Cricket

RowenaarrrRowenaarrr Posts: 54 ✭✭
Any other cricket fans around? England v India test series just started today, it's good to have it back :)

Comments

• ElroElro Posts: 100 ✭✭
    I'm a cricket fan, I don't really have the time to watch many test matches these days but I still really enjoy watching T20 and ODIs every once in a while.
  • turdl38turdl38 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    It's on my bucket list to watch and actually understand a cricket game, if that counts.  I saw it played a little in New Zealand when I went in high school, but was more interested in rugby and could only half learn one sport, let alone completely learn two! If one of you lovely people could explain it to me, I would really appreciate it.  And I'd give you a virtual hug or something.
    Difficult does not mean impossible.  Very little is impossible if you want it badly enough.
    Even if anybody has a suggestion of a website or something to help me understand, i'd love that!
    Difficult does not mean impossible.  Very little is impossible if you want it badly enough.
  • RowenaarrrRowenaarrr Posts: 54 ✭✭
    There's this that has a fairly simple explanation or a more tl;dr thing on Cricinfo, I hope both can help! I'm not a great person to explain things but I can always try if you have a question :D
    Thanks for trying!!  I'm going to read it in a minute here.  Somehow, I missed it for a few weeks.
    One question--can a wicket be knocked over by anything but the ball?
  • RolloRollo Operative 6081, MiniTrue Airstrip Three, OceaniaPosts: 1,900 ✭✭✭

A batsman may be given out "Hit wicket" if their bat, or any part of their equipment hits the stumps. This includes falling over and hitting them, the bat disintegrating and hitting the stumps and if their gloves, helmet or cap hits the stumps. There have been examples in first-class cricket of all of these instances occurring.

"I speak an infinite deal of nothing and I am not bound to please thee with my answers."

I've written four books - you might like to buy them: Linky - Doobly Doo
    @Rollo, It only gets the batter/batsman out if HE accidentally knocks it over, though, right?  If a wicketkeeper is going to knock a wicket, he has to use the ball, correct?  
    Sorry, ignorant to the sport here, but trying to learn!
    Yes, if the wicketkeeper is going to put down the wicket he does need the ball and the batsman needs to be out of his ground.

There are two ways to do this:
    1. Run Out - If the batsman has attempted a run and hasn't made his ground.
    2. Stumped - If a delivery passes the batsman and the keeper is able to put down the wicket, and the batsman is standing out of his ground.

Run Out:
    Stumped:

All the laws can be found here:

Oh yes, on the line in cricket isn't good enough. Some part of the batsman must be over the line.
    "I speak an infinite deal of nothing and I am not bound to please thee with my answers."

So, if the batter's not in his batter's box or zone or whatever it's called, as in when the two batsmen are switching, the keeper or a fielder who has the ball can run and knock a wicket, yeah?  Can that fielder knock it with his/her hands or kick it over or whatever or do they have to like...throw the ball at it?
    edited November 2013
    http://www.lords.org/mcc/laws-of-cricket/laws/law-28-the-wicket-is-down/
    1. Wicket put down
    (a) The wicket is put down if a bail is completely removed from the top of the stumps, or a stump is struck out of the ground,
    (i) by the ball,
    or (ii) by the striker’s bat if he is holding it or by any part of his bat that he is holding

Run Out Example:

Run outs and stumpings are done by throwing the ball at the stumps (either end). The ball can be used to flick the bails off too (keeper's gloves are included as the ball, provided the ball is in them).
    by Rollo

• bluesapphire2000bluesapphire2000 IndiaPosts: 150 ✭✭
    Here in India, every second person is crazy about cricket! So even though I'm not a cricket buff, I do enjoy it once in a while. 
    Today's Sachin Tendulkar's last test by the way!
  • VilleMike88VilleMike88 Posts: 5
    To see someone who exemplifies "How to Bat Properly", DEFINITELY look up video of Sachin Tendulkar.  It's been a day since he played for the last time, but it's going to be a different world without him playing.
    If you couldn't tell, I'm a Spider-Man fan.
    edited November 2013
    If Matt Prior's calf injury still plays up later in the week then Jonny Bairstow will be playing for the forces of light and purity that is England against the convicts.

He is always getting in the Aussies hair...
    by Rollo

I'm starting to understand.  I think I understand as well as curling, but not as well as rugby.  It's a start!
    Oh England what hast thou done?

After Australia posted a score of 295 which looked a little underdone, England have slumped to being all out in reply for 136. That's a paltry result and unless they're able to bowl Australia out for an exceptionally small score, their best hope is to play for a draw I think.

This is depressing, two days left to bat out, already two down. Like being a fan 10-odd years ago again :(
    England are chasing a record fourth innings total; so they won't get there.

What I'd like to see is on Monday afternoon, England on 19-4. Yeah, two days of boring boring boring batting.

Oh cook a cat!
    Australia have declared on 570-9 on Day 2 at the Adelaide Oval... England have already gone a wicket down and require a quiet fortune to avoid the follow-on.

Mercy me, this is like watching cricket in the 1990s all over again.

Some of those shots in the second innings were brainless. Expect better from Cook in particular.
    So far in the morning session at the WACKY, Rogers has fallen to a comedy run-out by Anderson, Shane Watson didn't do his homework and holed out to Swann, Clarke was caught by Captain Cook and Dave Warner has been bashing like a mad thing.

107/3 after 24 overs. At this rate the Aussies will be out for about 250 odd hopefully. Hopefully...

Australia 385 & 369/6declared have defeated England 251 & 353. That's 3-0 in the series and Australia have regained the Ashes... boo.

• VilleMike88VilleMike88 Posts: 5
    Make it 4-0.
    AUS:
    231/2
    defeat
    ENG:
    Australia win by 8 wickets.
    (Ugh...)  As long as 5-0 doesn't happen.
    If you couldn't tell, I'm a Spider-Man fan.
    (Ugh...)  As long as 5-0 doesn't happen.
    Five-nil did happen. I wrote a thing about it: http://rollo75.blogspot.com.au/2014/01/horse-1587-ashes-five-nil-whitewash.html

I enjoyed it when Johnson slowly counted out 5 on his fingers to the Barmy Army. And the Barmy Army's reply? "We're PIZZZAA and we know we are" to the tune of Go West. 
    Therein lies the difference between Barmy Army and Australian fans. The Barmy Army will still support England when they're rubbish; yet even when Australia were on the verge of beating Sri Lanka 3-0 just a year before, Day 4 of the Sydney Test was practically empty.

Melbournians don't really know how to sing and the people of Sydney are fairweather fans, They'll gladly jump on the bandwagon when it's fashionable but jump off when the wind changes.

It got worse. 
    Australia beat England 4-1 in the ODIs and then 3-0 in the T20s.

Alas the summer of our discontent... in American parlance, England went this season 1-12 - it's probably the Annus Horribilis.