We are monsters

TeajTeaj The Kingdom of CanadaPosts: 19,071 ✭✭✭✭
You might look like a beast, or maybe you control rats and spiders, or perhaps you are uglier than a witch, but you are a monster, at least in the eyes of most people. It's not your fault, of course, this happens to one in every thousand people or so, maybe a little more or less in some places, and really most people don't have it so bad, do they?
Maybe we should rewind. At some point in your life, maybe when you were born, or when you hit puberty, or just some random day, you got powers. That would be so awesome! Iiiif they hadn't made you into the monster you are. People avert their eyes when you pass, and frankly jobs that will take you are not the highest position, usually. Sure, you're not technically allowed to discriminate, but can you blame people? Look at yourself!
Well, you still live a relatively normal life, but a few weeks ago you got a flier for an anonymous help group for people like you, and why not? Tonight's the first night and it's not like you had plans to go out anyway.

Character sheet:

Name:
Appearance:
Powers:
Bio:
Other:

Comments

• TeajTeaj The Kingdom of CanadaPosts: 19,071 ✭✭✭✭
    Name: Antanas Tarantola
    Appearance: Antanas used to be fairly attractive... not so much now. He has boils and shifting masses all along his skin, his eyes are sunken and his dark hair is always oily no matter what he does. He has tiny little antenna sticking out of his hair, too, just barely noticeable, as he usually tries to keep them down in the hair, but when he lets them up they're about 6 inches long.
    Powers: Antanas' body is a haven for all kinds of bugs, weather he likes it or not. And he doesn't. Thousands of insects inhabit his body, crawling around, laying eggs, probably killing each other, he tried not to think about it. He can control these and all other insects to do his bidding. Except make them leave. He tried that once and ended up in the hospital. Turns out the bugs are keeping him alive, he's been tempted to, and once even tried, to kill himself by forcing them out. For an entire week he could pretend he was normal, but he grew weaker all the time, until he eventually fainted and the bugs came back. (he later found out that they were coming back when he slept, too.) He can also talk to insects, but he's only done this a couple of times.
    Bio: As a kid, Antanas was normal. He got his powers from a near death experience, as often happens, he was told. For graduation he and his friends had decided to go to Australia. It didn't go well. Sure, it was beautiful and whatever, but mostly he remembers how one day on a hike a funnel spider came out of nowhere and bit him on the ankle. His friends and he didn't really know what to do, and tried to get him to the hospital, but... well his friends had a hard time doing that when just 5 minutes later his powers activated and called out to every insect in the area.
    Credit where it's due, they did try to get him away from the huge swarm as well, but... well, they still ran away in the end. Antanas can't blame them, he would probably have done that same. After the swarm 'vanished' his friends did come back and get him to the hospital. He was passed out at that point, and he woke up with his friends giving the worst attempted 'good news, bad news' before the holiday ended and his life went to shlt.
    Other: His friends still keep in touch. Once a year. To say happy birthday. They don't come, just text or send him a message.

Did I just look around until I found names that were puns or references to bugs? Yes. Yes I did.
  • KiarKiar Elsewhere Posts: 14,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    While we're going with pun names...

Name: Sarin Morbus
    Appearance: Wears glasses, on the short side, shoulder-length hair. Since obtaining her powers her skin has obtained a sickly yellow hue, and a similarly colored haze hangs around her that makes anyone who gets too close feel nauseated. Her face is gaunt, and appears ill. Her clothes are full of holes.
    Powers: All her bodily fluids are incredibly volatile. Though her body seems unaffected by the abilities, a simple tear could melt a small hole in a sheet of metal. Her spit, blood, (and vomit) are just as corrosive. She even has to be careful about her sweat - she's given people mild burns by shaking their hand. Her clothes are perpetually ragged as a result. Don't ask how she uses the bathroom.
    Bio: Sarin was in chemistry lab when a bad spill occurred, and the rest is history. The first thing she remembers are the hospital nurses being surprised to see her sit up. Apparently, every attempt to fix her with an IV had melted the needles, and even the heart monitors had failed after resting too long on her skin. Sarin left the hospital after everyone who visited her started getting sick. She hasn't been back to school since.
    Other: She used to wear contacts but switched back to glasses after the lenses melted in her eyes.
    by Kiar
    "A ship is always safer at the shore, but that is not what it is built for."
    My writing project
  • rydude17rydude17 ScotlandPosts: 8,636 ✭✭✭✭
    Name: Belinda Stone
    Appearance: Belinda looks fairly average, average height, average weight, right up until you reach her head. She wears a prostethic face mask, not one of the fancy synthetic skin ones, just a white plastic face, not because her own face is damaged, but so that others won't see it, and instead of hair she has a dozen snakes growing out of her head. Underneath the mask she has black eyes, scaly skin and large fangs, but nobody has seen them in years.

Powers: Anyone who sees her face is petrified, turned to stone. Not permanently, thank god, just for a few hours, sometimes a couple days. She can also talk to snakes, including her own hair. Sometimes a snake will fall off her head, as if she's shedding, but a new snake is always born in its place.

Bio: Belinda got her powers at the magical time of puberty. She was a pretty popular kid before she lost her hair and eyebrows, there was a few weeks where people were worried it was cancer, but when the doctor confirmed she was becoming a monster, suddenly her friends and classmates were less.....kind. Her boyfriend dumped her, her friends stopped talking to her, she thought things couldn't get any worse. Then she grew a snake, a Cobra named Caspian, and suddenly the teasing and the torment started. Caspian soon became her only friend, until she grew another snake, and another, and eventually a whole head of them. Life was hard, but at least she wasn't alone any more. Her face started to change, then, and suddenly the acne that had bothered her older sister seemed not so bad, when the sight of her literally turned half the school to stone. She panicked, running away from the school and hiding in an old warehouse. She found an old sack and put it over her head, cutting holes for her snakes to poke out of. After a few days a search party found her, and she was brought back to the doctor, who gave her her prostethic, it was....arguably not much of an improvement to look at, but at least it wasn't hurting anyone. She's incredibly glad to be done with high school forever, but unemployment is a bit of an issue right now.

Other: she can't turn snakes to stone, interestingly, but other animals she can. She doesn't know if other monsters are affected by her look, but she doesn't really wanna know. Snakes aren't the best conversationalists, but they're nice to her at least.
  • CobaltBookwormCobaltBookworm Home of Venus FlytrapsPosts: 4,711 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Name: Architeuthis (goes by Archie) Polipus
    Appearance: His lips, ears and eyes are blackened as though the flesh beneath his skin is rotting away. He has tentacles in place of arms and usually wears a yellow rain poncho with nothing underneath in order to keep them hidden without constraining them. Otherwise, he has perpetually damp black hair and is over six feet tall.
    Powers: Everything that comes with having tentacles. He can climb sheer and slick surfaces, squeeze things and open pickle jars. He can also see and hear very well, as well as breathe underwater.
    Bio: He'd always been interested in marine life and during high school he had been on a backstage tour through an aquarium when he fell into the tank of the squid exhibit. After they fished him out, he seemed fine at first but the sucker marks along his legs and arms wouldn't go away. He began to develop tentacles of his own after a few weeks and tried hiding the fact as much as he could though obviously it was only a matter of time before he slipped up. When his parents started to suspect something fishy was going on, he left and has been on his own ever since.
    Other: His appetite for seafood has only increased since the accident. He has a weakness for mussels and shellfish.
    by CobaltBookworm
    "The love of learning, the sequestered nooks, and all the sweet serenity of books."
    -Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
  • zonzonnzonzonn MarylandPosts: 5,879 ✭✭✭✭
    (( I'm still interested, just don't have any ideas forming right now. I'm sorry! Will try to get something up within 24hrs, if that's okay.))
    "You have a faint glimmer shining somewhere in the caves of your heart. Maybe you just need a swift breeze to run through you to help spread the fire."
    ((Sure! And let me know if you need any inspiration! I'll probably write my first post after work tomorrow so everyone can get started but you can certainly join after that))
    OOC: Ahah. I'm so pleased that every name in this thread so far is some kind of blatant pun XP
    My writing project
    ((More blatant than blind stone? I suppose you could have named her medi sue Stone.... I'm good at terrible puns, okay?))

It was getting late. Antanas had just finished working, he'd managed to get a job working for a call center from home, it was terrible job and terrible hours but it was a job.
    Antanas looked at the supper he had left out. It was covered in flies. He shuddered and closed his eyes, opened his mouth. He heard buzzing, getting closer, felt wings and tiny legs tickling his throat. He coughed and shook his head before finishing getting ready to go out.
    Big coat, check. Hat, check. Hunched figure and general creep factor of 12? Unfortunately also check.
    He sighed. This might be a mistake. But... well his life couldn't get much worse at this point. He slipped on his shoes and left, locking the house behind him. It was the first time he'd been out all week. The sky was clear, the stars visible. It was nice weather. Just his luck, there'd probably be people out enjoying the night.
    Grumbling he got into his car and started it. He didn't need it, and it was a price of shlt, but it was nice to avoid public transit. He figured it'd take him 20 minutes to get to the meeting, or less, he'd be right on time, and.... he'd see.

The meeting place was a just a hall available for rent downtown, a little out of the way, but not too hard to get too. It was currently locked, the one running the netting was inside and the lights were on.

((Sorry guys. I started typing this after work and got distracted.))
    Belinda was walking to the meeting place. She didn't have the money to spare for a car, bus drivers sometimes refused her entry and if they didn't she had to deal with being trapped in a bus full of strangers, so that was out of the question. When she walked she sometimes got trouble, assholes yelling or throwing stuff at her, but usually she was just given a wide berth by everyone. It was the snakes that made people keep their distance, she was pretty sure, although the ominous mask probably didn't help.

As she approached the hall, she couldn't help but think it looked a little, well, spooky. She tried the door, but found it locked, so she gave a quiet knock and waited.
    edited October 2016
         Archie wished it was raining. He always felt better when walking in a storm and it had the added bonus of making his poncho seem normal instead of an odd accessory. He wiggled his tentacles a little, still wet from his brief stint in a fountain at the nearby park. Parks were nice, he could get away with sleeping in the bigger ones and didn't have to worry about being seen going for a midnight swim in the pond with the ducks. And of course scaring the occasional nighttime jogger who thought it a good idea to run a 5K at 3 am.
         He loitered on the sidewalk a little down the street from the meeting hall when he noticed another figure try for a knock on the door. "Looks like you're early," he called over, the poncho's plastic rippling as he moved closer.
    by CobaltBookworm
    "The love of learning, the sequestered nooks, and all the sweet serenity of books."
    edited October 2016
    Sarin drove to the meeting place, nervously tapping the wheel. In any other circumstance, the car made her feel comfortable and safe. It contained her vapors, kept people from getting close enough to injure themselves and, usually, people rarely glanced her way. But tonight was different. Tonight she would be meeting others like... like her. It had been almost a year, but she still found the thought difficult to adjust to. For so much of her life she'd shied away from those that went bump in the night, only now to find herself one of them. She wasn't sure what to expect from this meeting. But perhaps it would be better than the self-imposed isolation in which she currently lived.
    As Sarin slowed before the building, she noticed a couple figures standing before the door. Sarin pulled into the nearest spot and hesitated, her car idling. Why were they waiting out in the open? Was this the right place? Was she too early? Finally, Sarin shut her car off, but was hesitant to approach the couple.
    by Kiar
    My writing project
    edited October 2016
    Just as Sarin was pulling up a shadow approached the door. There was a loud 'click' as it was unlocked and it was suddenly jerked open. "Sorry! I didn't expect you so soon," the young woman that had suddenly appeared in the light said. She appeared almost normal. She had long, rather messy blond hair pulled back in a pony tail, pale (but not deathly so) skin, and was wearing a white tank top and jean shorts. But... well, it was hard to notice the ways in which she was normal if you noticed her face. Where her eyes should have been was smooth skin, her nose was flat against her skull and barely a slit, her large mouth had perfectly straight rows of pointed teeth. Upon pulling your eyes away from her face a looker would start to notice that her skin wasn't quite right. It was... wrinkled? Maybe, but in a very precise way. Like it was covering something. She had these lines everywhere but her face.
    "Please, come in, the meeting will officially begin soon but I've prepared some food and drinks for everyone, just head right in." She moved out of the way and held the door, smiling with her lips closed, any other form of emotion was gone.
    Inside the hall, past a second set of swinging doors, was a simple set up. On one side of the room was a stack of chairs, two were pulled off the stack and ten feet apart, facing one another, a third lay on it's side next to the stack, as though it had been dropped or knocked over. Behind the chairs were a few small stacks of paper.
    A table was along one side of the hall covered in an assortment of tastefully laid out food, at one end was a punch bowl with some pop and a water dispenser next to it. The far side of the hall (which was admittedly rather small to be called that) had a small hallway with a sign indicating that both the bathrooms and a kitchen were that way.

Antanas was nearly at the hall, and he began keeping his eyes out for parking. He was lucky, this street wasn't that busy, so he should be able to park close, he figured.
    by Teaj
    Belinda jumped when someone called to her, and her snakes hissed at the man. Jennifer the Rattlesnake especially, her rattle was shaking all over. After the split second it took for Belinda to realise it wasn't, in fact, someone who wanted to hurt her, she mumbled something to the snakes and they fell silent. "Uh..,.yes, I suppose I am early." She replied. Then the door opened, and she hurried inside, not wanting to be out in the open any more than she had to.

"Thank you." She told the woman with the.......face.....God, that was a terrible thought to have, Belinda had always been the "woman with the face" and she hadn't enjoyed it. She decided it best to ask her name. "What's your name?"
    As someone opened the front door, Sarin hopped out and quickly made her way up to the entrance. She didn't get a good look at the first one in, but the second appeared to be wearing some sort of raincoat, deapite the clear weather. Sarin caught the door before it shut, slipping inside and letting go before her sweaty palms had the chance to curdle the door's paint. "Um. Hello," she said, announcing her presence.
    My writing project
    "Oh I'm sorry!" The woman said to Sarin as she slipped in, turning her face right to her, "I hadn't noticed you! My name is Eylen Panoptis. It's wonderful to meet you all. I have a few things to finish setting up. Please keep in mind that this is an anonymous meeting, you're free to use your name if you like, but regardless please don't go telling others about the people you meet here. We've all been through the same things so I'm sure I don't actually need to say that, but legally I do. Sorry, I'm rambling. I'm gonna finish setting up the chairs..." she turned away from the group and bee lined to the chairs.
    edited November 2016
    Name: Mortimer (Mort) Grimsky

Appearance: Mort was once an incredibly handsom fellow. He remembers his thick black curls and deep brown eyes well, and the dark tan he used to get in the middle of summer when the heat kept him out working. Now, however, he's gastly pale. The color one would assume bone to be. His once round cheeks are sunken, his lips peeled back to almost nothing. His entire frame is gaunt and somewhat shriveled. He used to wonder why illustrations of Death depicted him in long flowing robes and a hood, but now Mort understands. Clothes hurt. He hasn't adopted the use of a scythe yet, but he does use a cane that nearly matches him.

Powers: It seems that Mort has become Death. Most of the time everyone and everything around him is safe, but other times the grass beneath his feet wilts, house plants in the window die as if struck by a sudden frost. There's only been on accident with actual people.

Bio: Mort's gift was one given to him during puberty, and was subtle enough at first that he wasn't able to see that something was wrong. He'd grown up the only child to his widowed mother (Pops died when Mort was three), and maybe that death was what caused Mort to become Death. Hid mother had worked hard to provide for the two of them, often working several jobs just to keep them comfortable. When he was old enough, Mort started helping and together they were able to put a little money into savings for the first time in years. Things were looking up, until things started dying around him. Quite literally. His mother... He hated to abandon her, but he knew he needed to move out to keep her safe. Especially After. He can't bring himself to remember the person who had died because of him.

((Just wanted to make sure all was well with Mort before posting as him.))
    by zonzonn
    "You have a faint glimmer shining somewhere in the caves of your heart. Maybe you just need a swift breeze to run through you to help spread the fire."
    ((Looks good, not sure how you'll use him when fights inevitably start to happen but that'll be up to you.))
    edited November 2016
    Mort had spent the better part of the afternoon trying to decide if he wanted to go to the meeting or not. A few of his house plants had withered in the process. Finally, he'd thrown the hood of his cloak up over his skull and trudged out the door. He had gotten a late start, and kept his path to side streets. He grumbled to himself about being late, but there was little to be done. He rounded the corner in time to see a door closing about halfway down the block. He headed for it, assuming it to be the address. He hesitated outside the door before knocking. It felt too rude to just barge in. Death should be invited.

((I'll figure it out. He's had a lot of time to practice hitting things with his cane, at least?))
    by zonzonn
    Antanas found a parking spot not too far from the address and began walking. As he rounded a corner he saw a hooded figure knock on a door, he was still a couple blocks away, but it looked like the place so he picked up his pace to a light jog.

"Oh!" Eylen said, hearing the knock and turning around, "it must be later than I thought for so many people to be arriving." She she turned one of the folds of skin on her arm snapped shut, if one was paying attention they would have seen an eye with a red iris looking out from her bicep.
    She moved past the group and went to check the door.
    "Hello, come on in!" She said after opening the door, "we're not quite ready to begin yet, but there's food and drinks you can snack on until we are!" As she said this she moved out of the way to let Mort in, she also noticed Antanas coming and waited until he got in after Mort to close the door again.

((Didn't mean for Eylen to be such an air head, but I'm okay with this.))
    edited November 2016
         Archie startled at the sudden hissing coming from the woman he'd addressed, but couldn't say anything before she'd already entered the meeting hall. It wasn't the worst first impression he'd made so far so he let it go. He was taken aback by Eylen's cheeriness when she opened the door and walked inside with a distinctly bizarre feeling. It looked almost like the Alcoholics Anonymous meetings that could be seen on TV but the people who were coming couldn't even really be called people anymore. He kept his poncho on for the sake of appearances and the fact that he was essentially naked from the waist up without it. "Don't suppose we get nametags or something?" he asked, remembering that fact from an episode somewhere.
    by CobaltBookworm
    edited November 2016
    "If you like I could make some up," Eylen said, moving back towards the chairs, "I don't think any more people will be coming tonight, there's never very many, so names shouldn't be hard to remember, but if you want name tags I do have some in my bag just in case."
    by Teaj
         Archie turned down the offer with a wave of one of his tentacles, rubbing another through his hair while he pulled an extra chair from the pile. "Nah, it's okay, ma'am. I was just joking. Lighten up the mood a little." He let go of the metal chair with a distinct pop of his suckers and sat down, tipping back to balance on only of its two legs.
    OOC: Nice pic. Is that color in your hair?

Sarin bobbed her head at Eylen's hospitality, and wandered over to the snack table (grabbing two plates in case she accidentally burned through one of them.) "Thank you. So, um... I haven't been to one of these before... what, uh, exactly, do we do?" She grabbed a couple of carrots, shoving one in her mouth embarrassedly as if that would shut her up.
    My writing project
    ((technically? I mean. Yeah, but it's from... uh... minimum 6 months ago.))

"I wasn't really sure either?" Anatans admitted, deciding to just stand there awkwardly. Eating in public always to... well... flies like food.

Eylen's smile didn't change as she put a few more chairs down, one for each person in the circle (minus the one Archie had grabbed). "For now, just relax and talk among yourselves. Once you're ready, come join me in the circle and we'll begin. Today we'll be talking about what the group is for, as well as starting with some social exercises."
    Mort should not have come, he realized this now. He tugged self-consciously at his hood, then the long sleeves. Even though he spied tentacles on others, he was not prepared to bare it all in front of others. He shot a brief glance around, and shot a hand out to grab onto a small fist of chips. He tucked his hand back into his sleeve. After very obvious glances around the room, he would pop a chip into his mouth. Ominous crunching could be heard from the hood.
         Archie raised an eyebrow at the phrase 'social exercises', he'd come to the meeting to meet others like him, not so much for the therapy feel-good side. At the sound of crunching chips, he looked over at the snack table and the hooded guy beside it. He hadn't had potato chips in quite a while and seeing them offered urged him to get up and pile a plate high. Picking up the bowl with two of his tentacles, he poured a generous helping onto a paper plate. "Nice cane, dude. Looks wicked," he commented to his fellow chip connoisseur.
    Belinda looked at the snacks that were arranged. She couldn't eat without taking off her face, but she picked up some little cocktail sausages and fed them to her snakes. "I'm Belinda." She announced, to nobody in particular.
    Anatans moved closer to the table but still didn't touch anything. "Anatans," he said, "nice to meet you all and all that stuff." He shuffled uncomfortably and looked out the window. People were moving along the street now.