Post something good that happened to you today

Comments

• Gara_the_engineerGara_the_engineer In a log house at the edge of the forestPosts: 627 ✭✭✭
    Got a job. The kind of job I actually want, not some land-based kinda-related-but-not-really kind of technical work. This one is once again a marine engineer! :)

@romy16 Congratulations! I haven't done that yet... and it's two years since I "finished" university.
    The meaning of life is to give life a meaning
  • Gara_the_engineerGara_the_engineer In a log house at the edge of the forestPosts: 627 ✭✭✭
    Signing off. Always a good day for a seafarer. Have been away from home two weeks, but now I'll get to hug my husband again in just a few hours.
  • romy16romy16 The Netherlands Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭
    I GOT A JOB.
    but i need to move to the 'otherside of the country' for it (the Netherlands is not that big)

It's weird how nice it felt when my super-nicest (yes, that is a word, don't argue about it) co-worker said he could give me a ride from the course we're going to next week and he was probably going to continue with suggesting that I'd probably prefer going with someone else because he had some stuff to do after the end of it (as he had done moments before when talking about how I would get there in the morning) but I kind of "accidentally" interrupted him before he had said anything but his own offer and said "that'd be very nice". He sounded so very glad over my response, and that simple tone of his voice for that moment kinda made the rest of my day.

It's also weird how this super-nicest person always seem slightly surprised when someone in some way indicates how much appreciated he is (he's easily the most loved one in our department, in spite of men never using that word about other men). He just doesn't seem to understand how unprecedented he is.
  • DannoDanno IowaPosts: 105 ✭✭
    while i didn't actually get the chance to sleep in by much i did have all morning to take it easy before having to go into work
  • Lavache_BeadsmanLavache_Beadsman New YorkPosts: 661 ✭✭✭
    I got a wonderful e-mail today from a professor whom I really admire, telling me that I have a "gift" and that I'm one of the best students she's had in her 15 years of teaching... I'm still smiling.
  • booknerd86booknerd86 Posts: 8
    Hmm... My Poetry test in my English class didn't go as bad as I'd thought it would!! But I haven't gotten the results back yet *crosses fingers*.
    "We need never be hopeless because we can never be irreparably broken."
    (Looking for Alaska by John Green)
    Went to the bookstore today, mostly because I like the place, I don't really need any more books... but of course I ended up buying one anyway. The shopkeeper commented that I was the first customer today (it was around 11), and I answered that that's one of the nice things with being a seafarer: you don't have to shop when everyone else is shopping. He got curious and asked me about my job and since I like talking about my job and didn't have anything else to do at the moment, we ended up talking a long while about stuff, mainly motors, and apparently he's a member in the association for the old steam train that runs in town summertime... and I've always been curious about steam engines. Very interesting to talk to him, and now I've gotta join that association too! :)
  • Marit__JMarit__J GermanyPosts: 4
    Well the best thing about my day was probably that it was my last day of school for my entire life!
  • Lavache_BeadsmanLavache_Beadsman New YorkPosts: 661 ✭✭✭
    Technically a few days ago, and technically a long time in the making but... I RECEIVED AN OFFICIAL OFFER OF REPRESENTATION FROM A LITERARY AGENCY!

Still a long way to go before the novel they took does or doesn't get published, but still! Ahhhhh!
    i remembered my account and password... (sorry, background... my personal computer/internet are no longer friends) but here i am!

Went to the bookstore today, mostly because I like the place, I don't really need any more books... but of course I ended up buying one anyway. /blockquote>

i think a lot of us know the feeling Gara

This happened like two weeks ago but I still can't get it out of my head and I really want to write it down somewhere:
    When I signed off my ship at the end of my latest substituting there, the captain said to me that he looked forward to fighting with me again. For context, "fighting" is our main type of communication, mainly through exquisite insults. It may not sound like much, his comment, but when someone you like a lot (no, I don't mean that in a romantic way) says that he looks forward to keep doing the thing you do with them, it feels pretty important to you. What with having difficulties trusting that anybody would ever like me, I really needed that comment.
    made perfect sense to me @Gara_the_engineer of course that sounds a lot like how my brothers (and i) interact so...

in personal good thing news, i had something of an aha moment this morning.
  • THE_MONGOLSTHE_MONGOLS KING OF EVERYTHING ULANBAATARPosts: 336 ✭✭✭
    FINALLY ACHIEVED A DREAM OF MINE TODAY. I TOOK A DUMP ON A MOVING TIGER.
    NOBODY STARTS A LAND WAR IN ASIA AND WINS UNLESS YOU ARE... WAIT FOR IT... THE MONGOLS!
    WE'RE THE EXCEPTION!
    https://twitter.com/TheMongols_

• RogansRunRogansRun Posts: 16
    I saw an old couple at the park holding hands. I don't know their story but I like to imagine it's a happy one and full of love :smile:
    that's really adorable @RogansRun
  • GotRocketGotRocket Posts: 1
    My 7 yr old made a video about autism to share with his class! It's wonderful and amazing and I'm a proud father!

i'm here
  • MrsWho42MrsWho42 The great state of Denial.Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭
    This is technically for tomorrow, but I get to visit Purdue!

"To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of arts."

We have a new captain onboard, and yesterday I told him a very small but quite important piece of fact about the ship that they had missed during his familiarization peroid. He showed clear gratefulness for it, and then we moved on to other subjects. Why is it that such a small thing as him being grateful made me feel very glad for the rest of the day? And why can't I feel that my feeling is enough in itself, that it is real even though only I know about it? Why do I still, 24 hours later after a very trivial thing, feel that I /need/ to tell someone about it?
  • musickitten101musickitten101 TokyoPosts: 481 ✭✭✭
    i met buck angel and bourbonne at pride
    once again i got volunteered for something this...noon and i think it went ok
  • snowflake1814snowflake1814 Wisconsin, USAPosts: 39
    I won a $2,500 scholarship yesterday!
    Memento mori
  • AnFaAnFa Hessen, GermanyPosts: 84
    I petted one of my guinea pigs and it was sooo fluffy. :blush:
    humor
  • snowflake1814snowflake1814 Wisconsin, USAPosts: 39
    I'm having my favorite dinner tonight
    Memento mori
    got a postcard from the team at https://uplifttogether.org/
    Technically a few days ago, but I'm still frikkin' thinking of it all the time:
    Met one of my best friends recently, and while I was nervous it'd get awkward because it was several years since last time we met, it all was just wonderful. I'm so glad I finally decided that lingering remnants of social phobia and several hours of travelling wasn't really good enough reasons not to visit him, and instead just asked when it would suit him to get a visit and then booked tickets. Too much talking to fit in those few hours, but I guess that just means I'll have to visit him again soon or invite him over here.
    And on a very related note: I love the existence of trains. I'm not very fond of the trains themselves, but I love what they make possible.