How do you take off your shirt?

RialVestroRialVestro Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭
I was thinking the other night about this. The stereotype is that guys always take off their shirts from the top, reaching over the head and grabbing from the back of the neck while girls take off their shirts from the bottom. However from personal experience with short and long hair hair I think this difference has more to do with hair length than gender. When I try to do it the way I use to with short hair it's hard to do it that way now without pulling on my hair.

So my question is do other people have similar experiences with hair length effecting how they remove their shirts. For this to be the most helpful I need responses from other people who's hair doesn't match the traditional style of their gender, girls with short hair, guys with long hair. If I'm right, the way you remove your shirts should be reversed as well, if I'm wrong... well then it's still a mystery why the different genders take off their shirts differently.

It would also be helpful if you've had personal experience with both short and long hair. You don't need to say what your gender is, since we're mostly dealing with if short or long hair has any effect on how you take your shirt off. You can say your gender if you want but it's not required for this conversation. All I really need to know is hair length and if you take your shirt off from the top or the bottom. If you're had it both ways did it change how you take your short off when you cut your hair or let your hair grow out?
Ni, peng, nee-wom! Ecky, ecky, ecky, pakang, zoom-ping! Baa weep grahna weep ninny bong!

Comments

• TelMolagMoraTelMolagMora Alliance, OhioPosts: 516 ✭✭
    Neither. I take off my shirt like this: I grab my left sleeve and get my left arm inside the shirt, then use my left arm to hold the right sleeve while I get my other arm inside the shirt, then just push up from inside the shirt and shirt is off. No idea why I do it like that, it's just intuitive to me.
    무세이 알렉스, remember the name.
  • RialVestroRialVestro Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭

Neither. I take off my shirt like this: I grab my left sleeve and get my left arm inside the shirt, then use my left arm to hold the right sleeve while I get my other arm inside the shirt, then just push up from inside the shirt and shirt is off. No idea why I do it like that, it's just intuitive to me.

That's what I did as a kid... not to take off but because my arms got cold I would do that to pull my arms into my shirt. I suppose you could take it off that way too but the other two methods are a lot easier and faster.

Also take off the kids shirt that way just because it's actually easier and safer to take out one arm at a time than trying to just pull the whole thing over his head all at once. If he could sit up and hold his arms up then it could be lifted off all at once but if he could do that I wouldn't need to do it for him.

Ni, peng, nee-wom! Ecky, ecky, ecky, pakang, zoom-ping! Baa weep grahna weep ninny bong!
  • VioletMVioletM A hobbit hole with mezzanine in the centre of the CosmosPosts: 6
    With great difficulty at times was my immediate mental response. Has got me thinking about how I get dressed/de-dressed. WIll report back when I have made a definitive conclusion
  • AnFaAnFa Hessen, GermanyPosts: 56
    I do it the same way as TelMolagMora, I have always done it that way and for me personally it works better than any of the others. I'm female, I used to have really long hair, now I have really short hair, that never changed anything in my case.
  • NotGreenJohnNotGreenJohn Posts: 5
    I do all three, however I do the male way the most. As a child, I had long hair, but now I have short hair. So maybe I do all three because I have had different lengths?

I do all three, however I do the male way the most. As a child, I had long hair, but now I have short hair. So maybe I do all three because I have had different lengths?

So as a child when you had long hair you mostly lifted from the bottom and now with short hair you mostly pull from the top? I'm not really sure how the change in your hair changed how you did it cause you weren't really clear on that part. It almost sounded like you've always mostly done it the male way the way you worded it which would mean the hair style change had nothing to do with it. So I could use some clarification as to how you think the change in your hair has effected the change in how you take your shirt off.

• tuttitutti Posts: 17
    I have long hair and i pull it up over my head from the bottom. However, i used to have really short hair and I did the same thing. Good luck with your investigation.
    tutti said:

I have long hair and i pull it up over my head from the bottom. However, i used to have really short hair and I did the same thing. Good luck with your investigation.

Well this could disprove my theory since you did it the female way regardless of hair length. I didn't think I would ever need to ask this but are you a girl or just a non-stereotypical guy? If it's the first one then maybe there's some other reason girls tend to do it that way that I'll just never understand. If the second one then at the very lest it proves not only girls do it that way. Kinda hoping for the second one because I prefer breaking gender stereotypes over not understanding why girls do that.
  • tuttitutti Posts: 17
    @RialVestro I'm a girl, so maybe there is some connection between gender and the way people take off their shirts. I hope you find a guy that does it too soon, in the name of breaking gender stereotypes.
  • NotGreenJohnNotGreenJohn Posts: 5
    As a kid with long hair I would d it from the bottom but now with short hair I do it more from the top
    So it appears some people have changed from the female way to the male way depending on hair length. But it seems like most of the replies in here have been uneffected by it... I am... still confused.
  • AnFaAnFa Hessen, GermanyPosts: 56
    Another factor that might have influence on it is, that really tight shirts tend to be easier to take of the "female" way. And fashion-wise women tend to wear more tight shirts. So maybe that influences the habit?
    I've seen men wear tight shirts too. Mostly guys who are actually in shape and want to show off their muscles. Overweight guys like myself generally like loose fitting shirts cause at least in my case where I'm not that fat loose fitting shirts tend to make me look slimmer than I actually am.