The Last One to Post Here Wins

Comments

• MontannaPeachMontannaPeach Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭
    @Vicki That's hilarious. Have you seen the SNL opening Chris Pine did about that a few weeks back?

Thanks! Yes, I did! It took a little over four hours on Adobe Illustrator. I'd never drawn a woman, anything below the waist, or even hands before, so it had its challenges. XD But it was so much fun.
    "I'll be a story in your head. That's okay. We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?"

Check out the new nerdfighter zine: http://thegreenlightzine.wix.com/home
  • gnaistgnaist Stanford, CA, USAPosts: 4,836 Admin
    You're amazing @MontannaPeach!!

I hope everyone is doing well! Summer is busy, but less busy, sometimes different busy, and SUPER HOT! Hope y'all are staying cool!
    Prince of the Last Ones
    I'm on a brand new collab channel: The Last One To Vlog Here Wins
    "The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart." -- Helen Keller
  • hermionegrangerhermionegranger Atlanta, Georgia, USAPosts: 44
    @MontannaPeach I wasn't even aware there was a nerdfighter zine, so thanks for leading me to it.
    @gnaist I find myself staying indoors until 6:30 to solve the problem of heat in July.
    A life? Cool! Where can I get one of those?
  • BohemamineBohemamine Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    @gnaist @hermionegranger I can't imagine how hot it would be farther south. Even now I do all of my running very early in the morning because that is when it is cooler.
    Mors vincit omnia.
  • BriRose23BriRose23 MarylandPosts: 1,576 ✭✭✭
    hello strangers. Or perhaps I'm the stranger? It feels like I've been gone a while...

and yes, this heat has been awful. I have been mostly trapped inside because of it. also the pollen and air quality in my area have not been cooperating. so I am still very pale :(

There is no darkness as dark as great light corrupted - Lauren Kate

TUMBLR    NERDY TUMBLR    GOODREADS    TWITTER    FACEBOOK    INSTAGRAM

• VickiVicki Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12
    We had the worst of our heat about 2 or 3 weeks ago. It was super gross. Admittedly it's the thinnest one I own, but I am wearing a jumper right now because it's gone down to a lovely 14 degrees !!! (Which I think is mid-fifties for you strange americans :p )
    by Vicki
    "This is not words. This is just squiggles on a page.This is notation." - Vi Hart
    I reside in the land of the last ones. 

@Vicki that weather sounds lovely! My area is still in the mid 90's (mid 30's for those of you who use reasonable measuring scales). I'm very ready for fall weather soon! I know it's going to be a while but if @gnaist has already found christmas trees, then a girl can hope!

I LOVE CHRISTMAS IN JULYYYYY XD
    Prince of the Last Ones
    "The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart." -- Helen Keller
    Yesterday I boxed up all my christmas decorations for moving house next week ... Summer christmas is the best
    "This is not words. This is just squiggles on a page.This is notation." - Vi Hart

edited July 13
    We should have an extra Christmas in July, so then the holidays are spread out a little more evenly. (Also, more presents!)
    by hermionegranger
    So ... the new doctor! Thoughts!

I'm (I think pleasantly) surprised they've gone for a female doctor, but I know if Stephen Moffat had tried to do that he would have made an awful. I think I'm tentatively optimistic, but seeing as I've never seen her as a major character in anything, or seen anything Chris Chibnall has written, I don't really know.

My summer is sweltering! I'm in Florida, so it's very uncomfortable at the moment. I'm taking three summer classes right now, which is intense, but also a lot of fun. I'm particularly enjoying my public speaking course. The professor is awesome.

@Vicki
    I'm not really surprised it's a female. They've been preparing the fanbase for it for a while with Matt Smith's Doctor thinking he was a girl right after his regeneration and then the Master becoming a woman. I've seen the actress before, and she is good. The role I saw her in wouldn't be fitting for the Doctor, though, so hopefully she can do more than that. I'm honestly pretty worried. Of course, I'm always worried when a new Doctor comes in. I don't like all the people saying "Finally! I can watch Doctor Who again" though. Like, just because it's a woman doesn't mean it's going to be good. Wait to see how she does first. And I think it takes away from Peter Capaldi's time there. I thought he was really good, and I don't think it's fair for people to ignore what he brought to the show.
    "I'll be a story in your head. That's okay. We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?"

hi again everyone! new doctor thoughts:

I don't feel particularly entitled to thoughts on the new doctor because I know very little of that world (I'm working on it!). But I do know somethings and I think it's great! I've heard some people say that it was sort of led up to? Again, I have no idea what I'm talking about. But John Barrowman said that the doctor can regenerate into anyone so there's no reason it can't be a woman.

@BriRose23
    Yeah, it was definitely led up to. It's been made clear multiple times in the past that the Doctor could change into a woman, and characters have been making comments related to it more and more recently. I like the way Georgia Moffett played her character in "The Doctor's Daughter" and I was thinking that if Jodie Whittaker did something similar to that, it would make a lot of people happy. Basically, the new Doctor better do a lot of running, or I'll be disappointed. XD Every time a new Doctor is announced, people are concerned about if they'll stay true to who The Doctor is. We've gotten some really great ones recently, and everyone's afraid of their favorite show being ruined. So when the new Doctor is even a little bit different from the last one, everyone freaks. Even more so when it's a completely different gender. I'm sure it'll be fine, though. It always is in the end.

Sorry for being so long-winded. XD

Happy belated Esther Day everyone! I love you guys!
    Prince of the Last Ones
    Happy Esther Day! I love you guys so much!
    I missed Esther Day on here, but I still want to tell you guys I love you. This was one of the first groups of Nerdfighters I ever talked to, so you guys mean a lot to me. Add that to the fact that you're all awesome people, and what's there not to love?

Oh man. Things around here have really become quiet. Quieter than ever before I think. I hope you're all doing well!!

I'm on summer break, which is far, far too short for my tastes. And I'm already freaking out about the fall's classes. But I went to Oregon in an RV with my Stanford friends and I got to see the total eclipse! :)
    Prince of the Last Ones
    edited August 31
    *whispers* Hello? Is there anyone here?
    I feel like everything kinda just died around here. @gnaist I did see the eclipse and I got about 97 or 98% and it was so amazing and mindblowing and just WHOA!
    Are you guys still on summer break or getting back into school? I've been in school for nearly a month, since August 3rd.
    by hermionegranger
    I think things have been slow around here for a long time, but this is the longest we've gone without much word from anyone.

Yayy for seeing the eclipse! It was really neat! I more enjoyed the journey with my friends, but the eclipse was pretty awesome too.

I'm on break. My fall quarter starts the last week of September, but I have to start preparing now. A teacher's work is never done... :P
    Prince of the Last Ones
    HI! I'm back! I'm sad to see it's been so quiet in here! I hope everyone is well, and doing awesome things!

First, Happy (very belated) Esther day to all of you beautiful people. I love all of you because you're awesome and because I know you're always here when I need you. :heart:

Second, @gnaist it's so cool that you got to see the total eclipse. I've been looking forward to it since 2007(ish?). I wanted to travel to see the total eclipse but it ended up not being possible for me (more on that later), but I have another chance in 2024! :) I did get to see this one at about 80% from my house though, which was pretty cool.

Third, since none of you like me enough to follow me on snapchat (jk :tongue: ), I'll give you my life update. Basically, summer is always worse for me because pollens, humidity, etc. but this summer has been extra harsh for some reason so I've been feeling pretty not awesome lately. That's part of the reason that I haven't been on here in a while. Also, those of you who follow me on twitter know that I took a serious break from most social media for about a month. What was happening was certain posts/people were causing me a lot of stress and anxiety, and that started to manifest in physical symptoms that were causing a lot of pain. So I let my friend take over my accounts and sort of "clean up" my feeds so that I wouldn't see those kinds of posts anymore (and apparently he posted some gifs of attractive male celebrities? :lol: ). Anyway, I'm back on social media now, and I realized that I hadn't been on here in a while.

Fourth, in my time of feeling like poop, and not having social media, I binge watched A LOT of TV shows, including Doctor Who. I'm currently on series 6, so hopefully I will catch up before the next series starts. I think I have about a year, so I think I'll be okay.

Fifth, (last one, I promise) I've decided that the best way for me to get back to school will be an online program, so I'm working on that. I've talked to enrollment counselors, and done some research and I think I'm ready to start applying. Yay for more education!

Again, I hope everyone is doing well! *hugs*

edited September 3
    With it being both very cloudy and almost night time, and me living on the side of England furthest from America, I unsurprisingly didn't see any of the solar eclipse. I saw a lunar eclipse up in leeds a couple of years ago though, and that was pretty cool. I've been spending slightly more time than I should have been shut in the freezer for science/dissertation purposes, and generally been surprisingly busy (for me at least :p ). Soz for not being around though.

@BriRose23; They'll be a new episode at Christmas, but I think the next series of new who (11? 12?) starts around Easter. It always used to be that the first episode was on Easter Saturday, but a couple of the more recent series have started in the Autumn, so I'm not completely sure :/

by Vicki

@Vicki I think I read/heard somewhere "late 2018" and it's "late 2017" now so I figured a year. I'll probably be done pretty soon though. Maybe before Christmas.

Also, Happy birthday @gnaist !!! I know I'm a little late but I still love you! <3!

Wait, @BriRose23, so the male celebrities gifs weren't from you?? How sad... XD

Thanks for the birthday wishes! I had a great birthday, full of nieces and nephew and friend time. I also just came back from New York, where I saw Dear Evan Hansen on Broadway. OMG Y'ALL IT IS AMAZING!! I cried and teared up a few times and it's just the best. The understudy for Dear Evan Hansen I saw (Michael Lee Brown) was SO FREAKING GOOD. I don't know how they get such emotion from acting. But yes. Go see it if you can. SO GOOD.

Now it's two weeks until classes start and I am not even remotely prepared. Ugh. SO much to do. I hope you're all well!!
    Prince of the Last Ones
    Hi!! Oh, man, it's been so long. @BriRose23 Sorry to hear you've been feeling crappy. I actually just downloaded Snapchat again. What's your username? Also, I'm so happy you're watching Doctor Who!

I've found a new obsession. I went to a Lifehouse/Switchfoot concert a couple weeks ago, and I sort of fell in love with Switchfoot. I've always liked Lifehouse, but I didn't know anything about Switchfoot. I know a lot now. :sweat_smile:

Other than that, life has just been busy with school and work and hurricane stuff. :P

edited September 14
    @gnaist no, sadly they weren't from me. but I can post more if you'd like ;P Also, I've been hearing about Dear Evan Hansen A LOT recently but I don't know anything about it. I'm glad you've had a good birthday and sorry about school stress! I'm in the process of writing my admission essay for grad school and it's frying my brain.

@MontannaPeach YESSSS! Snapchat ftw! haha my username is brirose23 (big surprise :tongue:) I'm in the middleish of series 8 of doctor who so hopefully I'll be caught up soon!
    I hope you and all of your friends/family are doing well! I've been trying to keep up with all of my Floridians during the storm, and helping when I can, but it's hard when some don't have power/internet. :/
    by BriRose23

Thanks! We are doing well. There were only a couple spots of water damage, and it took us about 5 hours to clean up branches from the yard, but it could have been worse. There are several houses and cars that got smashed by trees. Lots of power lines are down, and there's still a good bit of flooding in some areas.

I also keep hearing about Dear Evan Hanson. What exactly is it about, @gnaist? Without spoilers, obviously. XD

I am glad to hear that you are doing well @MontannaPeach !
    @BriRose23 Good luck with your admission papers!
    @to the doctor who fandom I have been wanting to start watching Doctor Who for a long time, but I wasn't sure if it would only make sense if I watched from the beginning or if it was okay to jut start with any season. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    @MontannaPeach I'm glad to hear that there wasn't too much damage for you! I have friends/family scattered across Florida and it seems like most places had manageable damage. I guess we were lucky that it wasn't as bad as we thought it'd be.

@hermionegranger I was in the same situation before I started but I decided to just start from the beginning (or the second beginning?) I haven't watched any of the older episodes from the 1960's, but I want to. You could probably start anywhere and be okay, though some things might be a little confusing, depending on how much you already know. I recommend starting from the beginning (2005) though because there are some important things that happened early on. Also you have to see Rose (she's the best I don't care what anyone says) and Captain Jack, of course.