What is your opinion about online friendships/romantic relationships that can only remain online?

Like, let's say you find someone you can connect with, you are really good friends with them. And you wish to have romantic relationship with them, but you now that you will never meet them. What do you do then? Is it better for my own mental sanity to just break it off right now? Because I am not sure i can just pine for someone I can never have.

Now knowing most of you good people here, you'll just say wait for them and stay friends. But I'm just not cut out for that. Logic states that I should just cut it off with them to save pain in the future.

I would like to hear both sides of the discussions. The pros and cons of doing both.

What do you think?

Thanks

Comments

• Gara_the_engineerGara_the_engineer In a log house at the edge of the forestPosts: 621 ✭✭✭
    I don't know if I could come with much aid here, since I can't really imagine myself doing anything but the silently pining for the person. I do however wonder if this is something you could talk to the person about? Maybe you don't feel like that's a good idea, or maybe the person could help you in your decision.
    The meaning of life is to give life a meaning
  • the_one_on_the_leftthe_one_on_the_left The top half of the longest undefended border in the worldPosts: 472 ✭✭
    @mypantsareonfire45 I know I'm five months late, but perhaps someone else will get something out of my reply.

As someone who has done this, I can say without a doubt it's as amazing and terrible as could be imagined. In my experience, it's been worth it under the right circumstances. Simply put, you need to be satisfied with your amount of contact, for some, that's a couple texts every other day. for others, that's multiple conversations per day. If you can both comfortably sustain a satisfying level of contact, it's largely problemless and at worst you'll miss them before ever meeting them, but your relationship will probably be healthy. Ultimately it's your decision, but I'd do it. Falling in love completely is a wonderful growing experience you'll be happy to have, particularly since online you'll be forced to fall for brains and personality first.
    I don’t know if I’m smart. I do however, consider myself fairly knowledgeable and logical, which is a decent substitute at least.