me fart'.

"And if your pants are too big, you'll get exposed in the end" - If your pants are too big, generally what happens is that your pants fall down and your 'end' (meaning 'butt') is exposed. So the pun is in the fact that when you wear pants that are too big people will find out in the end, but then your butt will also be on display.

"It's just like riding a bike, or playing with your Wii." - I don't think this one has any hidden meanings, it's just meant to rhyme with the line before it.

"And if you don't pay your exorcist, you'll get repossessed." - 'Repossessed' can mean 'retake possession of something' in the case that people don't/can't pay for something, it's used in legal agreements with houses and property. Exorcists are usually employed to get rid of ghosts/demons that have 'possessed' (taken over someone's body) people. If you don't pay them, they could undo their work and the person's body is 'repossessed' (get's taken over again) by the ghost or demon.

"And the pirate shot himself so he could have that dead man's chest." - If the pirate shoot's himself in the chest (torso, stomach area), he will have a 'dead man's chest' since he's a, well, dead man. 'Dead man's chest' can also refer to a pirate's treasure which is stored in a 'chest' (a wooden box), so the pirate could have shot himself so that he could get his hands on the treasure.

Whew, I hope that helps!
    "The love of learning, the sequestered nooks, and all the sweet serenity of books."
    -Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
  • Marit__JMarit__J GermanyPosts: 4
    edited June 2016
    Wow thank you!! Yes, that really helped <3 o:)
    by Marit__J