Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

I just really want to discuss the book/play with some people. I tried to brave tumblr to see what people were saying but it was just an overflow of so many things thrown in my face. I know there are a lot of people who have their issues with the story, but I'm curious what the Nerdfighters have to say :)

Comments

• carlymerrittcarlymerritt TexasPosts: 54
    I live in America and therefore haven't seen the play but I did read the script book and in my opinion the plot is very holey and doesn't make a lot of sense.
  • SapphicInterestSapphicInterest Posts: 6
    edited September 2016
    Oh man... I read it in a sitting and I think I hate it. If it wasn't cannon I'd probably be fine with it, but it is and I'm peeved. I'm sure the play itself is as great as everyone says it is, plays after all are not so reliant on a good plot to be considered successful, its more the experience and spectacle that make it. The script however doesn't have that and, you guys, the plot is bad, some characters are bad, just really mischaracterized (minor spoiler: Looking a you Alt. Reality Hermione). Idk if you wanna go into spoilers, but I really am not a fan of the fact that its cannon or was sold as THE continuation of the story.

Also let me just say that as a Slytherin I am outraged by the misrepresentation of my house in this book. What kind of Slytherin does something incredibly stupid without thinking it through because a pretty girl asked them too? Honestly, the kids shoulda been in Gryffindor, they're into stupidly brave heroics over there I hear. The Slytherins were all poorly considered action and and no secret plotting, a libelous script is what it is.
    by SapphicInterest
  • MonaMona Posts: 38 ✭✭
    I read it a couple of weeks ago and it was ok? I thought it read a bit like fan fiction, and not the type I love and go back to! Because of the format, I didn't have enough details and context to things.
    However! It's Harry Potter, I'd read anything related to the series. Yes, I didn't particularly love it and I wouldn't read it again, but it was still an enjoyable experience. I'd also love to see the play, I can definitely see that being amazing.
    "Nothing happens unless first a dream" - Carl Sandburg

Goodreads Profile
  • mchumchu Posts: 5
    As a massive Harry Potter fan, I was pretty disappointed when I read the script for the Cursed Child. Now, I know that it's meant to be a play, so seeing the live performance is probably a much more enjoyable experience, but I just thought the plot wasn't good. It was all a bit too ridiculous. There were too many coincidences, where things just HAPPEN to fall into place. There was less of a magical feeling to it. I agree with the previous posts. Apparently, the script wasn't actually written by J.K. Rowling, so that might be why it read like fanfic.
  • TexasFriedEwokTexasFriedEwok TexasPosts: 2
    Yeah the best part about the book was Scorpius Malfoy. Plots heavy on time travel are not my fav.