Recommend me some conservative YouTubers, podcasts, news sites...?

In the wake of the election, I've resolved to imagine others more complexly than ever before. I don't want to just right off everyone who voted Trump as garbage. Right now, I refuse to believe that someone who buys a tshirt that was made in China does so for the expressed purpose of actively foiling human/workers rights. Right now, I refuse to believe that some one who skips the organic, fair-trade coffee does so because they want to see the environment destroyed, or a Nicaraguan farmer ruined. And right now, I refuse to believe voting for Donald Trump means you love every part of him, and aren't horrified by the bits of him that are horrifying.

But am I wrong to refuse to believe?

I'm realizing now what a good job I've done in self-selecting my own little truth bubble. I follow Vlogbrothers and WheezyWaiter and FiveThirtyEight and Hannah Hart because those people have the same values and thoughts and attitudes as me. They're people who connect the dots the same way I do, so I view them favorably. Their points of view sound right to me, since they're so similar to mine. I like and trust these voices because they sound just like mine. And I (like everyone else on the planet) agree with everything I say - if I didn't, I wouldn't be saying it, right?

If I want to imagine The Others more complexly, I need a more complex picture to work from. I need a more vaired diet of opinions and information and ideas.

That's why I've decided I want to start subscribing to more YouTubers that are conservative and libertarian. I want to hear the other side explain themselves IN THEIR OWN WORDS.

Problem is, I have no idea where to start.

What YouTubers, Podcasters, Bloggers, etc. should I be checking out? Reccomendations? John? Hank? Nerdfighteria? Who are the voices on the other side that I need to listen to in order to get a better grip on the WHOLE of the country I live in?

My only criteria is no conspiracy theories, no on-the-sleeve racist/sexist/homophobic/etc, simpleton stuff. You can suggest Alex Jones and Breitbart, but you're wasting your time. I'm only interested in serious voices. (And yes, there is a difference. Me saying "I want to hear the good stuff from the right" is not the same as saying "I want to hear EVERYTHING from the right." The same as what goes for the left - me saying John Oliver is good stuff, doesn't mean I follow Al-Shabab on twitter.)

I've started watching the National Review and WSJ on YouTube, and reading SE Cupp. I'm watching (recent) Megyn Kelly clips, and listening to more centrists, from Jonathan Haidt to Bill Burr.

But what else have people found? Anyone have suggestions?

And Vlogbrothers, a video recommending "good, nonbonkers rightwing public thinkers" would really help Nerdfighteria imagine others complexly, at a time that that acctually means a great deal.

Thanks!

Comments

• RolloRollo Operative 6081, MiniTrue Airstrip Three, OceaniaPosts: 1,883 ✭✭✭
    DanWhalen said:

And right now, I refuse to believe voting for Donald Trump means you love every part of him, and aren't horrified by the bits of him that are horrifying.

But am I wrong to refuse to believe?

Let me preface this by saying that I am an Australian and therefore saw this whole thing from the same point of view of when I watch Carlton and Collingwood play each other - I hate both sides.
    Doobly doo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzPq5aR1_Jo

It didn't really matter who either side threw up, we're still going to get four more years of the same.
    Having said that, as a sports fan who watches American politics as a neutral, it meant that I didn't carry any of the internal biases.

So then:
    Why would anyone vote for Trump?

My question is did anyone actually vote for Trump?

It seems to me that people voted for the Republican Party (and gave them both houses and the Presidency), that they voted against Hillary not because she is a woman but because she is Hillary, and because there is the issue of at least one and as many as four Supreme Court picks.

In the grand scheme of things, only 27.01% of elligible voters voted for Trump; while 27.74% of voters voted for Hillary. Mostly they include the rusted-on voters who will vote for anyone, no matter how horrible, that the party puts on.
    DanWhalen said:

What YouTubers, Podcasters, Bloggers, etc. should I be checking out? Reccomendations? John? Hank? Nerdfighteria? Who are the voices on the other side that I need to listen to in order to get a better grip on the WHOLE of the country I live in?

Try these two.

The NPR Politics Podcast:
    http://www.npr.org/podcasts/510310/npr-politics-podcast

The Politico Nerdcast Podcast:
    http://www.politico.com/tag/nerdcast

Morning Edition and All Things Considered also from NPR will touch on political issues; as does PBS News Hour.
    "I speak an infinite deal of nothing and I am not bound to please thee with my answers."

I've written four books - you might like to buy them: Linky - Doobly Doo
  • beepbop1011beepbop1011 International Space StationPosts: 570 ✭✭✭
    I don't think there are too many legit right wing podcasts/ magazines because the whole basis of the alt right is denial of evidence. That said, WheezyWaiter's post election video will helpsna you rationalize the result.
    bzz bzz zzz bzz bzz zzz bzz bzz zzz bzz bzz zzz
  • This is commendable of you. I am here (Nerdfighteria) because of a similar view. I am a Christian. I am also conservative, and vote Republican because the platform matches up with my beliefs, not because the individuals who label themselves "republican" always live up to the platform.

I began watching John Green videos via his Tumblr because I wanted to understand his perspective, then found Vlogbrothers, and now I'm here. I don't want to live in an echo chamber, and frankly, I find the whole echo-chamber thing pretty shocking on all accounts. I don't understand only wanting to be surrounded by people just like you in thought. (Especially since that number invariably gets smaller and smaller as you go along and eventually find that there is no one identical to you in thought.)

I saw a TED Talk (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6vM4dhI9I8) awhile back about the social media algorithms that create echochambers without our knowledge, and it made me think about the fact that valuing the beliefs and opinions of others, because the other people are valuable, not because you agree with them, is something that I want to be true of me. I want for people to look back on knowing me, after my death, and be able to say, honestly, "She didn't always agree with me, but she treated me with kindness. I felt valuable to her, even when I was in opposition to her, ideologically."

Part of that desire in me is because of my faith. I know that every human being was created by a God who loves EACH of us deeply, created us uniquely in His own image, and knows us by name, and it is a disservice to the unique individual to lump him in with a bunch of other people and label him. It is a disservice to the God I love for me to not love others well. And it hurts when others lump me into some category and call me hateful things just because they have a perception of what "Christian" means, or "conservative", or "American", or "middle class", or whatever.

So, yay, you @DanWhalen! I hope you find success in stepping out of the echochamber and imagining me complexly.
  • NerdWriterFighterNerdWriterFighter HogwartsPosts: 167 ✭✭

I don't think there are too many legit right wing podcasts/ magazines because the whole basis of the alt right is denial of evidence. That said, WheezyWaiter's post election video will helpsna you rationalize the result.

Not everyone in the right wing is in denial of evidence. The loud ones and the ones with the greatest power do are forcing the idea that climate doesn't exist across their party. If you criticize your own party, then you will not get the support of the party because the powerful ones do not believe in moderate ideals. The ones who tend to vote are more right winged conservatives and the people who are ignorant and want to hear super straight forward answers to questions. When I say ignorant, I do not mean bad, I just mean that they do not know any better and they were probably raised to think that way and they do not know that there is no simple solution to problems. We are all ignorant in some shape or form and that is not bad at all. The problem in America is that the Republicans are moving too far right and same for the far left and the Democrats are moving too far left. The moderates do not vote in the primaries and are less likely to vote than the far right winged people. The conservative right is mostly a bunch of rich people who are greedy want more money, so they deny stuff like climate change because they are the CEOs of oil companies and they get money from them. Despite what he has said more recently, I believe John Mccain believes in the existence of climate change. Today, he has had contradicting viewpoints on it based on the article and before the 2008 presidential election, he spoke out that climate change exists. I do not believe someone changes their viewpoint so easily like that. He changed it so he can get the support from the republican party in control. He would just get a major backlash from the republican party if he said anything. Most of the moderates/voters probably do believe in climate change, but you do not hear about them because when they get in office, it is usually more at the local level. The voters almost have no other choice to vote for the ones denial of evidence because they do not believe in the extreme left like Clinton.

The left has the same problem too with support from people from their own party. I say a lot of it is a lot of rich elites who have lost touch with the party. In the primaries, the DNC and most super delegates clearly had a biased for Clinton because she was part of their group the longest. Bernie Sanders didn't have a chance because he spoke out against the DNC who was basically controlled by big corporations who bought them out. Bernie called out their greed and inhumane actions and the DNC didn't like it because the big corporations who give them money want less restrictions because they are greedy.