Old Book Reccomendations

Everyone's always talking about the hot new Y/A books, and new book smell too. I've read some really awesome Y/A, but I also like old books(and the old book smell). I know old books still have something to give us, so do you guys have some recommendations of books not written in the recent past?

I have one: My name is Asher Levby Chaim Potok. It is about Asher Lev, a Hasidic Jewish boy who is also a great artist. That is the source of conflict, as the Hasidic sect is the most religious, yet he feels drawn to paint things seen as controversial.

Comments

• Lavache_BeadsmanLavache_Beadsman New YorkPosts: 661 ✭✭✭
    I have a bunch! Especially if you like Asher Lev, I might also recommend:

Portnoy's Complaint by Philip Roth
    The Adventures of Auggie March by Saul Bellow
    Herzog by Saul Bellow

Other non-Asher-Lev-realted old books I like:

Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf
    The Razor's Edge by W. Somerset Maugham
    Go Tell It On The Mountain by James Baldwin
    Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
    Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol
  • Thanks!
  • SHIELDagentAubreeSHIELDagentAubree Usually in a bookPosts: 8
    I really enjoyed The Help by Kathryn Stockett; it's one of the best historical fiction books I've ever read. :)
  • MontannaPeachMontannaPeach Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭
    I'm quite fond of Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.
    "I'll be a story in your head. That's okay. We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?"

Check out the new nerdfighter zine: http://thegreenlightzine.wix.com/home
  • I'm a sucker for kid's books, so the best of the old kid's books are:
    The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll
    Any of the coloured fairy books by Andrew Lang

Might not be YA fiction or even adult classics, but they all have really important lessons and are full of hidden gems! (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is full of innuendos and drug jokes, although it is still a beautiful children's story despite it)
  • IndiaBespokeIndiaBespoke Posts: 31
    One of my favourite books is The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Every time I read it I get lost in the diction and I emerge from it with a new perspective or opinion on a character, idea or someone in the physical world.
  • katrhymerkatrhymer Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 23
    Coma by Dr. Robin Cook - The Stephen King of medical thrillers.
    Kat XD
  • coreysomethingcoreysomething Taipei, TaiwanPosts: 9
    Some freshly old books I've delighted in reading include Doctor Zhivago by Pasternak, We by Zamyatin, and Mysteries by Knut Hamsun.
    I hope you'll enjoy them, as I have.
    "Seek simplicity, and distrust it."

-A. N. Whitehead