Crash Course Subtitle Translations

Comments

• VerenaVerena Posts: 5
    I'm one of those people @Erika mentioned up there! I'm a native Brazilian, fluent in english, and I don't know if it will help, but I also have an english language proficiency diploma. And I would absolutely love to help translating CC to Brazilian Portuguese! :) 
    Bravery is not strength in the face of a far lesser foe, bravery is the exact opposite of that.
  • KarlKarl Posts: 1
    I would like to help translating it to Portuguese (Br) too. Already sent my email to lark.
  • larklark Posts: 83
    0Martina0 said:
    Hello everyone!

I just wanted to add that if you're a native English speaker and don't speak any other language (fluently), you still can help - I'm not sure about others, but when translating Crash Course: World History, I sometimes don't quite get what John wanted to say or it takes me a long time to figure out. It would be awesome to have the opportunity to talk to someone who could explain it to me! :)
    Great idea! We could just set up an email pool of native speakers? Or set up a wee bitty forum for those questions?
  • FranciscoJxLFranciscoJxL Posts: 12
    I agree with @0Martina0. While we may be fluent in English, doesn't mean we understand it at it's fullest, especialy in a topic in which we are not necessarily developed.
  • mikiczmikicz Posts: 88
    edited November 2012
    Oh, look, @0Martina0, the most valuable translator of our team!
    I've made a short introduction to the site, we're using. It's not perfect and there are some bugs, but none are critical.
    As I said, I'm working on a new version of the web, with better managing. The new version is based on so-called project. In those projects, there are specific user roles (manager, translator, corrector, timer). Only the users in the project can edit the translation.

So, here it is: http://substube.mikicz.net/introductiontoCCtranslation.php
    by mikicz
    Also, native English speakers could transcribe untranscribed videos and make timed subtitles.
  • magicaemagicae Posts: 24 ✭✭
    @mikicz: That is fantastic
  • ve2dmnve2dmn Posts: 83 ✭✭
    mikicz said:
    I've made a short introduction to the site, we're using. It's not perfect and there are some bugs, but none are critical.
    As I said, I'm working on a new version of the web, with better managing. The new version is based on so-called project. In those projects, there are specific user roles (manager, translator, corrector, timer). Only the users in the project can edit the translation.

It's a really good start. Thanks @mikicz !
    Truth resists simplicity.” ― John Green.
  • LaraBrillLaraBrill Posts: 9
    edited November 2012
    When I go on "Import", I only see Italian or English? How do I make another language show up on there? 

(in regards to the very first World History video, that is)
    by LaraBrill
  • FranciscoJxLFranciscoJxL Posts: 12
    I have a question regarding dialects, more specifically, Spanish dialects, considering there are many of us in different countries.
    So, how are we going to agree on using a "standard" dialect on the traslations, considering words may be foreing for some of the viewers/translators?
    ikicz said:

Awesome. Is there some way to split subtitles? They come in fairly large chunks with a lot of breaks in the middle of sentences (I'm afraid with long German words the subtitles will just whoosh past too fast for anyone to read them if they aren't well-structured) xD.
    And I'm hope you're not offended that I ask, 'cause I can see you've put a lot of work into this, but did you ask the CC team about using an existing platform like dotsub? ('cause it's free and seems to be able to do most of the stuff you/we are looking for)
    @LaraBrill: I didn't allow to be more subtitles to one video in one language - it would create a few system problems and it would be pointless. So the fact, that there are just these languages means, that there are already existing translations in those languages.
    edited November 2012
    @lark: Thanks! Unfortunately not in this version, no. Thats the reason, why we re-time the subtitles in external program before we send it in. I'm planning this feature into the new version.
    Honestly, I didn't know about dotsub. I've found some similar sites, but I didn't like them very much, so I chose to program my own thing.

Edit: Also, I was bored and didn't have anything to program :)
    by mikicz
    mikicz said:
    @lark: Thanks! Unfortunately not in this version, no. Thats the reason, why we re-time the subtitles in external program before we send it in. I'm planning this feature into the new version.
    Honestly, I didn't know about dotsub. I've found some similar sites, but I didn't like them very much, so I chose to program my own thing.

Edit: Also, I was bored and didn't have anything to program :)
    xD I know the being bored "problem". Would you be terribly offended if we considered using dotsub 'till you have the new version up and running? We just seem to have very few people who have any experience translating videos, and their website might make things a bit easier for them (and to organize and such).
    Absolutely no problem, after I visited DotSub, I kind of see your point :D
    btw, @LaraBrill already translated 40% of the second episode :)
    mikicz said:
    Hahah, I feel watched! But yes, I'll finish it tonight, definitely. I was unaware that the first video already had a Portuguese translation though, I have to check that :O Also, if we end up changing to another website, what do I do with what I've got? (:
    LaraBrill said:
    mikicz said:
    Hahah, I feel watched! But yes, I'll finish it tonight, definitely. I was unaware that the first video already had a Portuguese translation though, I have to check that :O Also, if we end up changing to another website, what do I do with what I've got? (:
    You could export & import quite easily, I think :). But nothing's decided yet, and we'd need CC's permission to upload their stuff to dotsub anyway, so that'd probably take a little time.
    Google Analytics, FTW :D
    I was wondering why you started second episode first :D
    It depends if the other site can import subtitles. Then you would just export it and import it to the other site and everything's ok. If not, you would probably have to finish it on my website.

Almost!
  • ThamiresThamires Posts: 29
    I would love to help with the Portuguese (br) translation too! :)
  • I have a question regarding dialects, more specifically, Spanish dialects, considering there are many of us in different countries.
    So, how are we going to agree on using a "standard" dialect on the traslations, considering words may be foreing for some of the viewers/translators?
    That is an excellent question...I was wondering that myself. Perhaps that could be something the proofreaders could help with, particularly with Spanish since like you said, there are so many dialects. The proofreaders could help make sure there aren't any words or phrases that wouldn't be understood (or might be offensive!) outside of certain countries.
    edited November 2012
    mikicz said:
    Google Analytics, FTW :D
    I was wondering why you started second episode first :D
    It depends if the other site can import subtitles. Then you would just export it and import it to the other site and everything's ok. If not, you would probably have to finish it on my website.

Alrighty! And just checked, Portuguese isn't available as an option on the first video, just English and Czech. o_O I wonder why I can't translate it into Portuguese then
    by LaraBrill
    Well thats weird, I can see the Portugese translation for ep #1 - http://awesomescreenshot.com/098lz8ia9
    Try reloading the page using Ctrl + F5. If you still can't see it, go to http://substube.mikicz.net/translate.php?sid=37&from=1
    edited November 2012
    mikicz said:
    Well thats weird, I can see the Portugese translation for ep #1 - http://awesomescreenshot.com/098lz8ia9
    Try reloading the page using Ctrl + F5. If you still can't see it, go to http://substube.mikicz.net/translate.php?sid=37&from=1
    I'll use your link! Thank you very much, Mikicz (:  
    I wonder, as an admin, can you remove subtitles if they're proven to be bad? even after being deemed as completed? it'd be good to be able to change something if needed and not just stick to that version. I ended up finishing #2, reviewing it and marking it as completed and failed to notice I had a single letter missing >_< 
    by LaraBrill
    @LaraBrill: Sure, I'm counting on it in the new version, but for now, I've changed it in the database, so you can edit the subtitles now :)
  • infiniteboxinfinitebox Posts: 282 ✭✭
    I'm English, with a medium level of French, and I'm happy to help out in any capacity that I can, although I'm aware that there might not be any.
  • wessellswessells Posts: 69
    I would love to do a few world history videos. I already sent the mail and I will wait for someone to say what I need to do. I don't want people to translate the same video twice. I'll just let it be organized by others :)
  • @lark As regards the transcriptions being on youtube, I just checked to see how accurate they are- if you're referring to the English subtitles already on there, the one on John's first video is mostly accurate but there are a few bits that are just not subtitled at all, like his comments on how awful the cheeseburger is and the secret compartment bit, which granted aren't necessary educational information, but if we're going to subtitle this I feel like we should subtitle it all! :) Plus there was one bit where three screens of captions all showed up one right after the other and were impossible to read so the timing was a bit off. Also as far as I can tell, Hank's videos don't have a transcript/English subtitles, at least the first two don't. And the automatic Youtube captions are laughably inaccurate. What does everyone think? How shall we go about either somehow obtaining the actual transcripts if they exist for Hank's videos and the missing bits of John's videos or transcribing them ourselves? Could be a way for English speakers who do not speak a foreign language to help out.

I'm English, with a medium level of French, and I'm happy to help out in any capacity that I can, although I'm aware that there might not be any.
    If you don't think your French is good enough you could just join the language assistance team (to help out the translators when they have trouble understanding what John & Hank are saying). Just send me a mail (crashcoursetranslation@gmail.com) :)
    @lark As regards the transcriptions being on youtube, I just checked to see how accurate they are- if you're referring to the English subtitles already on there, the one on John's first video is mostly accurate but there are a few bits that are just not subtitled at all, like his comments on how awful the cheeseburger is and the secret compartment bit, which granted aren't necessary educational information, but if we're going to subtitle this I feel like we should subtitle it all! :) Plus there was one bit where three screens of captions all showed up one right after the other and were impossible to read so the timing was a bit off. Also as far as I can tell, Hank's videos don't have a transcript/English subtitles, at least the first two don't. And the automatic Youtube captions are laughably inaccurate. What does everyone think? How shall we go about either somehow obtaining the actual transcripts if they exist for Hank's videos and the missing bits of John's videos or transcribing them ourselves? Could be a way for English speakers who do not speak a foreign language to help out.
    Oh, I hadn't noticed that (I just checked the most recent History videos, and they seem to be transcribed quite well).
    I'm sure Hank uses a script, so if the CC crew is really nice to us, maybe they could send us copies (I'll have to write them a mail anyway, so I'll include that). They'd still need to be timed etc., so yes, definitely something English native speakers could help out with.