Death Note movie on Netflix

cassiea521cassiea521 Gainesville, Florida, USAPosts: 19
Hey everybody! I wanted to discuss Netflix's movie adaptation of the famous anime, Death Note. The full trailer just came out. IF you haven't watched it already, here is the link.

I wanted to discuss it and hear from different people and their opinions on it and hear from fans of the anime. To be honest, I don't know what to think of it. The movie is not out yet, it comes out August 25, but still, people are already commenting on the movie just based off the trailers.

This movie adaptation is made for an American audience because there will be action scenes and it looks like a thriller. The movie is not out yet, so I can't compare the characters of the Netflix movie to its source material, but it looks like the characters in the Netflix movie are not completely loyal to the source material. The Netlfix movie definitely looks interesting and looks well-made.

I will give this movie a chance when it comes out.

What do you think? What are your thoughts on the adaptation and any aspect of it?

Comments

• RialVestroRialVestro Posts: 6,346 ✭✭✭
    As you said it's not out yet. Apperently there is also another sequel to the original live action adaptation of the anime. People are calling it Death Note 3 but it would actually be the fourth live action Death Note movie though the third one was absolutely terrible and had nothing to do with the Death Note. The only time it appears in the movie is in a flash back were L writes his own name and details how he's going to die.

Anyway this Netflix version I thought was going to be a series not a movie. We already have a live action movie adaptation of the anime and I don't think Netflix can really compete when the sequel to that trilogy is being released at the same time. I much prefer the anime to the movie versions but I don't think Netflix could possibly do better than the original movie.

Death Note 1 was damn near identical to the anime. It's only in the sequels where things really get much different. 2 had a much different ending than the anime but was still good. It's only 3 that I hated. 4 from the trailers is going to focus on N and either a new character who was never in the Anime or tat girl from the Anime who got a Death Note after Light did. If it is her I can already tell one major difference from the anime and that's the fact that Light was still alive when she got her Death Note but both he and L are dead at this point in the movie universe.

Anyway I'm going to watch both the new Netflix version and the Japanese sequel when they come out. Death Note is one of my favorite anime next to Full Metal Alchemist.
    Ni, peng, nee-wom! Ecky, ecky, ecky, pakang, zoom-ping! Baa weep grahna weep ninny bong!
  • TheTomTheTom Posts: 17
    I think it's hard to judge before it's out, but from the look of the trailer it seems heavily Americanised. It also looks a little darker in some aspects. For example, Light in the trailer seems neurotic and somewhat like a highschool reject whereas Light in the anime is bright and studious.

I think it's best to treat the two as two seperate productions rather than relying on the film to have the same tone and style as the anime. They're being produced by two completely different cultures, so it's bound to wildly different.
    I also noticed that L has his face covered and is full grown black man rather than an Asian teenager. I think the change in age and randomly covering his face like some kind of super hero bother me the most. The only reason I could tell he was suppose to be L is because of a short clip showing him sitting just like he did in the anime and the original live action trilogy. But seriously why is he dressed like a ninja?

I actually almost considered going to comic con as L. I found out about it on short notice and not having time for a costume L is the perfect last minute cosplay. It seems lazy but considering I don't normally shave or wear white. For me throwing on a white T-shirt and shaving to look like L is the very bare minimum of effort. Though he never wears shoes and I can't walk around the fair grounds here without shoes on. That was really the one detail that made me decide against it.
    Ni, peng, nee-wom! Ecky, ecky, ecky, pakang, zoom-ping! Baa weep grahna weep ninny bong!
    edited September 6

But seriously why is he dressed like a ninja?

I think it's to hide his face from Kirra. That way he can't be killed...
    by TheTom
    But he needs a name to kill someone and no one even knows who L is so there's no reason to hide his face.
    But L doesn't know this right away. He only figures it out later. Therefore it makes way more sense to hide his face just in case.
    But in the anime there was a fake L set up so again it makes no sense to hide his face when Light never knew who he was. This was done in the original live action film as well. There's no reason for L to ever cover his face when no one who's who the hell he is. His name is unknown, only the people he works with even know what he looks like. The dude is rarely ever seen in public and wearing a mask would just draw more attention to him during the rare instances when he does go out in public.

The way L is in the Anime and original movie he's still able to blend into the general public without anyone knowing there's anything special about him because no one knows his name or face to begin with. What's the point of covering something that Light can't use to identify him in the first place. He lives a secretive, private, secluded life. That's also why he's so pale in both the anime and the original movie is due to lack of sunlight exposure and why he has weird quarks like not knowing how to sit in a chair cause he doesn't really interact with people much.

It just looks like he's a ninja for no reason. It's possible they could change the story to make it make sense but I have a feeling he's just going to be dressed like a ninja for the entire movie with no explanation why.
    So I watched the movie earlier today... they did change something except the mask was still pointless because he reveals his face to Light basically the first time they meet. Also, there was a change from the anime that made it more believable that a person would even be suspected for the murders in the first place. I never really got that in the original movie either, but for once there's actually a reason to suspect murder.

Another major change in this version is it's not just Light. He has a girlfriend. In the Anime and original films Light works alone. Originally only killing criminals and then slowly going down a dark path killing cops and FBI agents trying to stop him as well. In this movie he never resorts to that, it's the girlfriend who tries to push him to that. Kinda makes Light a more redeemable character in this version because he never wanted to kill innocent people.

L, despite the changes to his character was mostly left intact. His weird mannerisms are still there. The biggest change is he never sets up the fake L. That press conference still happens but it's actually him who appears with the mask on and no name given. Other than that I think he did a decent job of portraying the character. It kinda seemed like he was trying to stay as close to the source material as he could with the script he was given.

One thing I don't understand... why did they bother using motion capture for Reuk when his face is constantly in shadow for the entire freaking movie. I kept waiting for a revieal but it never happens. In the original movie he was kept in shadow at first but after he eats the first apple he steps out to where he can actually be seen. This movie has much better CGI but you can never see it because Reuk is basically just a shadow with glowing eyes. Seems like a waist of the motion capture technology when you can never see his face. They showed during the end credits his actor wearing the motion capture equipment, they had him set up so they could get his actual facial expressions, his performance, and then they never show any of it. That was really the biggest disappointment is that you can never see his face.

Also something I should point out, they did change one major rule of the Death Note seemingly to make it more of a horror gore film. In the original if you don't specify how they die they will always die of a heart attack. In this version that is not the case, you can choose how they die or it'll be random but no one dies of a heart attack unless you specifically write that in the Death Note. There is only one person who dies that way in the entire movie and I feel like they put it there just as a reference to the original. The others were far more violent. Not as bad as Saw but maybe something closer to Final Destination levels of gore. So if you can't handle movies like that you might just want to stay away from this one. Otherwise, despite the changes, it's still better than Death Note 3 L Change the World... speaking of which, there's suppose to be another sequel to that original live action trilogy coming out soon.
  • AdamTheAlienAdamTheAlien Canby, Oregon/Tacoma, WashingtonPosts: 36 ✭✭
    I tried to watch this adaptation with friends...we couldn't get through it. Part of me wants to finish it and give it a proper review...and then part of me thinks the fact that I can't watch the whole thing is all the review it needs.

I can handle changes. Every adaptation is an alternate universe to me. Heck, with Death Note, one could fan-theory their way into all kinds of interesting ideas that could leave it in the same world, with different characters of the same names. But I still couldn't get through it. From a purely "enjoying the movie as presented" level, it just couldn't hold me. It felt underwhelming.
    - Adam J. Manley
    You need to finish it. You might still hate it but you gotta see how it ends before you judge.
    I don't know that I agree with that. When it comes to entertainment, none of us need to do anything, and if a piece of entertainment fails to keep me to the end, it has failed in its attempt to entertain me. Even in theaters, there are movies I'd walk out of if I were in the theater alone. Not because I'm upset with them, necessarily, but because there are better ways to spend my time than watching something I'm uninterested in. This adaptation failed to interest me enough to keep me watching until the end. That was probably this version's biggest issue in terms of finishing it: I was bored. If I'd kept watching, I just would have fallen asleep, fiddled with my phone, or wound up in a conversation with the other, equally disinterested, people watching.
    - Adam J. Manley
    I think you misunderstand me. I'm not saying you need to watch the whole thing, I'm saying you need to watch the whole thing before you judge it. there's a difference.

You can't really judge something that you haven't actually seen. You don't have to watch anything but you can't have an opinion of a movie you have not actually seen. Lots of movies start out boring and uninteresting but get better towards the end. Jurassic Park for example, I fall asleep every time I try to watch that movie. It takes them forever to actually get into the park and that movie doesn't really get interesting until they actually enter the park. I still don't really like any of those movies because of how slow they tend to start out, except the most recent one which actually got to the park rather quick compared to the original trilogy. Most people love them but I tend to fast forward to the dinosaurs or fall asleep before the movie even gets there.

Just because a movie fails to keep your interest in the first ten minutes doesn't mean it's not going to get any better. If you're going to judge it, you have to finish it. If you don't want to finish it then you have no right to judge it.

And Death Note, I can say from actually watching the whole thing, yes it starts out slow as hell. Even after he finds the Death Note he doesn't use it right away. Once Ryuk shows up then things start to get a little interesting and there's a twist at the end I won't spoil here so yeah you really can't say how bad it is without actually watching it.

Oh another example, Twilight. I freaking hate those movies. It took me about three attempts to get threw the first one without falling asleep. I did eventually finish the damn thing and yes it was a waist of time cause it never got any better. The entire movie was boring as all hell. The vampires were poorly reimagined and aren't even really vampires they're just pale emo kids that sparkle in sun light. The main girl had the most bland boring performance I have ever seen. I've seen kids more than half her age that are less robotic. But again, if I hadn't actually seen the movie then I couldn't form any kind of opinion about it.

You have to know what you're talking about to voice an opinion about it.
    I see what you're saying to some degree, but there are reasons it's harder to apply "don't judge it until you've experienced all of it" to all situations. For instance, I watched much more than ten minutes. I watched until well after Ryuk showed up. I'm also not talking about being bored by the slow pace. I love slow pacing. I think more things need a slower pace, including the world itself.

I couldn't get invested in the lead character, nor the story. Some of that, I'll admit, was because I'd seen the anime, so I had some idea of what was going to happen already. But some of it was just that it was making a lot of film/storytelling choices that I find to be fairly bland, generic, even overused. And I doubt I'd feel better going further into a movie, because most movies get actiony in their second halves. I'm easily bored by action scenes. If I'm not invested before the actiony part of a movie begins, I'm only going to like the movie even less. I fell asleep during the actiony bits of the second live-action Hobbit movie. I like the first halves of the Jurassic Park movies that I've seen, but tend to get bored in the second halves.

I can enjoy action, but it's got to appeal to me in a way that most action scenes don't. I need Marvel's mid-battle banter to keep my mind engaged, or really jaw-droppingly pretty shots, or stunning fight choreography (the Ip Man movies are incredible for this), or something to keep me interested. Because without a little something special, once we get to action bits, I tune out. My brain says, "Yeah, yeah, okay, fight fight action fight die car explodes. I know this has to exist for the sake of continuing the story, but was ready to move on to the rest of the story about ten minutes ago." It's probable that this is due to a book-oriented childhood, where action bits (at least those without much dialogue, plot moving forward significantly, or character development) are usually limited to a paragraph, or even a sentence. Assuming they exist at all.

You say there's a twist at the end. That's nice. I say a movie that relies on the ending to be a good movie is not what I would consider a good movie. Too many films are so caught up with their twist that they forget to focus on the rest. I judge movies, books, etc, by their whole, not exclusively by their endings. I try to experience the whole thing. But if there's any aspect that's keeping me from getting to the end, I'm unlikely to enjoy it. I sat all the way through a theatrical showing of Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, hoping it would get better, and I regret that decision to this day.

Not wanting to finish something is, in and of itself, a judgement of sorts, even if someone says they're not judging something. Now, in the case of a series, I can understand saying, "Oh, wait until you get to this episode/season/issue/book/installment, it finds it's footing and really takes off from there." Series usually take a slower pace (which I love), and really take the time to build things up to be better than they started. Movies don't have that advantage, typically.

But even with a series, a person can judge something as not being something they'd enjoy, without having to experience it all, and it doesn't have to affect how someone else feels about it.

For instance, I don't like Supernatural. I love the cast, and there are interesting and funny moments, and I really want to like it. So I tried watching it, even though when it first began airing I caught a few episodes and decided it wasn't for me. But years later, so many friends loved it and encouraged me to try it that I felt it was worth a shot. So I did. And I was told it would get better. I kept being told it would get better. I watched six freaking seasons being told it would get better. It never did. It actually got worse. The things that disinterested me in the first place never went away, and only grew more prominent. Plus, new things I didn't like cropped up more and more.

There are 13 seasons of Supernatural. I watched six, and decided (again) that it wasn't for me. I didn't experience the whole thing. I'm not even sure it's done airing...my assumption is that it's still going. But do I have to experience all of it to determine I don't like it? No, I don't think so. And I apply that same thinking to movies, books, and more. I'll do my damndest, but if it can't hold me, it can't hold me. That's okay. It means it's not for me, and not everything is for everybody. Not everybody enjoys the same things, and not everybody has to.

I understand wanting people to enjoy the things we each enjoy. I understand encouraging it. But do not tell me I have to experience 100% of a thing before I'm allowed to judge it as not my thing. Sometimes you can tell early on. I made it probably halfway through Death Note, and that was already more than I really wanted. Honestly, I may yet give it another shot. But I have no eagerness to. It will either happen, because the opportunity arises, or it won't. And I have too much going on to spend time trying to actively and intentionally watch and rewatch a movie that doesn't interest me. Maybe I'll make a proper review. That would be motivation to sit down and watch it fully. But just for funsies? Nah. I can watch it for professional reasons, I can watch it for social reasons, but I have already judged it as "not my thing" on a casual, just-for-fun level, and I don't think there's anything wrong with judging it as just not being for me.
    - Adam J. Manley
    1. I'm not saying you need to judge it only on the ending either but to judge it as a whole like you said then you need to see it as a whole not just part of it. And I've seen a lot of movies with twist endings. When the twist is good and brings the whole store together I love twist endings. However a lot of directors don't really seem to get what makes a twist ending good and when it just leaves me confused unsure of what just happened or seems like it was shoehorned into a story that didn't need it then I hate them. The second one is kinda how about Death Note, it felt forced. And like I said you might still hate it but different people have different opinions. It's possible what felt like a forced unnessisary twist to me could be good to someone else.
    2. It's a completly different story than the anime. I seen the Anime and the original Japanese live action films and I still didn't have any idea what was going to happen next. The only scene that actually reminded me of the original version is when the Death Note falls from the sky, everything after that I kept expecting one thing and getting something totally different. I try not to make comparisons to see the story for what it is but that's hard to do without the perspective of someone who has never seen any other version of Death Note. I'm not sure how much of my not liking it is based on knowing the anime.
    3. I find it's a lot easier to watch movies in their entiretity than a tv series because a movie is only 2 hours long as apposed to a tv series that can take about 15 hours to finish and that's if you're bindge watching without commercials. Unless it's Transformers I'm not likely to finish a series I'm not enjoying. Dragon Ball is a great example of that, my brother use to watch it and back then we only had one TV in the house so I had to watch a few episodes and from what I saw all it was is screaming for half a hour with the occasional break to recap the story. And there was one time I remember it took multiple episodes just to complete one gawd damn fight scene. You mention long action scenes, I was ready to move on with the story five episodes ago. I have the same problem with Yu-gi-oh the duels get dragged out far too long. I'm fine with an episode ending on a cliffhanger in the middle of a battle once in a while but wrap it up in the next episode and move on. One action scene should not take up the entirety of three full episodes before they finally wrap it up. I'm not going to be able to finish a series that does that because I'm going to want to skip those episodes that I don't think were really needed to tell the story. It took me a long to get into anime at all because I was use to anime being crap like that. The thing is though I can't really talk about how good or bad the story was because all I really remember are those long drawn out battles. It's hard to get to the story when I'm so put off by the overly long battles that I can't even pay attention to the story. It also took me a long time to get into Doctor Who. My dad watched it when I was a kid but the classic series is so slow I still find it hard to watch. There are some stories I do like but trying to watch a whole series when most episodes are boring with characters I just don't like is really difficult. Matt Smith was my Doctor, it was during his run that for the first time in my life I liked the characters and the stories, and wanted to follow the series on my own and not just because my dad happen to be watching it. Well I guess you could say that Paul McGann was actually the first because I've always loved any story the Master is in but that's just one movie, not really enough to get me into the series. But technically he was the first Doctor who's run I enjoyed in it's entirety but I don't think that's hard to do when his entire run was that one movie. Of course that was before I knew about Big Finish and before his return for the 50th so they could show his regeneration into John Hurt. And Doctor Who has been running so long I honestly can't recommend watching it in it's entirety, plus some episodes mainly from Troughton's era you can't even watch anymore. For a TV series I would recommend the bits I enjoyed cause there's a chance you might enjoy them too. Or if I had a better idea of the kinda stuff you're into then I might recommend something more specific to you that is kinda similar to your usual preferences but I need to really get to know you before I can do that.

All that being said I find it a lot easier to say you need to finish this relatively short movie before you judge it than if someone told me they just couldn't finish the anime. If we were talking about the anime then I'd be thinking exactly why didn't you like the parts you saw and based on the answer to that try to judge from that if that ever changes in later episodes and depending on that recommend how far they should keep going or just let it go cause the anime is a lot more of a time commitment. I think you have to make more of a judgement call there as to if you want to finish it or not. I do find it annoying when someone says a series is bad because the first three episodes were bad. A series is more than just three episodes, you could say it just didn't interest you but to say it's a terrible series, you can't do that without actually watching it. But again it's a lot harder to really enforce that with a longer time commitment. I'd be much more annoyed if someone couldn't even finish the pilot before decideing it's a terrible series. You could at least finish an episode, maybe not the whole series.

Though British television tends to be a lot shorter than American shows. Like Blackadder, only has six episodes per season. There's four seasons and a couple one off specials. I would recommend watching at least one season, not the first season that's really the worst one, Rowan didn't really know how he wanted to play the character yet so he's a lot more awkward in that first season. Anything after that then check out one of the specials or finish at least one season and judge from there if you want to check out the rest of the series. My personal favorite episodes, they're in different seasons but there's a girl named Kate who poses as a boy named Bob and I just like the way everyone over enouciates the name Bob... also in one episode where she slips giving her real name first and then covering for it by saying it's short for Bob. The series is a hystorical comedy so every season is set in a different era in history. This is explained in one of the specials that involves time travel where a modern era Blackadder travels to different eras meeting or being mistaken for other Black adders in history. And the comedy aspects explains why they actually believe that Kate is short for Bob where in a more serious show it would of been really obvious she was a woman in men's clothing. There's some other stuff that happens but yeah check out a season... or the time travel special would probably be the best introduction since they visit every time period of the series, if you don't like it then don't watch any more but at least finish one special or one season. It's only six episodes. The specials are like little TV movies by the way.

There's also a Blackadder special that is a parody of A Christmas Carol. I would not recommend that one as your first exposure to Blackadder. Not because it's bad but because it's A Christmas Carol and there are so many versions of that story it's hard to watch that one as just Blackadder without comparing it to all the other Christmas Carol adaptations you've ever seen. So if you decide you like the humor of Blackadder and want to see more then you can check this out but don't make this your first experience.