Crash Course Subtitle Translations

larklark Posts: 83
edited May 2013 in Crash Course
EDITED (for up to date info in the first post. The rambling over the next pages is us trying to get organized back when we started out):

We're a bunch of people from all over the world who're trying to make the Crash Course videos available to more people by translating the subtitles into other languages. We currently have active teams for Danish, Finnish, French, German, Hebrew, Spanish and Portuguese, as well as single volunteers for several other languages. Anyone who speaks any language besides English at a native or near-native level is welcome to translate and/or proofread, you don't need any experience :). If you're interested please sign up at http://dft.ba/-translationsignup, if you have any questions either ask here, or email me at crashcoursetranslation@gmail.com.
by lark

Comments

• valerie2776valerie2776 Missoula, MTPosts: 264 Admin
    There is, or at least used to be, some kind of project in the works to make it easier for nerdfighters to transcribe/translate subtitles and for them to be uploaded to their respective videos. It hasn't come to fruition yet, obviously, but in the mean time there is http://nerdfighteria.info/, though it's become kind of spam riddled and in a slight state of disrepair recently. There are lots of videos that have been transcribed and translated there, though. Hopefully in the future there will be a way for anyone to do this simply.
  • edwardedward Posts: 108 ✭✭
    lark said:
    Would anyone be interested in adding translated subtitles to the CC videos? I just think the material is pretty fab and should be available to more people. Obviously it'd be quite a bit of work (and we'd need Hank & John's approval), but would anyone be up for it?
    Thanks for giving me another way to procrastinate from lesson planning - I'm definitely going to be doing some French translation now :) I seem to recall John saying on his Twitter that anyone was welcome to create subtitles for different languages, but obviously (a) they'd all have to be peer-reviewed first, and (b) there isn't a simple system, as yet, for sending them in.
  • larklark Posts: 83
    edward said:
    Thanks for giving me another way to procrastinate from lesson planning - I'm definitely going to be doing some French translation now :) I seem to recall John saying on his Twitter that anyone was welcome to create subtitles for different languages, but obviously (a) they'd all have to be peer-reviewed first, and (b) there isn't a simple system, as yet, for sending them in.
    I think unless Amara or a similar project gives us a very good deal, it'd be easiest to run it through a small group of project managers, who'd make sure everything is peer-reviewed/of sufficient quality and could send them in to Hank and John. I'd be very willing to invest some time (aspiring translator, so doing this to get some experience as well as for the fun of it :) ). But before I spend a few days researching the best options I'd like to know there are enough people interested to make this work (so, well, two for each language at least, ideally including a native speaker & an expert in the subject matter).
  • edwardedward Posts: 108 ✭✭
    edited November 2012
    lark said:
    I think unless Amara or a similar project gives us a very good deal, it'd be easiest to run it through a small group of project managers, who'd make sure everything is peer-reviewed/of sufficient quality and could send them in to Hank and John. I'd be very willing to invest some time (aspiring translator, so doing this to get some experience as well as for the fun of it :) ). But before I spend a few days researching the best options I'd like to know there are enough people interested to make this work (so, well, two for each language at least, ideally including a native speaker & an expert in the subject matter).
    I'd be interested, possibly translating into French and Spanish. I have to say, though, that my first language is English, so anything I come up with would probably have to be completely rewritten lightly modified by some native speakers first.
    by edward
    Hm, dotsub.com might be an option (TED used to use them, and their system was pretty good), but I fail at copyright legalese xD.
    Yeah, we'd definitely need a native speaker on every team. No matter how good your second language is, you still slip up from time to time. And, you know, someone who knows something about the subject. 'Cause German might be my native language, but I'd still be no good at translating/proofing most of Hank's video.
  • I would be interested in this as well! English is my native language but I'm getting a master's in Spanish (focused in translation!) so I'm definitely up for it. I would agree with the native speaker thing though- I may be getting a master's in Spanish but my Spanish is certainly not perfect!
  • FernandaFernanda Posts: 1
    I love this idea. Just now I was watching the last CC world history video. It's great! I really would like to participate in this proyect. My native language is Spanish (I'm from Venezuela) and I'm working on my thesis to get a degree on translation. Although, because I'm working on that right now, I might not have a lot of time to translate, but I think I could proofread your translations.
  • ThisIsLissThisIsLiss Posts: 23
    Like Fernanda I am doing a degree right now so I'd be more up for proof-reading than actual translating:

• but I am both French and English and my school time education involved 14 years in a completely French school (and my Mum is very, VERY French) so I think my French is up to scratch ;P
    • In my gap year I worked for 6 months as a Translator so I have experience in the business :)

French The Llama! 

This Is Liss!

DFTBA
    Don't worry about not having much time. :)

Before everyone else gets scared away - you don't have to study translation/have any experience to join.
  • FranciscoJxLFranciscoJxL Posts: 12
    I really want to help. I don't have any kind of degree (I'm still a Senior in highschool), but I'd like to help in any way I can. I doubt I'll be free until mid December, but after that, I'm out of highschool. I know it doesn't seem like I'd know a lot, but I'd try my best! ^-^ My native language is Spanish (I'm from Panama) and I'd gladly help with any need or doubt. :D
  • mikiczmikicz Posts: 88
    Hi, Czech Nerdfighters are already doing it! We're translating CC History. Several subtitles are already up in Crash Course episodes and we've got about 5 uncorrected translations more. I've actually programmed myself and my team a web service for translating YouTube Subtitles, so that would be available for your translations as well. (Currently in beta, i'm rewriting the whole thing to make it better.)
  • Gabryela09Gabryela09 Posts: 22
    I would really love to help here!! I'm Spanish native speaker, i don't have any experience translating videos but there's always a first right?
    I'm from Mexico but live in Spain and willing to help
  • SmurfieSmurfie Posts: 29
    I can help with the Science Crash Course videos if needed. I am a native French speaker from Québec and would be glad to pitch in for the translation of some of the videos in French.
  • AmaiaAmaia Posts: 23
    I'd love to help with this. My native languages are Spanish (from Spain) and Basque.
  • LeilaWLeilaW Posts: 8
    Native dutch speaker. And i'd love to help!
  • melsk125melsk125 Posts: 11
    I'm a native Thai speaker. I'd love to help! :D
  • magicaemagicae Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited November 2012
    I'm a native Swedish speaker, and though I don't study translation, it interests me!
    by magicae
    @mikicz how do you guys organize the whole thing? and how does your does your web service thingy work? Did you just contact the crash course guys and asked if they'd add them, or how did you go about that?

Everyone else: don't worry about not having experience! We'll let you know about the basics and such :)
    Most of the work is done through the website.
    You import some english subtitles from youtube and create an translation in some language. Than anybody registered can start working on translation. When you're done, you can export the subtitles in srt format.

Our team has this process
    1) Translation
    2) First correction (on the web)
    3) Exporting and re-timing in external program
    4) Second correction in external program as well
    5) Sending to Stan (producer of CC History)

How I've contacted CC. I spamed all of their accounts for a bit on twitter and eventually Stan sent me his email, to send the subtitles.
    He probably wouldn't be happy, about me putting it here, but if anybody of you showed me completed translation, I would PM you the address.

But I'm working on a new version of the web with better system, but god knows when it's gonna be done. (My graphics guy is stalling :D
    Also, Slovak friend of mine is doing Slovak translation :)
  • ve2dmnve2dmn Posts: 83 ✭✭
    I could help with French (I'm from Montreal.) I also know a professional English-French translator and I could pay her for proofreading my scripts. (Quality work is not free)

If are going to be really serious about this, we need:

1. English scripts with time-stamp. (Help from the Crash Course staff is required here)
    2. Some place to coordinate our efforts. http://nerdfighteria.info/ is a good start, but it need more love if we are going to actively use it. It doesn't have to be there, but it would be better if we all choose a single place (We could also work with Google Docs for example)
    3. Someone to coordinate the efforts. We can split the work into groups (One for each language) but we need someone else to coordinate all the languages (Either an admin, or someone from the staff at Crash Course )
    4. More than 1 person per language ideally. Even if you don't have a lot of time, proofreading would be very useful. (For languages with more than 3 person, the text could be split into several parts.)
    Anyone from the Crash Course staff listening?  

Truth resists simplicity.” ― John Green.
    If you have the right people and little bit of time, you can get quality work for free. For example, spell and meaning check for Czech translation is doing a Czech major, who has excellent Czech :)
    1. CC History has english subtitles on Youtube, downloadable
    2. My offer for usage of my web stands (of course, it may not be the best choice, but it was made for this things specifically.)
    3. The new version of my web has features for this specific type of things, but as I said, god knows when I'm gonna be able to finish it.

I've got Stans Email, I can ask him for help/advice/anything, he's very nice :)

• LaraBrillLaraBrill Posts: 9
    Hi everyone! I'm a native Portuguese speaker and I'd love to help in this as well, as there are no Portuguese translators so far!
  • strandcorestrandcore Posts: 242 ✭✭
    I can help with Hebrew translation, I am a native Hebrew speaker. :) 
    :)
    ve2dmn said:
    I could help with French (I'm from Montreal.) I also know a professional English-French translator and I could pay her for proofreading my scripts. (Quality work is not free)

If are going to be really serious about this, we need:

1. English scripts with time-stamp. (Help from the Crash Course staff is required here)
    2. Some place to coordinate our efforts. http://nerdfighteria.info/ is a good start, but it need more love if we are going to actively use it. It doesn't have to be there, but it would be better if we all choose a single place (We could also work with Google Docs for example)
    3. Someone to coordinate the efforts. We can split the work into groups (One for each language) but we need someone else to coordinate all the languages (Either an admin, or someone from the staff at Crash Course )
    4. More than 1 person per language ideally. Even if you don't have a lot of time, proofreading would be very useful. (For languages with more than 3 person, the text could be split into several parts.)
    Anyone from the Crash Course staff listening?  

1. As mikicz said, the scripts aren't a problem, the transcriptions are on youtube
    2. Agreed. I don't think nerdfighteria.info is the right platform though. A subtitle translation platform would be best, so we'd probably best check what the Czechy are up to, and if that, for some reason, doesn't work out for us, ask the CC team if we can use dotsub.
    3. Agreed :) (and volunteering for boring admin work)
    4. I think we all agree more than one person is absolutely essential (and at least one native speaker in every team). I think we can crowdsource this, but we absolutely need some level of quality control. TED used a fairly simple two person system to crowdsource its translated subtitles (one translator, one proofreader), the system wasn't flawless, but probably something we could build on (enable communication between the two etc, maybe let the whole team proof). I wouldn't split texts though (usually doesn't make for good translations).
  • ErikaErika Posts: 125 ✭✭
    On the Brazilian Nerdfighters facebook page we have tried for a long time to get something like this going. There were a lot o people that wanted to translate the videos to Portuguese so they could be shown to teachers and maybe even used in class. I'm going to link the people interested here, so they can help =)
    Nerdfighter Erika from Brazil
  • LaraBrillLaraBrill Posts: 9
    Ah, I forgot to mention that I'm fluent in European Portuguese, not Brazilian Portuguese. Perhaps we could do both, since there's a lot of Portuguese people that would prefer a European version?
  • ErikaErika Posts: 125 ✭✭
    Sure, @LaraBrill! I guess that is better =)
    Nerdfighter Erika from Brazil
    edited November 2012
    Argh, apparently I can't edit the original post. If no-one has anything against me doing the initial organizing, could you please all send an email with the following information to crashcoursetranslation@gmail.com? It'd make it a lot easier to keep track of things :)

Language:
    Proficiency: (native/near-native/grammar nerd/etc.)
    Subject: Would you prefer to work on World History or Science?
    Expertise: Are you an expert in one of the topics (both already published & upcoming)?
    Experience: Any translation, proofreading or subtitling experience?
    Translate or Proofread (or both) (please don't sign up for proofreading unless you're a native speaker or speak on a native level with flawless grammar)
    English support team y/n (English native/near-native speaker? Can you help out translators who have trouble understanding the source material?)
    Skype name: (to communicate with your teammates)
    Email:
    (same. please don't write "this one", I'm lazy and would like to be able to c&p this info ;) )
    by lark
  • 0Martina00Martina0 Posts: 88 ✭✭
    Hello everyone!

I just wanted to add that if you're a native English speaker and don't speak any other language (fluently), you still can help - I'm not sure about others, but when translating Crash Course: World History, I sometimes don't quite get what John wanted to say or it takes me a long time to figure out. It would be awesome to have the opportunity to talk to someone who could explain it to me! :)