LeakyCon Questions/Advice

inwardpluminwardplum Posts: 246 ✭✭
Hello!

So I know a lot of people are going to Leaky for the first time this year, and I figured this would be a place where people can ask any questions they have about what the Con is like and what to expect. Sometimes people need help convincing parents to let them go, or need to know how they should plan their trip, etc, and it can be really helpful to get advice from people who have gone before!

Also, this can be a place to direct questions about the cities/area that the Cons are being hosted at, so if any of you are from the Portland or London area, keep an eye out for those!
DFTBA!

twitter: audridavis
tumblr: squidkitten - this is an obnoxious fandom blog and for that I am sorry

Comments

• beccalynn311beccalynn311 Posts: 104 ✭✭
    I'm from Portland and this is my first con ever

How do the events work and stuff. Like if I want to go see John and hank do I wait in line?
  • inwardpluminwardplum Posts: 246 ✭✭
    Yes, there will be lines for each program/signing. When the schedule is released you'll probably make a big list of the things you want to go to, but you have to account for the fact that you'll be waiting in line to get into a lot of them. The Nerdfighter gathering is one of the most popular events, so if you really have your heart set on going and you want a really good seat, I advise going to the program before it and just keeping your seat when it switches to the Nerdfighter gathering. Of course, they might alter rules next year saying that you have to exit the room before the next panel starts, but that's really unlikely.
    DFTBA!

• If you're getting in line for signings, depending on whose line it is changes the time you might have to wait. I waited for 3 and half hours for HP Actors in 2011 and didn't even get in that day (they did give me a special ticket to get in early the next day though :]). Be prepared to miss panels for some signings. 
    Yeah. I would honestly advise skipping signings unless you like desperately want to meet someone. It's not really worth missing most of the con for. Remember, if you have a lit pass, your odds of meeting John in a timely manner improve GREATLY because lit signings are way more relaxed and also have a fraction of the number of people.

DFTBA!

• beccalynn311beccalynn311 Posts: 104 ✭✭
    Yay I have a lit pass. I want to meet John again because I've had a couple conversations with Hank during the Harry and the Potters tour but when I met John he was to busy J scribbling to really talk
    John was really great in Chicago for the lit signing. He was very sweet and talked to everyone, and even though he had a panel he was supposed to participate in, he stayed past his time to make sure everyone in line got a signature.
    DFTBA!

• valerie2776valerie2776 Missoula, MTPosts: 264 Admin
    For the bigger signings you may be able to get wristbands before to secure a place in line, but of course you have to wait in line for those too (if I recall correctly).
    @valerie2776 Yep, I forgot about that! I'm not sure what they're switching up this year, because I think that may have just been a necessity born out of the lack of space to wait in line, but I thought it was a good system, so I hope it stays. The lines for the wristbands went really quickly, though.

Also, for anyone who has a rockstar pass, rockstars last year got three freebie wristbands without having to wait in line. Not sure if that will be repeated either, but still worth mentioning.

Also, wristbands are not guarantees that you will get your stuff signed at the signing you have the wristband for. In a few cases, they ran out of time, but everyone who didn't get in the first day got moved to the front of the line for the next day.
    DFTBA!

• valerie2776valerie2776 Missoula, MTPosts: 264 Admin
    This past Leaky I was helping run DFTBA's booth almost the entire con so I didn't get to go to very many panels. I hope maybe I'll be able to go next year too and help them, if they need it. It was a blast!

Is anybody familiar with the Portland area? I've always wanted to go to Portland and so if I get to will definitely try to do a ton of sight seeing. And want to hit up Voodoo Doughnuts but other than that I don't know what the cool stuff is!
    @valerie2776 My friend Becka worked the DFTBA booth also! You guys were craaaazy busy the whole time. I hope if you go next year you get a little break (but let's be real, the DFTBA booth is the best one there)
    DFTBA!

• nargleynargley Posts: 42 ✭✭
    Yeah, the lines last year for the signing bracelets weren't too bad, especially since they let you go back in line to try again. Also, there's always the perk of StarKid sing alongs while waiting!
    "The world may be broken, but hope is not crazy."
  • amelia9009amelia9009 NYCPosts: 165 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, there were usually long lines for all the signings and popular panels. There's always the chance of just bumping into people around the Con, but if you have your heart set on meeting someone, try to make it to a signing.
    The biggest advice I can give is to volunteer! If you volunteer at a signing, you were still able to meet the people and get something signed. It's probably a bigger time commitment than just waiting in line, but for me anyway, volunteering at a signing (or checking badges outside anything) was more interesting than just standing in line. I ended up volunteering at a lot of the panels I wanted to see, including ones I didn't originally sign up for, because even though I had to stand towards the back and sometimes I didn't see absolutely everything, it still gave me something to do because I was there by myself. I was also able to see a LeakyLit panel that I wouldn't have been able to otherwise because I didn't buy a Lit pass in time. (definitely get a lit pass, even if you don't know all the authors, there's lots of funny, interesting events.)
    Chicago Leaky was my first Con ever and it's definitely in the running for the best weekend of my life :)
    Activate your force-fields and just keep going.
    youtube twitter tumblr
  • messyhair42messyhair42 Posts: 6
    edited March 2013
    This past Leaky I was helping run DFTBA's booth almost the entire con so I didn't get to go to very many panels. I hope maybe I'll be able to go next year too and help them, if they need it. It was a blast!

Is anybody familiar with the Portland area? I've always wanted to go to Portland and so if I get to will definitely try to do a ton of sight seeing. And want to hit up Voodoo Doughnuts but other than that I don't know what the cool stuff is!
    I've spent enough time in Portland to know it decently well. By far my favorite thing is Powell's City of Books, an independent bookstore that occupies an entire city block, I will spend another day inside Powell's for sure. The food stalls are also great. there's a block that's mostly stationary food trucks and its good and cheap, don't remember the location but I'll find it again. The main Leakycon Hotel is just one block from Pioneer Courthouse Square (where you catch the MAX) and it's a great public place. I think it would be great if there were a nerdfighter meetup there before the conference itself starts.
    by messyhair42
  • zelda9417zelda9417 Posts: 1
    So this is my first LeakyCon and I am very excited!! But also very nervous.. I am going alone and I am scared I won't make friends?? Is it easy to make friends there? I just really want to have a good time. And the other thing I wanted to know is what to wear? Do people just wear costumes or regular clothes? Please help!
  • futuredudemanfuturedudeman Posts: 95
    This sounds really obvious now that I'm actually typing it, but it should be noted that the larger the event, the larger the line is going to be. So if you're running around from Nerdfighter Gatherings to Starkid Panels to Lizzie Bennet signings, be prepared for lots of big lines. But if you're going to a lot of smaller panels the lines will be short or non-existent. I'd suggest finding a mix of big and small so that you're not spending half your time waiting in line.

zelda9417 said:
    So this is my first LeakyCon and I am very excited!! But also very nervous.. I am going alone and I am scared I won't make friends?? Is it easy to make friends there? I just really want to have a good time. And the other thing I wanted to know is what to wear? Do people just wear costumes or regular clothes? Please help!
    Making friends at LeakyCon is the easiest! Seriously. Everyone around you is probably a Nerdfighter or a Starkid or a Whovian or just an all around cool person. And everyone wears whatever they want. At the ball, you've got people in regular clothes dancing with people in super fancy clothes dancing with hardcore cosplayers. Whatever makes you most comfortable.
    So as part of my research Portland apparently has one of the best pizza restaurants in the nation, Apizza Scholls, ~ 3.5 mi from the convention center. anybody interested?
    I just looked at the schedule, wow, that's a lot of stuff to do. anyway, I was wondering if anybody wanted to go as an informal group to Powells City of Books? I'll be staying at the downtown Hilton, so Pioneer courthouse square is just a block away (MAX trains) or meet at the convention center and take the trains back into downtown. I think Leakyconers will love Powells, but best to budget some time.