Thoughts on 2016 1st Presidential Debate between Trump and HRC?

AkinaAkina Posts: 50
edited September 2016 in Politics & Current Events
Anyone else think they sounded a bit like they both grew up in Alpha Complex?
2016DebateParanoia
http://imgur.com/gallery/YxEL8

Grr... attempting to share image - having issues. Blah I give up.
by Akina

Comments

• RolloRollo Operative 6081, MiniTrue Airstrip Three, OceaniaPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭
    I think that the real loser was America. If this is the best that the voting system can produce, then the world is in trouble.

Had there been ranked voting where seven candidates from both sides and third parties appeared on the ballots in November, then the two choices wouldn't have been dysentery and cholera.
    "I speak an infinite deal of nothing and I am not bound to please thee with my answers."

I've written four books - you might like to buy them: Linky - Doobly Doo
  • AkinaAkina Posts: 50
    Oh so true.

What do you think of the idea of gathering in groups (direct action if necessary) in representatives' offices until they pass emergency legislation changing the voting system to ranked choice voting?
  • RolloRollo Operative 6081, MiniTrue Airstrip Three, OceaniaPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭
    Might help.

It would also be an idea for the 120 million people who are too lazy to vote, to show up for once and vote for parties other than the Republicrats and Democrans. They could chuck out all 535 members of Congress and the President pretty quickly.
    "I speak an infinite deal of nothing and I am not bound to please thee with my answers."

I've written four books - you might like to buy them: Linky - Doobly Doo
    The same people who are loath to show up are the same people who vote for the lesser evil. Disenfranchised, not thinking about how to better utilize power structures and personal power.

Some states actively discourage voting - even without laws. When I first became eligible to vote, I was lied to, repeatedly, about where my polling place was by polling place "officials" - election after election I wasted my day trying to vote. After I wisened up, I requested absentee ballots, which never seemed to find me in time for the election, if at all.

Then I moved to a state with mailed ballots, so voting is a breeze, comparatively. I've only missed 2 voting opportunities: I moved and forgot to change my address in time so didn't get a ballot, and once when I didn't remember I hadn't turned in my ballot until an hour after the boxes closed (heart breaking since I had taken the time to research my choices and read the initiatives - not a presidential election year).

I can't imagine how hard it is for people who have difficulty navigating bureaucracy in the states which have passed bs like the racist voter ID laws and such.

I agree with you, but with empathy for those who try and fail anyway.
    edited September 2016
    I was also thinking if we passed rank choice voting then we'd have an easier chance of getting more people to try to vote and vote their hopes rather than fears*.

*Ourselves/each other
    by Akina
  • username_not_foundusername_not_found United StatesPosts: 13
    Rollo said:

I think that the real loser was America. If this is the best that the voting system can produce, then the world is in trouble.

I completely agree. I don't trust Clinton enough to feel confident in her, but I don't like Trump enough to feel comfortable voting for him. I'm not enthused by either option and as this is my first election I can vote in, it's something of a letdown.
    @username_not_found What state do you live in? I'm definitely voting, but I don't see it as an either or option... it's too complicit of systemic oppression that I could conscionably partake in voting for either Trump or Clinton. Most states have at least one other statistically viable (given actual evidence not methodologically-flawed "polls") option besides Trump/Clinton.
  • username_not_foundusername_not_found United StatesPosts: 13
    @Akina I live in Indiana. I figured that if I voted for a third-party candidate like Jill Stein or Gary Johnson that I'd essentially be wasting my vote since third-party candidates almost never garner enough support to actually have a shot at winning the election.
    edited October 2016
    @username_not_found Is the point of voting to be on the winning team or to express your conscious concern for policy positions and your representatives who decide those positions?

I personally don't think it's a waste, even if your preferred candidate doesn't win because it shows that you are an active voter who will vote consistently for the issues rather than an identity or party. That is how political change is achieved. I also think that it's not impossible to get Jill Stein into the White House this year... especially when you look closely at the numbers.

I have found:The New Progressive Voice/Media to be very quite helpful because of the high level of intellectual honesty and authentic integrity.

If you want to vote for Jill Stein, you can read and consider this treaty:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mxV79TntQ_kMELDOWmENpTzi3R4I-LJg3ooT_POQRZM/edit

If you agree, then sign here:
    http://www.jill2016.com/vote_pledge and try to get 2 more people involved.

I'm definitely not the only one who thins there's still a chance. I especially love the last 10-20 seconds of this video:

Oh and you can vote for Stein in Indiana, but you have to write her in. https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/jillstein/pages/4850/attachments/original/1475338693/write-in-IN-website.pdf?1475338693 for instructions on how to ensure your vote is counted.
    by Akina
    Oh and make sure you are registered to vote... today's the last day to register for Indiana!
    Don't forget that down ticket voting really makes a bigger difference than POTUS, so research your options and do your best!