What kind of learner are you?

Comments

• TheMeFundTheMeFund Posts: 30 ✭✭
    Other (please explain)
    I learn best when I am able to ask questions and be an active part of the "teaching" process. I don't do well with books, nor do I do well in settings like Crash Course/Vsauce, etc where someone is simply talking at me. I need to be a part of the process actively or I will grow bored and not retain the information as easily.

That is not to say that CC/Vsauce are boring, just that my mind wanders more when I'm not involved in the process (AKA in-class setting vs. online courses)
  • StageCraftStageCraft Posts: 76
    Auditory
    So with this (admittedly small) sample, I wonder if it says something about Crash Course or if there's a way that educational YouTube channels can be improved. Or is there something that they're doing that classrooms my not be getting right?

Video tends to stress the visual, and we seem to have more visual learners here. YouTube is a bit different however as we get a bit of mixed media (comments, discusion, Our Pants) and that seems to be reflected in the results from this poll. Thoughts?
    "Man forgets reality and remembers words.” 
    ― Roger Zelazny

International Tea-Drinkers Society ----- without the Tea it's just DFBA
  • eda1102eda1102 Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    is it okay to have no clue what kind of learner I am at 22? Because passing all the exams has so far been only pure luck, I think.  Fourth year of uni, here I come. (gods have mercy on my soul.)
     Threadkillers Union - Chief Assassin and Treasurer
  • writtenwisheswrittenwishes College Dorm RoomPosts: 3,078 ✭✭✭
    Visual
    I'm mainly a visual learner, but I also am auditory as well. It depends on what subject I'm learning and how many distractions there are in the class :D
  • runner1399runner1399 Posts: 4
    Auditory
    I learn best from good-old-fashioned taking notes in lecture. They have to be handwritten though!
  • JustinSwanJustinSwan Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
    Visual
    I learn very rapidly no matter the manner, but I tend to do a bit better with visual than auditory or kinesthetic.
    “But I will say this: When the scientists of the future show up at my house with robot eyes and they tell me to try them on, I will tell the scientists to screw off, because I do not want to see a world without him.” 
    ― John GreenThe Fault in Our Stars
  • MyrtoMyrto Posts: 131 ✭✭
    Visual
    And also kinesthetic and auditory. But mostly visual.
  • RiptiqRiptiq Posts: 6
    Auditory

Well how I learn depends upon so many things... However I am an "audio person" so I chose auditory. It´s hard to explain but I sort of can’t visualize stuff in my head it’s all just a blur, however sounds I can remember and imagine pitch perfect. Having that said, sometimes a picture can explain everything I need to know, meaning I learn a lot more efficiently. So in the case of crash course for example; I find myself having a hard time learning much from it unless I already had an idea about it before I started watching. (Meaning it’s perfect to go through right before a test on the subject!) And I think this is because of the fact that both brothers speak so quickly that I can’t keep up. Now one part of me tells me that it’s because I can’t learn stuff in that speed, it’s too quick. Then another part of me try to tell me the thing I sort of don’t want to hear; that English isn’t my first language and that not understanding when someone speaks that quickly is more than ok! I don’t know why but it’s sort of hard for me to accept that I will probably never be as good at English as someone who’s grown up with it. However I don’t seem to be the only one struggling with this, it is hard to accept and sometimes you meet or see people who think they know English perfectly, but they don’t. And that’s fine! But yea I think it’s a combination of both.

So… back to the subject! When the thought bubble part of crash course comes up I seem to be able to keep up and when it comes to learning on you tube the most effective videos for me personally is the ones with both visual and audible aid. And one more thing: I learn nothing when I’m forced to write in class. I don’t even bring a pen or anything to write on to any of my classes anymore because in terms of learning it’s the worst possible thing I could do! If there is something I forget then I ask someone else who either remembers or who did take notes, but I can never read the notes because I pretty much can’t learn from reading either. So yea this sort of became like an essay, it’s so hard to stop yourself though when you’re interested in the subject!

• LeptonMadnessLeptonMadness Posts: 30 ✭✭
    Other (please explain)
    I'm not sure how I learn. I just pick stuff up. Besides for Choreography. It takes me forever and I forget it very quickly.
    --
    DFTBA
  • AmyHAmyH Posts: 35
    Other (please explain)
    Audio Visual. Need to hear and see. I frustrated my teachers because I'd never take notes. Notes made it hard to watch the board and pay attention to what teachers were saying. So I never took notes.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws."
    - Plato (427-347 B.C.)
    "The world is changed by our maps of the world" - John Green
  • pinkybikepinkybike Posts: 25
    Kinesthetic or tactile
    Kinetic, to the point that I just have to takes notes in class and never again study the subject (and my grades are very good for someone as lazy as me)
  • missMorticiamissMorticia Posts: 49 ✭✭
    Visual
    I choose Visual because reading is a visual activity. 
    I aim to misbehave. 
  • GenvieGenvie Posts: 92 ✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Other (please explain)
    I've had extensive learning diagnostics done a bunch of times my life, most recently in '10 at 21. Throughout my life I've been labeled with various learning disorders/disabilities. I hate the term disability because I'm not disabled, I usually just learn differently than the one to three different ways that they'll explain something in school. It used to stress me out sometimes having to explain to a teacher that I didn't get something, but I was in advanced classes so I'd take the time outside of class to try to find ways to understand the material. Overall, I wouldn't really consider them to be that hindering anymore because I had wonderful parents that would take the time to explain things to me in many different ways until I understood. If I don't understand something now, I just keep trying to find different ways to understand it.

I'm one of those odd people that learn differently for each class and subject. I'm never consistently one type of learner. It really depends on the teacher and the material. Some classes I can sit there and just listen without having to write anything. Other classes I have to write down a lot of notes and color coordinated key words with highlighters. Some classes I find visual aides like power points to be annoying and distracting, and other times I love them. Is it because one class is harder or easier? Nope. Just sometimes my brain wont remember things if I try one style of learning. I've taken meticulous notes for classes that have had little to no material. Other classes I've barely written anything and there's a ton of information that you'd think that I'd get confused with.
    by Genvie
  • tortor Posts: 15
    Visual
    I'm very auditory, but ultimately I need some kind of visual reinforcer. If I don't write things down or make diagrams, I don't remember them.
  • WatersmithWatersmith Posts: 3
    Other (please explain)
    I'm a bit skeptical about the concept of people being different "types" of learners.  I have no doubt people learn differently, but I imagine it is way more complex and ever-changing than these types can accurately describe.

These classifications also strike me as being heavily involved in the type of knowledge you're trying to acquire.  For example I can't imagine trying to learn how different machines work without some visual and kinesthetic components to the experience.  Even if you're more comfortable hearing about each part and how it works and memorizing the descriptions, this seems like it would be an incomplete understanding without the visual/kinesthetic components, and I would imagine all of them together would give someone the fullest understanding.  I think different artforms obviously lend themselves to different styles of learning, and I would suspect that in sciences something like Physics would have a heavier kinesthetic component than say Chemistry.

Granted I can only speak for myself and I'd be curious to hear what other people's experiences are in this regard.

Personally I've found that making connections between different subjects and identifying different groups within a subject have been the most important factor in my ability to learn.  For example I primarily study Film, but I found by studying history along side it, I had much greater in history than I used to, and also learning about what was going on in a country during a certain period of film-making made it much easier to remember lots of information about many different films for me.

I also find that if I want to study a subject in great detail one day, it helps to start exploring it fairly randomly and haphazardly at first [So for example if I wanted to learn about a certain period of literature I would just read random books from the period with no context].  I find that when I decide to study that subject more methodically those random bits of understanding are important seeds for future connections and make reading a text about a subject much more interesting.  Suddenly these random bits of information spring forth with new ideas when I can suddenly assemble them into a context and make connections between them and what I'm reading.
  • TierneyTierney Posts: 16
    I find my learning abiIity depends heavily on how the information is presented to me. I can learn by reading or by listening, as long as the information is presented in a way that's clear to me.  I find reading better in general, because textbooks tend to be laid out more clearly than lectures.
  • Other (please explain)
    I find that I work all right in all three styles but visual works the best for me, followed by tactile and then auditory. I have a bad memory, though, so I always write things down to remember them.
  • OliverHartOliverHart Posts: 17
    I learn best by being actively engaged and through real time interaction. I don't really have any problems retaining knowledge regardless of whether I read it, hear it, see it, etc., but my biggest problem is remaining interested in something long enough to actually take away anything of worth from it. I find that being actively engaged in something really helps me maintain focus and interest better than anything else.
  • MortbaneMortbane Posts: 126 ✭✭✭
    Other (please explain)

I'm some combination.  It requires all 3 things for the best results.  I have to be able to hear what I'm trying to learn rather than read it, and I have to be drawing something as I listen which requires visual and tactile.  Just seeing pictures isn't enough, but I don't necessarily have to be drawing anything related to the lesson.  As long as I'm putting images on paper, I'm making easy connections to all the things that I'm hearing.  Sort of like when I leave a movie playing while I make big abstract sketches; that may look like some wavy lines and this other part might somewhat resemble eyes, but I can tell you exactly what was happening in the story while I was drawing them.

Of note, I have synaesthesia and have serious problems with focus while reading.  I prefer nonfiction, because I'm too easily distracted when reading fiction.  If I want to read fiction, I pretty much have to lock myself away from the world and tackle it in one sitting or I'll be on to some other project and never pick up the book again.  I had to do just about every book assignment that way in school.

• YaYazooGirlYaYazooGirl Posts: 29
    edited December 2012
    Visual
    For me, I need to draw out the thing I'm learning, it could be a doodle to do with the topic (e.g for science I may draw white blood cells englufing a pathogen and that drawing will stick in my mind.) or a mind map (e.g i would do a mind map for my english annotations with the poem's name and the connecting themes to memorise it) and for history, I would normally condense the key facts into one words that spark my memory to remember the other surrounding facts. I'm also an auditory learner as I make songs from the facts (for history and maths)
    by YaYazooGirl
    The Secret British Non-Tea Drinking Society -All the awesome, none of the tea!

• SCTSBLUSCTSBLU Posts: 20
    Other (please explain)

I'm visual

but i have been forced to be auditory because I ccan't see what my teacher writes/draws on the board or has on the projecter.

yeah...visual impairement problems :)

So Close To Something Better Left Unknown x3

Made Of Awesome since 1996

DFTBA!

• TenerisTeneris Posts: 4
    Kinesthetic or tactile
    If Kinesthetic/Tactile is the option for actual interaction with the material I'm learning, that's definitely me. I'm also reasonably good with visual and auditory, but not as good as if I was learning from doing.
  • dancingdumbledoredancingdumbledore Posts: 3
    edited February 2013
    Other (please explain)
    A mix between visual and auditory. But I have problems understanding the quotes in CC. My brain just turn off when I have to read the quote meanwhile some of the words are being underlined.
    by dancingdumbledore
  • MonaMona Posts: 38 ✭✭
    Other (please explain)
    I do best if I have printed material, because I underline words and take notes. That being said, I learn a lot from videos too, if they're not very long.
    "Nothing happens unless first a dream" - Carl Sandburg

Goodreads Profile
  • ZoggFromBetelgeuseZoggFromBetelgeuse Posts: 59 ✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Other (please explain)
    I best learn through AFT (Antarian Feedback Telepathy). I also tried Centauri brain worms and Andromeda learning pills, but they don't really work on my Betelgeusian triple brain.
    by ZoggFromBetelgeuse
  • PilcrowPilcrow Posts: 1
    Auditory
    I'm definitely an auditory learner. Can't remember anything I'm taught unless someone actually talks about it. 
  • Henry_cliffordHenry_clifford Posts: 5
    Other (please explain)
    I would say all of them, but only if it is done well or I'm super interested for example I will read a Phd study on Black holes and bash my head against a wall until I understand it but if you gave me a document on.... No I'm just omni-interested, I will die very tired me thinks
  • WilliamJBowlesWilliamJBowles Posts: 28
    Other (please explain)
    I said Other because for me, whatever the format, I am better at learning when the lesson is provided in a way that makes it more fun or interesting. I know that sounds kind of cliche, but it's true. My American History teacher always make jokes and taught in a fun (yet professional) manner, and those jokes and anecdotes are what I memorized most easily.
    I also play Civilization V and Medieval II Total War-- both historically themed games which, while insufficient to replace a proper education, taught me more history (and even geography in the case of Medieval) that I actually memorized and retained than perhaps all of my pre-college education. Or at least in terms of things that aren't simply common knowledge. It didn't take Civ III to teach me that France is a country, for instance).
  • megbuelowmegbuelow Posts: 2
    edited May 2013
    Auditory
    I am an audio learner, but that is closely followed by kinetic, because I also learn by doing things myself. I put audio because when I study for exams I have to remember what was said by the professor about the topic to restart my memory. I think that audio should be changed to audio/verbal because a lot of audio learners also do best when they are able to have discussion about the topic and learn through saying things out loud. 
    by megbuelow
  • goldeneaglegoldeneagle Posts: 350 ✭✭
    Other (please explain)
    I tend to learn best by reading, though I can usually absorb at least some information through other means.