First John Green book!

RialVestroRialVestro Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭
So confession time in case you never saw an earlier post I made... Despite being a Nerdfighter for several years now, knowing John was a published writer, I'm pretty sure I've been subscribed to the Vlogbrothers since before he published his first book... I've never actually read any of them.

I did see the two movies based on two of his books. The Fault in Our Stars which made me cry so much that I don't think I can manage to make it through the book. And Paper Towns which I actually enjoyed.

When the movie first came out in theaters the book was everywhere. Once I finally watched the movie and decided that was the book I wanted to read, I couldn't find it anywhere anymore.

Well today I went to a Barns and Noble out of town since there aren't really any local book stores... well not ones like that, there's a few little shops that sell used books but not likely to find anything in there. Anyway... I finally found a copy. They also had Looking for Alaska and the previously mentioned tear jerkier.

Another reason I wanted to get the book is from what I've heard the ending was changed for the movie version and while I generally enjoyed the movie I did not care for the way it ended. I'm kinda hoping that the book has an ending I'll actually like. I don't actually know what the difference is between the book and the movie so I'll find that out eventually. I'm going to try to read it over the next few weeks. I usually read a chapter a day, some times two or three at once if I'm really into the story. I haven't really looked to see how long it is but just from the size I'm guessing I should finish it before Halloween... which now that I think about is kind of an odd choice for a book to read just before Halloween when it's not a horror. They did have other books like It which has a new movie now but my ex is already afraid of clowns and she'd never let me bring that anywhere near her. lol

Anyway... so since I'm making this thread to talk about the first John Green book I'm starting to read I want to know...

What's the First John Green book you read?

How long did it take it from when you first found the Vlogbrothers YouTube channel to when you finally picked up one of his books? (If you don't remember exactly just use your best estimate. That's all I did cause I don't really remember exactly how long I've been a subscriber.)

And third question, just out of curiosity... has anyone found his books first and then gone to the YouTube channel from there? I'd be interested to see how many people picked up his books not knowing who he was.
Ni, peng, nee-wom! Ecky, ecky, ecky, pakang, zoom-ping! Baa weep grahna weep ninny bong!

Comments

• tuttitutti Posts: 33
    @RialVestro I hope you enjoy the book, the ending John wrote is far better in my opinion.
    I read all of John's books before I even found out he had a YouTube channel. The first one I read was The Fault In Our Stars which was recommended by a friend, and I loved it. I spent a whole day reading it from start to finish. I then read his others, but it wasn't until about a year later I discovered vlogbrothers while watching YouTube. The first one I watched was about John talking about his OCD, which caught my interest because I also have the disorder.
  • RialVestroRialVestro Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭
    tutti said:

@RialVestro I hope you enjoy the book, the ending John wrote is far better in my opinion.

I read all of John's books before I even found out he had a YouTube channel. The first one I read was The Fault In Our Stars which was recommended by a friend, and I loved it. I spent a whole day reading it from start to finish. I then read his others, but it wasn't until about a year later I discovered vlogbrothers while watching YouTube. The first one I watched was about John talking about his OCD, which caught my interest because I also have the disorder.

Wow when I asked if anyone found his books first before the YouTube channel I wasn't expecting the very first reply to be just that. I thought most people were pretty familiar with the YouTube side of things first so it's kinda surprising to get this kinda response so quickly after starting this thread.

Also regarding the book ending. I've heard that from a lot of people. That's why I picked it up.

The funny thing is there's usually this stigma that if you don't like an adaptation that it must be because you're comparing it to the source material. And some times that's true. I don't think it's always true, some times adaptations are just bad. And you know I don't have any source bias cause I didn't read the book before watching the movie. I'm not comparing it to anything, I can only see the movie for what it is, and in my opinion the ending sucked.

If anyone ever accuses you of not liking the ending just because it's different from the book feel free to quote me on that.
    Ni, peng, nee-wom! Ecky, ecky, ecky, pakang, zoom-ping! Baa weep grahna weep ninny bong!
    The little one was petting my book earlier today. I wasn't sure why at first but then after inspecting the cover I realized where the thumb tack is, it's smooth but everything else feels rough like a news paper almost. I didn't even realize that till trying to figure out why the kid was petting the cover.

Not sure about other covers cause as I recall John made a video talking about how he has no say about the covers for his books and forign versions seem to always end up with feet on them. But the English version has a smooth thumb tack in a rough paper map on it's cover. John's name is also embossed on the cover while the title is in that scratchy paper feeling texture.

Also I've read up to chapter 3 already. I've noticed some minor differences from the movie already, nothing majorly different but I feel like the book is going into more detail on certain things than the movie did which is understandable. The biggest change I think is that Margo's parents actually do things in the book that parents should do when their kid sneaks out late at night while in the movie they seemed like lazy incompetent neglectful people that just don't care when their daughter goes out in the middle of the night. She still ends up sneaking out of course but it seems like it was a lot harder in the book than in the movie. The movie made it look way too easy.
  • AnFaAnFa Hessen, GermanyPosts: 68
    edited October 4
    The first and only of John's books that I read was paper towns. I watched him on YouTube first. I read Paper Towns a few months after I started watching vlogbrothers, maybe half a year or something like that. I never watched any of the movies. I thought Paper Towns was okay, but it's not the kind of book that I usually read and I thought it was a little boring. So, it was alright, but it didn't make me feel like I have to read all of his other books now.
    by AnFa
    Just an update, I've got threw the eleven things that Margo and Quinn spend the night doing together. I don't think they ever actually did eleven things in the movie. Most of it was there but that night was kinda cut a little short.

On the plus side I don't think the movie ever changed anything just for the sake of change. It seems like they tried to stick as close to the book as possible but some scenes got cut either for time or just because they weren't really possible like I'm sure they would need permission from Sea World to even film that last part since it takes place in the park. I've never been to Florida but does the Asperigus actually exist or did John make that up for the book? It wasn't in the movie possibly because it isn't really there.

Some of those scenes I think could possibly be deleted scenes on the DVD like they were just cut for time like how exactly they got into the boardroom. They had to keep that scene because it becomes important to the story later and it's the first time the title is spoken but Gus the security guard who was a senior when they were freshman got cut out. It's not really needed but still I could imagine it was filmed but didn't make the final cut.

At any rate I'm not even done yet, barely scratched the surface, and already like the book more than the movie.
    I got up to the part where Quentin takes his door off the hinges and the next morning they drive out to the abandoned store. They haven't gone inside yet but just standing outside, the book goes into great detail all the emotions and thoughts Quentin is having at that moment. I could picture that scene from the movie but the actors really didn't do it justice.

The one bad thing about reading the book after seeing the movie. Normally I tend to have my own picture of the characters and the setting but now I'm just picturing the guys from the movie. If I had read the book first I could kinda see a little bit of myself in Quentin.
    Haven't updated in a while but I'm nearly done with the book. I've gotten threw most of the travel section.

This book is a little oddly written in that there aren't really chapters per say. It's split into three parts. The first two parts have numbers like chapters but in part two it goes back to starting from one rather than continuing to count up. In part three it goes by hours.

That being said I have three book hours left till I finish though two will probably not even take that long to read and the last hour might take longer to read than an hour. It seems to be pretty long. At any rate I think I might finish this tomorrow... or at least two out three and save the last hour for the next day while the little one is at school. That section is long enough I don't really want to attempt reading it unless I know I have some free time.
  • my first john green book was looking for Alaska i read it this summer, but i have been a nerdfighter for over a year now

my first john green book was looking for Alaska i read it this summer, but i have been a nerdfighter for over a year now

So you found the Vlogbrothers YouTube channel first and then started reading John's books?
  • KayTheSquidKayTheSquid CaliforniaPosts: 1
    (hi!) I read Looking For Alaska first, years ago, and was shortly after recommended to check out the channel. (Also, @clockworkCandles, I like your name! Supes cool.)
    I finished the book, took some time to think about the ending. It's not really better, just different. Some things were better like I'm glad Q didn't just decide to leave her because of Prom. He was thinking about collage, and getting a job, and actually having a future not about something as trivial as prom like in the movie.

On the other hand movie Margo was better because she wasn't just living inside an abandoned store, she some how actually made a life for herself working in a dinner. Not a great life mind you but better than being a dirty homeless girl living alone in an abandoned building. I could much more easily imagin movie Margo choosing to stay in New York than book Margo. Who in their right mind would ever choose to live like that. There are people that do live that way but because they have to not because they want to. Book Margo is clearly suffering from serious mental health issues.

In either version they never stay together but I think it's more realistic why they part ways in the book.

One thing book Margo did better than movie Margo is actually calling home to talk to her little sister.

I also like that they actually found Margo in Aglo instead of arriving too late and then randomly bumping into her as she gets off work at some random dinner in New York. It's a huge city and the chances of that happening the way it did in the movie is very unlikely.

One other thing I wanted to mention, the t-shirts. In the movie Ben gets the world's best grandma shirt at the same time that Radar gets stuck with the racist shirt. In the book they both got racist shirts and Radar at a different stop gets the world's best grandma shirt to replace the racist shirt. I actually preferred the movie version there, it was bad enough with the first shirt, and I much prefer Ben getting World's Best Grandma.

Also the whole thing with Radar's girlfriend and being embarrassed about his parents collection of black Santa's. That whole plot thread I think was handled better in the movie with her actually comming on the trip with them and it comming out during the trip. In the book this is brought up and then kinda brushed off quickly like there was no point to it and the girlfriend just disappears from the story shortly after being occasionally mentioned but never really having much of a presence. It's weird because nearly every other character is so much more detailed and full of emotion in the book but Radar's girlfriend is such a forgettable character compared to her counterpart in the movie who had much more character development than in the book. I actually forgot her name since it's been a few days since the last time she was even mentioned in the book.