Crash Course Subtitle Translations

13

Comments

  • larklark Posts: 83
    Hey guys,

    I'm collecting your mails, don't worry if I don't answer immediately. Just waiting for a few more people to sign up. I currently have four people for Brazilian Portuguese, three for Spanish, and one each for a few other languages.

    At the moment I'd prefer using dotsub, until the new version of mikicz project is up and running. We could easily migrate works in progress over to dotsub quite easily. They offer a few features that would be quite useful (allowing translators to split and time translations while translating, better overview/control over who's translating what etc.). But if anyone disagrees let me know :)

    I'd like to put together some info and a few links for newbie translators/subtitlers. So if any of you have done that sort of thing before and know of good intro-style resources (or have a few tips) let me know (here or via email).

    Does anyone have any idea how to best organize the English assistance team? Maybe a skype group chat for might work? Or a mailing list? Google Groups?
    image
  • mikiczmikicz Posts: 88
    @lark As regards the transcriptions being on youtube, I just checked to see how accurate they are- if you're referring to the English subtitles already on there, the one on John's first video is mostly accurate but there are a few bits that are just not subtitled at all, like his comments on how awful the cheeseburger is and the secret compartment bit, which granted aren't necessary educational information, but if we're going to subtitle this I feel like we should subtitle it all! :) Plus there was one bit where three screens of captions all showed up one right after the other and were impossible to read so the timing was a bit off. Also as far as I can tell, Hank's videos don't have a transcript/English subtitles, at least the first two don't. And the automatic Youtube captions are laughably inaccurate. What does everyone think? How shall we go about either somehow obtaining the actual transcripts if they exist for Hank's videos and the missing bits of John's videos or transcribing them ourselves? Could be a way for English speakers who do not speak a foreign language to help out.
    From my experience, all of the subtitles except the first ones are 99% accurate. But I've made corrected version of the first ones, I can send it out.
    image
    image
  • ErikaErika Posts: 125 ✭✭
    @lark How many people do you think would be ideal for each language? Is 4 for Pt-Br enough? If it isn't I can volunteer as a proofreader.
    Nerdfighter Erika from Brazil
  • LaraBrillLaraBrill Posts: 9
    edited November 2012
    @Iark, fine by me! I'm not very familiar with dotsub but it can't be too far from Mikicz's project so seems like a pretty good idea. Is a group already set up or is this still in the suggestion bin? 
    by LaraBrill
  • larklark Posts: 83
    Erika said:
    @lark How many people do you think would be ideal for each language? Is 4 for Pt-Br enough? If it isn't I can volunteer as a proofreader.
    As many as possible. There are quite a few videos to translate, and I'm sure we all have other things to do as well. As long as we organize things well I don't think big groups would be a problem :) A lot of people only sign up for translating, so proofreaders are very welcome.
    image
  • larklark Posts: 83
    LaraBrill said:
    @Iark, fine by me! I'm not very familiar with dotsub but it can't be too far from Mikicz's project so seems like a pretty good idea. Is a group already set up or is this still in the suggestion bin? 
    Nothing set up yet. I'm emailing CCStan tonight to ask for permission. And I'm working on putting together an intro mail with useful links and such. Once that's done I'll send everyone two mails :)
    image
  • infiniteboxinfinitebox Posts: 282 ✭✭
    I'm not sure if this applies to all episodes, but there are sometimes jokes in the English subtitles of the videos which are not actually part of what John says. Are we going to include these in our translations?
  • larklark Posts: 83

    I'm not sure if this applies to all episodes, but there are sometimes jokes in the English subtitles of the videos which are not actually part of what John says. Are we going to include these in our translations?
    Hm. I think they might make things a bit too confusing (sadly, I love those jokes). But if someone reads those translations without speaking any English at all they probably wouldn't get the joke...
    image
  • mikicz said:
    From my experience, all of the subtitles except the first ones are 99% accurate. But I've made corrected version of the first ones, I can send it out.
    Oh okay, great! Is this just for John's videos or Hank's as well?
  • mikiczmikicz Posts: 88
    edited November 2012
    mikicz said:
    From my experience, all of the subtitles except the first ones are 99% accurate. But I've made corrected version of the first ones, I can send it out.
    Oh okay, great! Is this just for John's videos or Hank's as well?
    Just History, unfortunately, I haven't found any subtitles for Biology. There are some transcripts on nerdfighteria.info, but I don't know how accurate they are and how many of the is there. Creating subtitles shouldn't be a problem for anybody with a little bit of timing skills.
    by mikicz
    image
    image
  • larklark Posts: 83
    Something I just thought of while writing the intro mail: We've already established the need for a group of English native speakers to help out, but would you guys be interested in a group of people with a translation background you could contact as well? Things like translating idioms or puns for which there is no translation can be a bitch even for experienced translators. Or should we just set up a general help mailing list/forum/skype chat for all?
    image
  • magicaemagicae Posts: 24 ✭✭
    @lark: maybe a Facebook group?
  • larklark Posts: 83
    edited November 2012
    magicae said:
    @lark: maybe a Facebook group?
    I don't really like/use Facebook. But if you guys think it's the best option I'd of course be on board :)
    I've been trying to figure out how to do things on skype, since it'd be easiest to have actual conversations on there. We could either make one huge chat which includes everyone (obvious downside: everyone gets every help request). The alternative would be for you to add all the help team folks on skype, add them to a group chat (or two, if we separate translators from English native speakers) and save it as a favorite so you could access them easily in the future (obvious downside: you'd actually have to add people as they join)

    (The very sad truth is that I've been sitting here for the last few hours, and one thought that came up again and again was "You know what would be awesome for this? Google Wave." *sigh* )
    by lark
    image
  • magicaemagicae Posts: 24 ✭✭
    Another small forum thing?
  • larklark Posts: 83
    magicae said:
    Another small forum thing?
    Might be a good option, we'd just need to find a good place to host it.
    image
  • mikiczmikicz Posts: 88
    I could host it, but somebody else would have to set it up :)

    image
    image
  • wessellswessells Posts: 69
    I think it's a bad idea because it would fragment us too much. 

    Maybe @lark should just make it work for people. He could point out some leaders of certain languages who then operate on themselves to make an end product.

    I mean: Lark would appoint mikicz as head of Czech and then mikicz could put together a team of 1 - 10 members which would make a product through mail or skype. Mikicz would be the last one to read it and when it's perfect he could send it to lark which in his place puts it online.

    I really hope I made sense.
  • larklark Posts: 83
    edited November 2012
    wessells said:
    I think it's a bad idea because it would fragment us too much. 

    Maybe @lark should just make it work for people. He could point out some leaders of certain languages who then operate on themselves to make an end product.

    I mean: Lark would appoint mikicz as head of Czech and then mikicz could put together a team of 1 - 10 members which would make a product through mail or skype. Mikicz would be the last one to read it and when it's perfect he could send it to lark which in his place puts it online.

    I really hope I made sense.
    @wessells The only thing I don't understand is what you think is a bad idea/would fragment us?
    Language leaders are definitely planned, but I'd rather not blindly appoint people. You'll get a mail with everyone working on your language, so you can get in touch, talk to each other etc. And when you feel like picking a leader you can do that too & let me know who it is :). Obviously it'd be fine if a group decided to use a different method than dotsub or Mikicz's platform, but they're (esp. dotsub) by far the easiest options to do what needs to be done when the people involved have little to no experience translating/subtitling videos.
    (I know it was just an example, but I have no intention whatsoever to meddle with the Czech team. They have their own system, it seems to work for them, so yay :) )
    by lark
    image
  • TheMeFundTheMeFund Posts: 30 ✭✭
    I think if we could get Henry from MinutePhysics to share what his system for translation to his videos is we could make this whole project a whole lot easier.
  • larklark Posts: 83
    edited November 2012
    I think if we could get Henry from MinutePhysics to share what his system for translation to his videos is we could make this whole project a whole lot easier.
    Just had a look. He has a website set up (translate.minutephysics.com). Anyone can sign up (google authentification), download a caption file, and then translate it using their preferred method (he sorta recommends jubler). While that's all fine and dandy and the process seems to work for him, I have a few problems with it for our purpose:
    1. There's no way of knowing if someone else is already working on a translation in your language.
    2. No proofreading (unless he pays proofreaders).
    3. Difficult for newbs.
    4. Difficult to pick up abandoned projects (could be included though).
    5. Difficult to collaborate on translations.
    by lark
    image
  • SchnoukiSchnouki Posts: 12
    lark said:
    (The very sad truth is that I've been sitting here for the last few hours, and one thought that came up again and again was "You know what would be awesome for this? Google Wave." *sigh* )
    True :)
    Could something like Etherpad help? (You can test it on TitanPad) I've used it for translating/proofreading articles in the past and it works well. Not sure how it would work for subtitles though, and something else would still be needed for help requests. I'd prefer a Google group, or perhaps a sub-forum here? But not Facebook...
  • ve2dmnve2dmn Posts: 83 ✭✭
    Schnouki said:
    lark said:
    (The very sad truth is that I've been sitting here for the last few hours, and one thought that came up again and again was "You know what would be awesome for this? Google Wave." *sigh* )
    True :)
    Could something like Etherpad help? (You can test it on TitanPad) I've used it for translating/proofreading articles in the past and it works well. Not sure how it would work for subtitles though, and something else would still be needed for help requests. I'd prefer a Google group, or perhaps a sub-forum here? But not Facebook...
    That Multi-user notepad functionality was integrated into Google Docs. You can chat and leave notes around the document. It's not Google Wave, but a couple of the cool things of Wave got integrated into Docs. (Google bought Etherpad a couple of years ago)



    Truth resists simplicity.” ― John Green.
  • larklark Posts: 83
    Schnouki said:
    lark said:
    (The very sad truth is that I've been sitting here for the last few hours, and one thought that came up again and again was "You know what would be awesome for this? Google Wave." *sigh* )
    True :)
    Could something like Etherpad help? (You can test it on TitanPad) I've used it for translating/proofreading articles in the past and it works well. Not sure how it would work for subtitles though, and something else would still be needed for help requests. I'd prefer a Google group, or perhaps a sub-forum here? But not Facebook...
    I thought Google Wave for the help requests. Subtitles are going to messy without a subtitling program. A Google group seems like a good option to me (unless we could get a sub-forum... a sub-forum would be ace. Really we could just start a help thread here, would be a bit messy, but probably would do the job as well (and wouldn't require us to set up/sign up to yet another place)).
    image
  • melsk125melsk125 Posts: 11
    TED Talk uses Amara as their subtitle translation system. I've just apply to the website so I don't really know how it works but you guys might want to check it out.
  • SchnoukiSchnouki Posts: 12
    @melsk125 I've used Amara/UniversalSubtitles in the past (almost 2 years ago) and it worked great. Someone else did the original text-only transcription in their text editor and I then used Amara to sync the subtitles with the sound, and then to translate them to French.

    The problem IIRC (and if they haven't fixed it yet) is that edits are not made in real time. So if several users are trying to work on the video at the same time, it probably won't end well.
  • larklark Posts: 83
    @melsk125 @Schnouki I'd looked at Amara earlier, but for some reason thought it wasn't free *facepalm*. I don't have time to take a closer look later. At first glance it seems to me like Amara would make organizing the whole thing somewhat easier, but dotsub makes the actual process of translation easier (In which case I'd favor dotsub).
    image
  • larklark Posts: 83
    Okay, had a look at both dotsub and Amara again. It turns out dotsub actually doesn't have one of the features I was sure it had. argh.

    A few problems I have with Amara
    - you can only see a few lines of the text you're translating at once
    - I still think the translation interface is quite confusing
    - the way the teams are set up is a bit different than I'd hoped, but still useful
    - there doesn't seem to be a way to recover your username once you forget it (uhm... not based on personal experience. at all.)
    - the video rights situation is a bit more complicated than on dotsub, so I'd have to check back with CC if it's ok to use. (There are some CC videos up there already, but likely without permission/in violation of Amara's TOS)
    But I'd go with Amara.
    image
  • larklark Posts: 83
    I haven't forgotten you guys, I'm just still waiting to hear back from Stan...
    image
  • nelkatnelkat Posts: 32
    edited December 2012
    Hi there, I haven't actually read the entire thread, just wanted to say I've already put up German subs for the first two eps (and a bit of the third) of World History on amara - the first one was proofread by some friends, but feel free to go over it again, the rest is still unproofed (btw I've done quite a bit of translation and subbing before, so most reductions are on purpose ;) ). I'll email you about the project (obviously I'd like to join).
    I also read that you're waiting to hear back from Stan - I did message with him on Facebook a few months ago, and he really liked the idea and referred me to Danica for more info on format etc. - she never got back to me though (I'm thinking my mails all landed in the spam folder). (this was just me asking if they'd like subs in German, I didn't know about amara then)
    by nelkat
  • larklark Posts: 83

    nelkat said:
    Hi there, I haven't actually read the entire thread, just wanted to say I've already put up German subs for the first two eps (and a bit of the third) of World History on amara - the first one was proofread by some friends, but feel free to go over it again, the rest is still unproofed (btw I've done quite a bit of translation and subbing before, so most reductions are on purpose ;) ). I'll email you about the project (obviously I'd like to join).
    I also read that you're waiting to hear back from Stan - I did message with him on Facebook a few months ago, and he really liked the idea and referred me to Danica for more info on format etc. - she never got back to me though (I'm thinking my mails all landed in the spam folder).
    Awesome, I was going to contact you about your translations anyway :). I've heard back from Stan and we're basically good to go, I just want to put together some guidelines & a few spreadsheets to keep things somewhat organized first. You'll probably all get a few mails on Friday...
    image
Sign In or Register to comment.