Crash Course Subtitle Translations

124»

Comments

• nelkatnelkat Posts: 32
    cool, I sent you that mail :)

also, I'm actually writing an essay on localizing Crash Course (for my multimedia translation class), and I had it all laid out in my head - the fact that you're already organizing it kinda makes it way harder now, I may have to rewrite my introduction and, well, everything ... (on the other hand, I actually have a bit more to write now^^)
  • Do you still need proofreaders? I could proofread for German.
  • larklark Posts: 83

Do you still need proofreaders? I could proofread for German.

Of course. Just send me a mail :)

Everyone who's contacted me so far should have 2-4 new mails in their inbox. It's not entirely impossible someone slipped through the cracks though, so if you didn't get one don't despair, just let me know :)
  • nelkatnelkat Posts: 32
    oh wow, I thought there would be more Germans^^

I have a question for everyone involved (mainly @lark though): Would it be okay if I used the docs "Translation guidelines" and "The Process" for my essay on this? Since they're not available publicly, I'd print them out and include them as an appendix. (if not, I can just explain it more explicitly in the essay, but it'd be much easier if I could just refer back to them)
    (FYI the assignment is to assess the localization of a multimedia product, either a finished one or a hypothetical (not yet localised) one. I chose Crash Course thinking there wasn't more than the bits on amara, and wanted to focus on possible ways to organise the project, what software/platforms to use etc., but now I'm "re-focusing" on how you guys are doing it)
    @nelkat I did, too :(. Just happy we ended up being enough people to translate at all.

Of course you can use the documents. Just, ehm, give me two days to sort out the process one. It's a bit of a mess... (parts of the guidelines are loosely based on other guidelines, I'll add links to those to the document tomorrow (off to spend 12 hours in Middle Earth/a very dark cinema now)). I think most of the discussion/decision making happened on here, although there have been a few email conversations. If you need anything let me know :)
  • ve2dmnve2dmn Posts: 83 ✭✭
    Thanks for the e-mails. I'll start the process in a day or 2.
    Truth resists simplicity.” ― John Green.
  • RitaRita Posts: 1

Hello there!

I'm an Italian native speaker and if you still need help I'd love to partecipate  c:

@rita we do! :)
  • LaraBrillLaraBrill Posts: 9
    edited December 2012
    Hi everyone! Been missing, I know, sorry. Anyway, hope this idea is still up and running, just started the European Portuguese translations and a great deal should be done before January (:

edit: 1st episode translated
    by LaraBrill
  • leediana0311leediana0311 Posts: 89 ✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Is anyone working on a Korean translation? If not, I'd love to help - I'll e-mail lark right after I'm done with this comment. :)
    by leediana0311
     Haec credam a deo pio? A deo iusto? A deo scito? Cruciatus in crucem! Tuus in terra servus nuntius fui officium perfeci. Cruciatus in crucem. Eas in crucem! You get Hoynes!
  • mikiczmikicz Posts: 88

thecrashcourse World History 4: Ancient Egypt. Thanks, Marcos! youtube.com/watch?v=Z3Wvw6…

— Stan Muller (@crashcoursestan) December 19, 2012
    Is this one of our guys?
    edited December 2012
    mikicz said:

thecrashcourse World History 4: Ancient Egypt. Thanks, Marcos! youtube.com/watch?v=Z3Wvw6…

— Stan Muller (@crashcoursestan) December 19, 2012
    Is this one of our guys?
    Nope. Valerie actually did some work on the translation, but someone took over and completed it & sent it to Stan. Not one of our guys and (unless it happened off-Amara) not proofread :/. Ah well... maybe we could contact him and talk him into joining xD

Edit: He's contacted me.
    by lark
  • LaraBrillLaraBrill Posts: 9
    edited December 2012
    Is there any way Stan could have a list of the people who are involved? Maybe it would be more organized that way?
    by LaraBrill
    @larabrill It's a bit complicated. I'm not quite sure how that translation slipped through (whether they talked to Stan or Danica, whether they asked beforehand or just sent something in etc.). I think until quite recently Danica didn't know what we're up to, but she's the one who actually uploads the subtitles. They're now sending all people who ask about doing translations our way, so that should help :). I could certainly give them a list, but it might be a bit of a hassle for them to check everyone against it :)
  • Hey everyone. I recently got finished remaking http://nerdfighteria.info. It seems you've already gotten into this project, but let me know if you think the wiki could be useful in some way. The site's a lot more customizable now, so if there are any particular features you think would help a lot with this project, feel free to suggest them.
  • Hi everyone!

So we're trying to get a group chat together for the people who have signed up to help with Spanish subtitles, just to get to know each other better and kind of discuss the project in general. So if you emailed Lark to sign up to help with Spanish subtitles and you have not yet responded to my email asking for your time zone, please send me a message through here or on gmail letting me know your time zone and I guess when you're free as well. Hopefully we can all meet on google or skype soon.

Thanks!
    Valerie

*bumps* we're still looking for volunteers :)
  • JCHJCH Posts: 11
    Native Spanish speaker here, willing to do some translation/proofreading if needed.
    @JCH awesome :). Just send me a mail (address & info I need is in the first post of this thread)
  • AaronAaron Dundee, U.K.Posts: 757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Lark I don't speak any language other than English, but if you'd like help transcribing the videos so that translators can work on them, I'd be happy to help.
    Elusive of the Last Ones
    @Aaron We're still trying to figure things out regarding transcriptions, but just send me a mail and I'll let you know once there's news. In the meantime http://nerdfighteria.info/ collects transcriptions of Vlogbrothers and CC videos and such :)
    *bump* we're still (always) looking for translators and proofreaders. http://dft.ba/-translationsignup to sign up.
  • RabbitWhatRabbitWhat SpainPosts: 13
    Hey, don't know where to ask about this...
    I translated a video.

I get as far as the preview, everything works fine, then I click "finish" and I get

Error

We are sorry, but something went terribly wrong. Try again later.

• RabbitWhatRabbitWhat SpainPosts: 13
    I managed to upload it yesterday but it still isn´t showing up.
    It is kind of frustrating there is no feedback button or contact or absolutely anything or anywhere I can go to find out what the story is. It took a fair bit of time to do!