Why is Hank dishonestly claiming he "invented" 2D glasses?

It's pretty disappointing to see. At first he wasn't using language like that, he said he "made a thing" etc, but John kept telling him he invented it and now Hank says it too. Only in the loosest sense is that remotely true, and in that same sense he also "invented" the bowl of cereal he ate for breakfast...

Hank claims to have had the idea in December of 2010. The technique he uses for his 2D glasses was popularized in December of 2009 when Avatar came out because 10% of the people going to see it were getting sick. You can find people modifying the same 3D glasses Hank modified and explaining how it works long before Hank was even aware anyone got sick from watching 3D movies.

Fact of the matter is, Hank was just the first guy to purchase and resell a large custom order of 3D glasses with both eyes having the same filter. He doesn't manufacture the product and he didn't come up with the technique. What's he invented here? The name??

It's going to make everyone associated with him look bad when he's called on it. He's done lots of other interesting things, I don't understand why he's trying to take credit for the invention of an already established and documented modification of an existent product?

Comments

• RolloRollo Operative 6081, MiniTrue Airstrip Three, OceaniaPosts: 1,889 ✭✭✭

Fact of the matter is, Hank was just the first guy to purchase and resell a large custom order of 3D glasses with both eyes having the same filter. He doesn't manufacture the product and he didn't come up with the technique. What's he invented here? The name??

You can prove this?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexknapp/2011/05/03/q-and-a-with-hank-green-inventor-of-2d-glasses/#2c96cb691bb2
    RO: You started off just making the glasses yourself, but now that you're in business, what's your production process?

- Forbes, 3rd May 2011.

That sounds to me like he invented a thing and contracts out the production of that thing to someone else.

Probably Hank owns the patent.

http://www.2d-glasses.com/story.html
    In late 2010 I wanted to go see Tron Legacy. My wife was happy to come with me…as long as we went to the cheap theater where it was playing in 2D.
    Instead of “recycling” the 3D glasses that my wife and I used during the movie, I took them home. After a lot of poking and twisting and gluing and cutting and cursing and sawing, I had created my first pair of 2D Glasses.

All of this sounds perfectly plausible to me.
    "I speak an infinite deal of nothing and I am not bound to please thee with my answers."

I've written four books - you might like to buy them: Linky - Doobly Doo