Favorite Quotes

So, I really like to collect quotes, both from real people and from fiction, which is probably why I enjoyed Looking for Alaska so much. I wanted to know what everyone's favorite quote is. Mine, although ever changing, is currently is by kahlil Gibran "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars."

Comments

• Gara_the_engineerGara_the_engineer In a log house at the edge of the forestPosts: 605 ✭✭✭
    I have two long-lasting favourites (and a bunch of other that I love too, of course), neither of them are from a book though.
    One day, I had a sticky note on my computer, written by my now husband, quoting a piece of a song from Ayreon: "The meaning of life is to give life a meaning" I love this one because it reminds me that even when I can't see that there's any meaning with life, it's not because there doesn't exist any, it's just because I haven't anything right at hand that I'd define as 'the meaning' or 'a meaning'. But there are so many things I can do that, when I do them, feel really meaningful. I just have to get out and do those things, perhaps not now, but sooner or later. There's always meaning to be found in life.
    The other one is a quote that I think is from Douglas Coupland: "One of the cruellest things you can do to another person is pretend you care about them more than you really do." This one pretty neatly sums up one of my greatest issues, and it have also made me think of how I act myself. I no longer pretend to care when I don't, because I want people to understand that when I do show that I care about them, it's because I care an effing lot. No-one should have to question whether people around them care or not.
    The meaning of life is to give life a meaning
  • Thanks for sharing. Both of those quotes are great, and I really like your reasons for choosing them.
  • MontannaPeachMontannaPeach Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭
    I can't pick a favorite, but the one I was most recently struck by is from G.K. Chesterton: "Art, like morality, consists in drawing the line somewhere."

Different people have different ways of interpreting the quote, but I like to think of it as meaning, "In order to create, you have to start." It's an idea that can be used in many facets of life.
    "I'll be a story in your head. That's okay. We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?"

Check out the new nerdfighter zine: http://thegreenlightzine.wix.com/home
  • SHIELDagentAubreeSHIELDagentAubree Usually in a bookPosts: 8
    One of my favorite series is "The Selection" by Kiera Cass. I particularly like the quote from her books "Words are weapons. They are all you need."
  • snowflake1814snowflake1814 WisconsinPosts: 37
    edited March 4
    I'm so glad I found this (long dead., but I';ll try to revive it) forum because I love quotes. So much.

"You must remember that nothing was ever on a track. Things could have gone any way at any point. As soon as you say 'was,' it seems to fix an event in the past. But nobody ever lived in the past, only in the present. The difference is that it was their present. They were just as alive and full of ambition, fear, hope, all the emotions of life. And just like us, they didn't know how it would all turn out." -David McCullough

“There was a silly damn bird called a phoenix back before Christ, every few hundred years he built a pyre and burnt himself up. He must have been the first cousin to Man. But every time he burnt himself up he sprang out of the ashes, he got himself born all over again. And it looks like we're doing the same thing, over and over, but we're got on damn thing the phoenix never had. We know the damn silly thing we just did. We know all the damn silly things we've done for a thousand years and as long as we know that and always have it around where we can see it, someday we'll stop making the goddamn funeral pyres and jumping in the middle of them. We pick up a few more people that remember every generation.” -Fahrenheit 451

"You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world...but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices" -John Green

"Read books. Care about things. Get excited. Try not to be too down on youself. Enjoy the ever present game of knowing." -Hank Green
    by snowflake1814
    Memento mori