Crash Course: Psychology

2»

Comments

• redzheadz1106redzheadz1106 SwedenPosts: 7
    So the first ep is up! What did you guys think? 
  • RolloRollo Operative 6081, MiniTrue Airstrip Three, OceaniaPosts: 1,902 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2014

Theory:
    This Hank is actually Hank's Ego. He's operating a manual (out of view) which sends messages telling his Super-Ego (unseen) not to be so critical and the pedals send messages to his Id (also unseen) which are basically a stream of Nos, Yeses and Maybes because it is unresponsive to the demands of reality.

"It looks pretty fun" but it probably isn't. I know that Rollo's Ego spends most of its day running around demanding chocolate, sausage rolls and ice cream and then wanting a nap (Yummy, yummy, yummy, I want that) and that's just not productive at all.
    by Rollo
    "I speak an infinite deal of nothing and I am not bound to please thee with my answers."

I've written four books - you might like to buy them: Linky - Doobly Doo
  • RJRobledo7RJRobledo7 USAPosts: 26
    I'm fairly ignorant on Psychology. I learned a bit about the history of the science in High School, and I've read a lot of random articles on Wikipedia, but that forms the limit of my understanding in the field. My interest in the subject is very high, though, and to see Hank Green tackling it in Crash Course if very exciting! This may prove to be my favorite subject in the series yet.
    imageLit Mag and Discount Bookstore. wisdomcriethwithout.com

• BH622BH622 BaltimorePosts: 128 ✭✭
    So far I'm really liking CC:Psychology. I think Hank and the crew are doing a really good job presenting it. I also like that he is repeatedly mentioning things that were once considered fact that are now known to be pseudoscience, like several of studies brought up in the last episode. It's important to understand that our understanding of the world has to evolve over time. The scientific method (make a conjecture, test the conjecture, make a conclusion about it's veracity, tell other people) is a gradual process, and psychology and the human brain are so complicated that our understanding of them has been marred by, what were at the time, widely believed falsehoods. I, for example, did not know that the whole 'right brain-left brain' thing they told us in middle school was bogus until the episode. 
    “This is how you do it: you sit down at the keyboard and you put one word after another until its done. It's that easy, and that hard.” - Neil Gaiman on writing

Like martial arts? Like reading blogs about it? Not sure? Check out my brand new blog, A Warrior's Journey.
  • RJRobledo7RJRobledo7 USAPosts: 26
    BH622 said:
    So far I'm really liking CC:Psychology. I think Hank and the crew are doing a really good job presenting it. I also like that he is repeatedly mentioning things that were once considered fact that are now known to be pseudoscience, like several of studies brought up in the last episode. It's important to understand that our understanding of the world has to evolve over time. The scientific method (make a conjecture, test the conjecture, make a conclusion about it's veracity, tell other people) is a gradual process, and psychology and the human brain are so complicated that our understanding of them has been marred by, what were at the time, widely believed falsehoods. I, for example, did not know that the whole 'right brain-left brain' thing they told us in middle school was bogus until the episode. 
    I like that they've taken that course throughout all of Crash Course, emphasizing that our current knowledge is not infallible fact, and that remaining open to change is the only right course.. VSauce and Veritasium are pretty good with that, too. I think discussions would be much more peaceful --in science especially-- if we recognized that our understanding is finite, and our collective knowledge can only improve by seeking out the truth, regardless of tradition.
    imageLit Mag and Discount Bookstore. wisdomcriethwithout.com

• lonesurfer13lonesurfer13 Posts: 2
    Just putting it out there, YaleOpen, online has a great psychology course, with lectures and all. I am a high school student taking it and I find it suuuuper interesting. Btw it's free, you just need internet connection and you're all set :)
  • JessicaIsAliveJessicaIsAlive Hillsborough, NCPosts: 4
    I signed up to take Psychology next semester and Crash Course Psychology has prepared me (not to mention gotten me really excited)!  Also, the episodes on disorders helped me understand my sister better (she has 3 different disorders).
  • Just putting it out there, YaleOpen, online has a great psychology course, with lectures and all. I am a high school student taking it and I find it suuuuper interesting. Btw it's free, you just need internet connection and you're all set :)
    Thanks for this. I just looked at their YouTube stuff and it looks really good. I am, hopefully, studying psychology at uni next year, and am also studying it in high school this year, and it looks really useful for expanding my knowledge.
  • singingwritingsingingwriting Minnesota, USA Posts: 25
    I'm so glad this series happened, I plan on taking AP Psychology next year and I'm watching all of the videos so I have some background going into it.
    Hello, Sweetie!
  • RogansRunRogansRun Posts: 16
    I think it's super great. Hank is really good at the humanities subjects (sociology, anthropology etc) so this was just an awesome extension of that