Pink Floyd *is* the best band ever, with The Wall as the best album ever.

HaydHayd Posts: 6
Second best is Rimsky-Korsakov, a Russian composer. Third is Led Zeppelin.

The Wall is a concept album. Each song flows into the next, its like chapters in a book. Reading Chapter 8 and 16 of the first Harry Potter book doesn't make sense. Even saying that those are the *best* chapters of the book doesn't make any sense because you need all of the chapters to make any sense of the book, and even then all of its *good* qualities from those chapters rely on those from other chapters. Thus, saying that Comfortably Numb and Hey You are my favorite songs from the album doesn't make any sense. People who say that about Pink Floyd or any other kind of good music are idiots.

Roger Waters, the main singer and bassist of Pink Floyd contributed most to the creation of The Wall. The story in the album is based mostly off of Roger Waters himself, almost as a biography.

The story is about a child named Pink Floyd. His father dies when Pink is at an extremely young age in World War II. This leaves him in care of his overbearing mother and a strict British style boarding school.

The first song, In The Flesh? is a prologue to the rest of the album. A future Pink (a theatrical post WWII dictator) gives the introduction to the album at one of his rock concerts. "So you thought you might like to go to the show? To feel the warm thrill of confusion, that space cadet glow." He opens up the introduction to the concert by asking his fans if they thought they would go to the show meaning the rock concert that him as a rock star would put on, the latter referring to the typical junkie Pink Floyd fans feeling the "space cadet glow". He then rhetorically asks if this is not what they expected to see, this dictator rather than the rock star. He then tells them to claw through his disguise (of his dictatorship costume) to find out what is behind his cold eyes. He is setting forth what the album will show, to show what is behind his cold eyes, and thus how his life made his eyes cold.

The next song starts with a baby crying, signifying that Pink is born. The lyrics then go on to tell him that the sea may look warm and the sky blue, showing the innocence and optimism that a newborn baby ought to view the world in this warm perspective. But when encountering modern life today, the thin ice easily cracks beneath you taking away what life you are supposed to have. This obviously connects with his father dying, his father dying during the war cracking the ice under him at such a young age. The boarding school system elaborated on in Another Brick in the Wall Pt. 2 and Happiest Days of Our Lives and the beautiful song Mother doing a cynical lullaby to a baby from a mother going over his mother's affect on him. After becoming 18 and moving out he leaves behind the baby blue of his childhood shown in Goodbye Blue Sky saying goodbye the pain that his mother caused him but noting that the pain will linger on through adulthood. He then embraces the rock star lifestyle head on in Young Lust, but after his wife leaves him and is adultrous this final tragedy combined with all the other tragedies become bricks in which he builds a wall to break himself off from society, the society that caused him so much woe. He physically locks himself in his hotel room and overdoses on drugs right before a concert hoping to find self discovery but metaphorically and in his mind locks himself inside a wall. He then regrets his choice in Hey You and reflects on his life in songs like Vera and such. The two worlds collide beautifully in Comfortably Numb when his managers come in and try to wake him out of his state, lapsing in and out of the physical world of locked in his hotel room and the isolation of society in his mind ("distant ship smoke on the horizon" the ship in the middle of a sea, isolated from land [society] and him the ship.) Its beautiful, he then cascades into insanity becoming the very dictatorial leader who took his father from him in a psychological battleground trying to resolve his woes and find self recovery eventually putting himself on trial and tearing down the wall.

The Wall is art. Music is an art form, and so is film, and so is literature. The film industry is amazing currently, creating very good films that are definately art every single year. Literature is good too but the music industry is dead. Pop music with no meaning just created to make money and popularity and that is so easy to make that anyone can literally do it through watching a youtube video. For anyone who hasn't listened to The Wall 20,000 times (Hank and John), you ought to do so. Its art bro

Sorry if my writing sucks <3

Comments

• TelMolagMoraTelMolagMora Alliance, OhioPosts: 516 ✭✭
    Um, people aren't idiots for liking some songs over others in any album. The instrumentals don't need any context to be enjoyed and can be freely ranked over any other piece of music. It's all just subjective taste and people like and rank music based on their own criteria.
    무세이 알렉스, remember the name.
  • HaydHayd Posts: 6
    This isn't true. It is perfectly reasonable to like one song over another in an album. It becomes unreasonable when the album is a concept album, in that it tells a story that carries an overall theme. Not all albums are concept albums, most aren't, and thus liking one song in an album is reasonable in the majority of cases.

The subjective part isn't necessarily true. I think that some pieces of music are objectively of higher quality than other pieces of music. For example, this song is terrible. Is makes me want to put a toothpick in my toenail and kick a wall its so bad. Whilst Korsakov's Scheherazade is so beautiful it could make you cry [ This is *objectively* true based on logical grounds. Its not subjective to taste.
  • TelMolagMoraTelMolagMora Alliance, OhioPosts: 516 ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    1. Your reasoning is not the same as everyone else's. People have different thought processes that lead them to what they would see as reasonable and what they don't see as such. As well, everyone has criteria for what they like, your tastes are not the standard.
    2. Concept albums are not an inherent exception. You haven't really given much reason as to why they would be, so I'm curious as to why you think they are. Seriously, lay it on me I wanna know.
    3. As I said earlier, people can like music for THE MUSIC. Literally, words & story aren't all music has to offer. There's music and composition that can be judged too. Some people prefer just music, some like only music with words, some people like concept music (like you), & some don't really have preferences and just like to listen to anything.
    4. The song you linked I didn't find terrible. Not my tea, but not terrible. Why do you think so? What makes you right?
    5. And that Korsakov piece, eh it was alright. It could definitely stand to add some auto-tune and 808's. That's what the base of TRUE good music is. Ain't no tears coming from me though.
    6. And what's this "This is *objectively* true based on logical grounds. Its not subjective to taste." you speak of? You can't just say something is logical and leave me with nothing, explain yourself.
    by TelMolagMora
    무세이 알렉스, remember the name.
  • AhrenStringersLegsAhrenStringersLegs Long Island, NYPosts: 3
    The band Defeater (you should check them out if you don't know them already) has four albums, every album is part of an overly story and tells that part of the story from a different character's perspective. Listening to every song in order is also like reading a book. I would argue that you can like some songs more than others. My favorite off of the first album "Travels" is the song Prophet In Plain Clothes. You can also like a certain chapter of a book more than others. You could think others aren't as well written or essential to the overall story.

1. Your reasoning is not the same as everyone else's. People have different thought processes that lead them to what they would see as reasonable and what they don't see as such. As well, everyone has criteria for what they like, your tastes are not the standard.
    2. Concept albums are not an inherent exception. You haven't really given much reason as to why they would be, so I'm curious as to why you think they are. Seriously, lay it on me I wanna know.
    3. As I said earlier, people can like music for THE MUSIC. Literally, words & story aren't all music has to offer. There's music and composition that can be judged too. Some people prefer just music, some like only music with words, some people like concept music (like you), & some don't really have preferences and just like to listen to anything.
    4. The song you linked I didn't find terrible. Not my tea, but not terrible. Why do you think so? What makes you right?
    5. And that Korsakov piece, eh it was alright. It could definitely stand to add some auto-tune and 808's. That's what the base of TRUE good music is. Ain't no tears coming from me though.
    6. And what's this "This is *objectively* true based on logical grounds. Its not subjective to taste." you speak of? You can't just say something is logical and leave me with nothing, explain yourself.

1) People may have different thought processes but that doesn't make logic (thus reasoning) a subjective thing. Logic is has objective truth, 2 will always equal 2. Its not based on peoples' preferences or mind sets. Judging the greatness of music is done through logic. Pink Floyd uses more emotion, a more complex story using more metaphors, style, thematic devices than any other kind of music. You don't have to have a thought process a certain way to think that that is good, it *is* good. There is no arguing against it for anyone who does is simply wrong. Pop music is objectively terrible since its specifically designed for musically ignorant minds. The musical quality is terrible, you can't find beauty or emotion in it.

2) Concept albums are a story. Each song is a chapter. One chapter can't be beautiful without the others supplementing them. When you read a Harry Potter book you say that the book was amazing, not that chapter 11 was my favorite and chapter 2 my second favorite. You don't because its a story. But an album with each song being an independent piece, as most albums are, then you can say that since they are essentially a collection of short stories, if they are a story at all and not just noise.

3) Sure. I like songs that are purely instrumental, I like a lot of stuff that isn't concept albums. But certain stuff within that genre objectively sucks and some is objectively good. Its not up to preference.

4) It causes me physical pain. I have an urge to carve out my kidney with a rusty screwdriver. It just has electronic sounds going to a climax and words that mean nothing.

5) That is one of the best songs in the world, the musical ability it takes to play that song (literally goes to 64th notes and 128th notes) as well as the emotion in the music. The story it tells of youth, just beautiful song. If someone thinks that song isn't beautiful then they are wrong.

Autotune...jesus christ. Autotune is terrible and is for pop music for people that need help of machines to sound good.

6) did in number one

The band Defeater (you should check them out if you don't know them already) has four albums, every album is part of an overly story and tells that part of the story from a different character's perspective. Listening to every song in order is also like reading a book. I would argue that you can like some songs more than others. My favorite off of the first album "Travels" is the song Prophet In Plain Clothes. You can also like a certain chapter of a book more than others. You could think others aren't as well written or essential to the overall story.

I'll have to check that out. And yes, its reasonable to think that. Some songs are out of place in stories
  • smokentokensmokentoken Posts: 2
    edited October 2016
    First off, stop being a pretentious asshole. You don’t get to tell people what is good music and what is bad music, and above all else, you don’t get to tell them they are unreasonable for enjoying Hey You over Comfortably Numb (both of which are phenomenal songs). It is possible to enjoy one song over another, even in a concept album.

Secondly, "good/best" by its very definition is subjective. While there is certainly objectivity within music such as complexity or acumen required to play an instrument, these do not mean that music that is “of higher quality” as you say, is somehow inherently better than music that is not.

Thirdly, you operationally define “good” as using emotion, complex storytelling, metaphors, and thematic devices. While using this operational definition it is debatable about who the best artist truly is, although I can objectively tell you it is not Pink Floyd. Rock operas, no matter how epic, do not compare to the emotion, complex storytelling, metaphors, and thematic devices of John Coltrane or Phillip Glass.

Within this same argument all you have to do is change how you operationally define “best” and what people choose will then change. If I chose to define “best” as most pleasing, then I would have to say that Bob Dylan or Sun Ra are the greatest musicians of all time. (This point refers back to two as well)

Lastly, I completely disagree with your assertion that pop music is objectively terrible and is designed for musically ignorant minds. I can listen to both Steve Reich and Maroon 5 and enjoy them equally.

You built your argument off of the premise that good music must have emotion, complexity, etc. and you call it logic while saying that anyone who disagrees is irrational. However, your fundamental premise of what makes music good is purely subjective and your argument falls down around it. So stop disguising your argument as logic and fact, and above all else, stop being a pretentious ass. People can like more than one type of music.
    by smokentoken
  • RolloRollo Operative 6081, MiniTrue Airstrip Three, OceaniaPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭
    The "definitive best band ever" is Salmon Hater.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_J_Hottest_100,_2002

They came 26th in the Triple J Hottest 100 for 2002 with their song "6.66 (is 1/100th of the number of the beast)", despite the fact that they didn't actually exist.
    "I speak an infinite deal of nothing and I am not bound to please thee with my answers."

I've written four books - you might like to buy them: Linky - Doobly Doo
  • smokentokensmokentoken Posts: 2
    edited October 2016
    Rollo, that remains disputable. The band that rocked the most and melted the most minds was inarguably Spinal Tap. They turned that PIZZZAA up to 11. Only band in history to have one drummer spontaneously combust and another to die from a bizarre gardening accident.

"As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll." - Mick Shrimpton

(If you haven't seen the documentary then I highly suggest it.)
    by smokentoken
  • lantranhanalantranhana Posts: 2
    Sure, it has some great hits and stuff but the best album ever?