Could you tell me a bit about the themes?

Nyuu3Nyuu3 SloveniaPosts: 1
Hi, I've been following the videos for half a year and thought I'm picking out a book to start with.
So I looked up the synopses (and how to pluralize synopsis), but none of them exactly grab me. Call me escapist, but I like my art a lot less real.

Still, I'll trust John to make interesting observations so on a more philosophical level, what are the books about?

Comments

• SkyDoctorSkyDoctor Exoplanet HD 189733bPosts: 58
    edited November 2016
    Nyuu3 said:

Call me escapist, but I like my art a lot less real.

I believe that one of the good things about all art is it can serve as an escape from the "real world" that can so often be cold, heartless, and cruel, while also reminding us of the good parts of the world.

I have read his two most recent books Paper Towns and The Fault in Our Stars.

Paper Towns is about a boy who likes a girl and when she runs away, leaving a trail of breadcrumbs, he is disillusioned to the fact that she is normal and not what he had always seen her. It has some good philosophical stuff to it, ranging from we will never know what it's like to really be another person and how all our social lives are all a fun-house mirror of who we are.

The Fault in Our Stars is about a girl with cancer who meets a boy who had cancer. Once again it deals with lots of philosophy. It is depicted in a very real fashion that has made it extremely popular but also makes it increasingly sad. Depressing. I don't normally cry from a book because there is a distinct barrier between the fictitious world and the real one, but this one had me in tears.

Personally, I like Paper Towns a bit more and would recommend it to you.
    by SkyDoctor

memento mori

igitur

memento vivere