Newbie makes Vlog in Madagascar... Suggestions? Questions?

NicPelegriNicPelegri Sambaina, Madagascar, at the Université Adventiste ZurcherPosts: 3
Hey there! I'm currently in the process of trying to begin my first vlog - beside the one that I tried when I was fifteen, which lasted for a single episode, and am not entirely certain still exists - and I was wondering if anyone had some advice.... maybe... yes?

I'm an American living in Madagascar right now, teaching English and Journalism at the Universite' Adventiste Zurcher in Sambaina, which is about an hour by taxi-brousse from Antsirabe, Madagascar's third largest town. I figured I could do a vlog about what it's like living as an expat, as a professor, as someone living in Madagascar, yadda yadda. I just live a little too close to my own life, and don't really know where would be a good point to begin. There are a couple of youtube tips videos, but most of them are by guys who are talking about how to "build your brand" and be successful, which turns me less into a squid of anger, and more of a mildly perturbed vicuña.

I just downloaded my first video editing software (VSDC, some goodlookin' freeware), and I have a roadworn Canon Rebel T3I who rode my shoulder in Fiji, Iceland, Istanbul, Mauritius, and a big chunk of the US... I have a mini tripod, and a cracked-bodied and bestickered laptop... and that's about it as far as tech goes. Many things are very cheap here; imported technology is not one of them, so my audio's gonna be what my audio's gonna be. *shrugs*

Does anyone have some suggestions, or questions about life in Madagascar? Any advice would be appreciated!

DFTBA

Nic

Comments

• beepbop1011beepbop1011 International Space StationPosts: 616 ✭✭✭
    Post a link, I wannq subscribe!
    bzz bzz zzz bzz bzz zzz bzz bzz zzz bzz bzz zzz
  • NicPelegriNicPelegri Sambaina, Madagascar, at the Université Adventiste ZurcherPosts: 3

Post a link, I wannq subscribe!

Thanks! The first video uploaded a little badly - I'm not entirely certain how to fix it, the audio doesn't quite mesh up to the video until partway into it - but the second one turned out okay!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKhHgnJQDpMm_woRuxrSIpA
  • beepbop1011beepbop1011 International Space StationPosts: 616 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    @NicPelegri cool, thanks!
    by beepbop1011
    bzz bzz zzz bzz bzz zzz bzz bzz zzz bzz bzz zzz
  • PrincessBPrincessB Posts: 12
    Hey Nic! I'm Melissa (Mel)
    It's so neat that you're starting your vlog(a month ago)! My bf& I also have a vlog, we started ours at about the same time as you! We are still figuring things out! We are currently using this thing called Snoball for audio & GoPro for video.
    We vlog about all sorts of different things! Check us out if you'd like & I will for sure check yours out! We are super awkward at 1st but we are slowly getting more comfortable. I would write more but I am super tired so hopefully you'll see this message & comment back!
    DFTBA (:

• NicPelegriNicPelegri Sambaina, Madagascar, at the Université Adventiste ZurcherPosts: 3
    PrincessB said:

Hey Nic! I'm Melissa (Mel)

Thanks for saying hi, Mel (and Cody)! :D I just subscribed, and it looks like you're on your way to an awesome channel! I was actually looking into the Snowball mic, it looks pretty cool. :) I'll have to pick one up in August when I head back to the west-ish-ness (Amazon doesn't ship to Madagascar, unfortunately). I want to keep going on my vlog, but I got hit pretty hard with typhoid at thanksgiving, and then since recovery, it's been finals, which I'm finding are actually harder as a professor than as a student, lol. Thanks for messaging, and I look forward to seeing more stuff on your vlog!

Best wishes,

Nic
  • PrincessBPrincessB Posts: 12
    Thanks! I just subscribed to you as well! I'm sorry to hear you weren't feeling well but glad you're doing better! Good luck with all the final stuff! Pretty neat that you're a professor! Looking forward to watching your stuff as well!
    Later! Melissa