Vidcon experiences

merksmirsmerksmirs Posts: 14

Hello everyone!

I was at Vidcon 2012 and I was just wondering who else was, what your experiences were and, if you have been to a previous Vidcon, how it was in comparison!

I'd also love to hear any and all amazing or embarassing stories because I have quite a lot of them and I don't want to feel like the only weirdo here :D

I've never had a signature so I really don't know what I want it to say....

Moist Placenta Llamas (If you get the joke we HAVE to be friends)

Comments

• TheJessicersTheJessicers Posts: 19
    I was at VidCon 2012 as well and it was freaking incredible!
    I was mad though cause I missed John and Hank's panel because I was volunteering, but I'm not next year so I'm excited to do ALL OF THE THINGS!
    Find me on Twitter and YouTube: TheJessicers
    DFTBA
  • kronosqqkronosqq Posts: 33 ✭✭
    Unfortunately I missed Vidcon 2012, but I got my ticket for Vidcon 2013 literally less than five minutes after they went on sale
    :D
    So I write with the expectation of having some awesome stories to tell next August. (Actually in the process of planning a road trip there when the time comes instead of flying, so hopefully that experience will exponentially increase the awesome)
    I have a signature now, signatures are cool.
    DFTBA
    PS. My name is Miles.
    @kronosqq Oh yes, you will have so many stories to tell after your first VidCon experience. It will exceed your expectations before it even begins (at least it did for me).
    Who are you most excited to meet there?
    DFTBA
  • I was there. It was my first time and had some travel difficulty so I was slightly overwhelmed but most things you do for the first time are overwhelming :)
  • TylerTyler Posts: 429 ✭✭✭
    I am not able to go to Vidcons and won't be for the foreseeable future for complex reasons
    I would love to hear more about it

By the way, moist placenta llamas :)
    danisnotonfire
    image       image       image       image         image       image
    Liked this comment? Think I'm worth checking out? Just want to stalk me on the internet? 
    Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Behance (for those who don't know, it's an art portfolio site)    

@TheJessicers I don't really know at this point, they'll be so many awesome people to meet, hard to narrow it down. I should probably get on that at some point though so I have at least a loose plan of what I'll try to do there. Did you do the Industry day as well as the community stuff?
    DFTBA
    PS. My name is Miles.
    @kronosqq No, I didn't do industry, but I did have friends who did and said it was awesome. I'm hoping to do Industry for 2013 but as of right now I only have community cause I don't have the money. And yes, if you don't have a plan you'll be going crazy trying to figure out what to do.
    If you actually want to just run into youtubers though, the hotel lobby is the place to be. I met so many one night just because I was hanging around there with a couple friends. It was incredible.
    DFTBA
    @TheJessicers Yeah, it sounded like it would be from what I read, I had to tap into some of the money I've saved from my Youtube ad stuff to afford it, but I figured better to do it up front and pay a bit less with the super early bird discount.
    Which of the hotels were you staying at? I saw a few different ones recommended on the site.
    DFTBA
    PS. My name is Miles.
    @kronosqq I'd recommend staying at either the Hilton or the Marriott. They're both like right beside the convention center and are literally steps away. 

Ps. For anybody who is interested, there's a page for people going to VidCon alone that was started last year. It's incredible, and I made so many friends from it. http://www.facebook.com/groups/353695638013992/ :)
    DFTBA
  • TARDISandSparklesTARDISandSparkles Posts: 59 ✭✭
    @kronosqq I think the Hilton, was much better than the Marriott. Most of the YouTubers stay there, and that's where most people just hang out in the lobby. 
  • merksmirsmerksmirs Posts: 14
    I am not able to go to Vidcons and won't be for the foreseeable future for complex reasons
    I would love to hear more about it

By the way, moist placenta llamas :)
    danisnotonfire
    You are my new favorite now. We shall be friends and you shall tell me every last one of those complicated reasons that make it impossible for you to go to Vidcon

• merksmirsmerksmirs Posts: 14
    @kronosqq I'd recommend staying at either the Hilton or the Marriott. They're both like right beside the convention center and are literally steps away. 

Ps. For anybody who is interested, there's a page for people going to VidCon alone that was started last year. It's incredible, and I made so many friends from it. http://www.facebook.com/groups/353695638013992/ :)

You're a lonewolf too? That's so awesome, I was too last year :D

I have to say that staying at the Hilton would be my top pick cause that's where almost everything happened last year.

Also I'd recommend for you to try and get there a day in advance cause then you can try and register on industry day and get a proper insight in what will happen when and start making a plan for what you want to see.

@merksmirs Cool, I'll look into that. Yeah, regardless of whether I end up getting a couple other people to commit to going and roadtrip it there, or if I don't and end up flying, I am going to get there a day in advance.
    DFTBA
    PS. My name is Miles.
  • The Hilton is the better of the two :] The youtubers all seem to stay there; thats where I was last year. If you're drinking age the bar in the lobby draws a crowd and its really easy to meet cool people/youtubers. Everything is just super fun!
    Heres a story:
    We had just gotten off the elevator on our floor and Tom Milsom ran to catch the door before it closed and almost fell over. We all laughed and said hello. Everything was fine until one of my friends had to go and say "That was awkward." rather loudly. Then Tom laughed at us. 
  • TheMeFundTheMeFund Posts: 30 ✭✭
    to answer @merksmirs ;

I've been to every VidCon since they started. I love how far it has come since that first year. Walking into the Expo hall this past year was FLOORING.

My favorite story comes from VidCon2010 I was standing in the lobby when WheezyWaiter came up and said hi to me and recognized me from a wink I had sent him the previous year. Mind you, I had about 250 subscribers at the time of the first VidCon and had ZERO expectation of anyone outside of my own friend group knowing who I was. I was just stunned.

My second favorite moment came this past year. I was the coordinator for all of the Volunteers this year which was a huge task, and probably more stressful than it should have been because I have problems delegating and asking for help from people so I tend to pile tons of stuff on myself. Well at one point prior to the Con even starting the volunteers were tasked with stuffing 7000 welcome bags with stickers and Orabrushes and all the other little goodies we were giving out. I FULLY expected this to take all of us the better part of two whole days. So I set someone to organizing and leading the team who would be stuffing all of these bags and then went off to take care of something else which I don't even remember now. When I came back a few hours later the bags were completely stuffed and the team had cleared out the room.

This task that I was sure would take us 24-36 hours had been completed in like 6 hours instead. When I walked into the cleaned room and saw the piles of fully stuffed bags in their boxes in the corner of the room I just broke down crying from relief. It was the moment that confirmed that volunteers are some of the best people in the universe! I was so thankful for their dedication and hard work that I just couldn't help but cry :)

There are hundreds, if not thousands of other examples I could give here of little moments (helping film and direct a video that would go on to help the HPA win $250K with Tom Milsom and Andrew Slack sticks out) but those two examples were the things that stuck out in my mind first.

As for the "Marriott vs Hilton" debate: I preferred the Marriott but only because I desperately needed to sleep every night and had a room to myself. The Hilton was really awesome though and if you go for industry day all of the events were in that hotel last year (Don't know the plan for this year) so that's a plus I guess.

I have to mention that neither of these hotels stacks up to the Hyatt Regency Century Plaza and its awesome elevator voice.

Lobby
    @chislerrdogg Is the bar there the kind of setting where I'd be carded at the door or the atmosphere where, being 18, being in there and not ordering alcohol would probably be cool?
    DFTBA
    PS. My name is Miles.
  • valerie2776valerie2776 Missoula, MTPosts: 264 Admin
    Would just like to say that @THEMEFUND IS MY HERO and I don't know how he managed to not die from all the running around and being awesome he did this past con. It was super super super fun volunteering and I hope I'll be able to again this year. Everyone was so nice and worked together amazingly well and the entire atmosphere was wonderful despite the stress and bouts of hecticness.

I didn't go to too much programming because of volunteer duties but my favorite panel was definitely Rhett and Link's; they filmed an episode of Good Mythical Morning live and were just as hilarious in person as they are online.

And a little thing that made me indescribably amused/happy was that Rebecca Black, the girl who did the Friday music video, and Ze Frank had signings at the same time in the expo hall and his line was like 3x longer than hers.
  • TheMeFundTheMeFund Posts: 30 ✭✭
    kronosqq said:
    @chislerrdogg Is the bar there the kind of setting where I'd be carded at the door or the atmosphere where, being 18, being in there and not ordering alcohol would probably be cool?
    The bar in the Hilton lobby is not a place you get carded at the door, only if you attempt to purchase a drink. There are other areas (like the private parties that happen at night) where you will get carded at the door.

Would just like to say that @THEMEFUND IS MY HERO and I don't know how he managed to not die from all the running around and being awesome he did this past con. It was super super super fun volunteering and I hope I'll be able to again this year. Everyone was so nice and worked together amazingly well and the entire atmosphere was wonderful despite the stress and bouts of hecticness.
    @valerie2776 daw *blushes* thanks for saying all that.
  • dyaizondyaizon Posts: 86 ✭✭
    TheMeFund said:
    kronosqq said:
    The bar in the Hilton lobby is not a place you get carded at the door, only if you attempt to purchase a drink. There are other areas (like the private parties that happen at night) where you will get carded at the door.

@valerie2776 daw *blushes* thanks for saying all that.
    From the impression I'd gathered about alcohol in the US, I was surprised I didn't get IDed at the bar (at either hotel).  The beer choice isn't great and the spirits are expensive, but it's where everyone is.

Favourite bit of Vidcon 2012:  Double Rainbow live.  It was, quite literally, 'so intense'.
  • I would have to say that one of the most memorable experiences in my life so far has been VidCon 2012 as a whole. One thing that really sticks out in my head though.... was when 'Kelly' (Liam Kyle Sullivan) sang Shoes on stage. I was in the second row standing... and.... I HAD SO MANY FEELS OH MY GOD. Shoes was one of the videos that actually got me into YouTube, and the moment that I saw 'Kelly' walk out on stage, my heart sank. Not even kidding. That was the moment that the internet really fully came to life for me. I know it sounds lame because there were SO MANY awesome things going on at VidCon, but wow, just typing this is giving me the chills..
  • AudaciousAudacious Posts: 13
    Ahh! So many good memories!
    Though one of my favorites was when Rhett and Link were doing they're live filming of Good Mythical Morning and I actually missed the last 10 minutes of it (basically the entire show) because of parents and camera and blugh, not important. But the important part was apparently they spinned the Wheel of Mythicality and it told them to end the show at the back of the room. So when I showed up again, Rhett and Link had just walked out the doors.
    I stopped in front of them just kinda like.."Wha.. you're...but...you guys...why.." and Link looked at me and said, "I think when we go back in there, they'll start clapping for the end of the show...I wonder what'd happen if you went in before us and they start clapping immediately."
    I looked at them, still flabbergasted, and Rhett motioned me to the door. So I figured I'd go for it and I opened the door and strutted in arms raised in pride, and sure enough, they started clapping automatically before realizing it wasn't Rhett and Link, but then continued clapping/laughing. They cut that part out of the video, but it's our little VidCon secret. Well, not anymore xD
  • becooleybecooley Posts: 1

If you missed getting VidCon tickets, you still have a chance to go! Subscribe to POPSUGAR's Girls' Guide YouTube Channel and tell us which YouTuber you'd love to meet and you will be entered for a chance to win a free trip to VidCon with a friend -  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1kNcMSjUOk

• HaleyHaley Posts: 8
    Let's start using this thread again to see/hear about everyone's vidcon 2013 experiences! I posted a thoughts from places video about vidcon today if you want to check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaRGj7rmars
    @Haley, I feel like I'm a bit late, but that's a good idea though! Great thoughts from places video! I took so much footage I kind of got overwhelmed by it and still haven't gotten around to making my other Vidcon videos. But I have one right now of the trip there (I ended up going by train which was pretty awesome) and then one montage video of Industry Day.
    - Travels to Vidcon
    - Scenes from Industry Day
    DFTBA
    PS. My name is Miles.