The Best Page in TFiOS..?

What is your favorite moment or excerpt or chunk of The Fault In Our Stars?
I am working on a Christmas present for one of my friends and fellow nerdfighters; I want to make her a scarf with an excerpt from John's wondrous book. Looking through the book, I found it really hard to pick one excerpt, so i thought I would ask you! And it is a fantastic opportunity to discuss our favorite TfiOS moments. 

Comments

• clausitclausit EnglandPosts: 7,809 ✭✭✭✭
    *Spoiler Warning*
    The poem was over, but the ambulance was still driving away from us, so I kept writing it.
    And so much depends, I told Augustus, upon a blue sky cut open by the branches of the trees above. So much depends upon the transparent G-tube erupting from the gut of the blue-lipped boy. So much depends upon this observer of the universe.

Not sure how appropriate it would be to put on a scarf, but it's my favorite bit.
    You will come to a place where the streets are not marked. Some windows are lighted but mostly they're darked. A place you could sprain both your elbow and chin. Do you dare to stay out? Do you dare to go in? How much can you lose? How much can you win?
  • gerenjiegerenjie Posts: 64 ✭✭
    I loved Isaac's eulogy too. None of the best lines make sense out of context, though, since they're about specific things like the G-tube and Robot eyes and those things...
  • SamTillsSamTills Posts: 5
    Page 251 leading onto page 252 are my favourites.
    (SPOILERS, OBVIOUSLY)
    Gus and Hazel joking around despite the circumstances and then Gus' Dad telling Hazel that "I thank god for you every day kid" was the nicest part of the novel. Also I draw from the fact he said it that Gus must have had an equally significant impact on Caroline Mathers family in her final months (as demonstrated by the similar humor with "Hulk Smash").

I also loved it on page 278 when Hazel's Dad says "It's total bulls***" " The whole thing, eighty percent survival rate and he's in the twenty percent. Bulls****. He was such a bright kid . It's bulls***. I hate it." Because he is totally right and I hate it.

So mostly I just love the pages of dad's being awesome.
  • clausitclausit EnglandPosts: 7,809 ✭✭✭✭
    "I thank god for you every day kid" is a close second favorite for me. There is so much meaning and emotion packed into that little phrase. I really like it when writers can do that - have a phrase that means so much more than what it actually means.
    You will come to a place where the streets are not marked. Some windows are lighted but mostly they're darked. A place you could sprain both your elbow and chin. Do you dare to stay out? Do you dare to go in? How much can you lose? How much can you win?
  • KinnyKinny Hula Paradise Posts: 233 ✭✭
    It's really, really hard to decide but my Top 5 are...

1)The text messages between Hazel and Augustus (the Okay-Okay thing)
    2)The dinner in Amsterdam
    3)THAT kiss in the Anne Frank House Museum
    4)Hazel and Augustus trying to sell Hazel's swing
    5)Hazel and Augustus sitting in that bones sculpture

And I could continue... I just can't decide !
  • cbyrne19cbyrne19 TNPosts: 4
    edited November 2013
    Definitely my favorite scene in the novel:

“May I see you again?" he asked. There was an endearing nervousness in his voice. 

I smiled. "Sure."

"Tomorrow?" he asked.

"Patience, grasshopper," I counseled. "You don't want to seem overeager."

"Right, that's why I said tomorrow," he said. "I want to see you again tonight. But I'm willing to wait all night and much of tomorrow." I rolled my eyes. "I'm serious," he said. 

"You don't even know me," I said. I grabbed the book from the center console. "How about I call you when I finish this?"

"But you don't even have my phone number," he said.

"I strongly suspect you wrote it in this book." 

He broke out into that goofy smile. "And you say we don't know each other.” 

Also, another quote I really like:

"You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I'm grateful."

by cbyrne19
    "Why are breakfast foods breakfast foods?"
  • TheFaultInMyselfTheFaultInMyself Cupboard Under the StairsPosts: 10
    Hazel's Oblivion speech.

In a war against myself,

The Reader

• Luke_Earl_MolleLuke_Earl_Molle Earl of Peace Jefferson, IaPosts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭
    As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep, slowly then all at once. 
    It would be short enough to put on a scarf, and an awesome thing to always have with you.
    I am the Duke of Earl, and I also am Earl For To and Of Peace
  • KinnyKinny Hula Paradise Posts: 233 ✭✭
    Augustus's letter. Is simply touching
  • RussetRusset Posts: 11
    Isaac's eulogy. Also, all the other moments with Hazel and Augustus and Isaac talking, because they are all such fascinating characters.

“Augustus Waters was a self-aggrandizing bastard. But we forgive him. We forgive him not because he had a heart as figuratively good as his literal one sucked, or because he knew more about how to hold a cigarette than any nonsmoker in history, or because he got eighteen years when he should've gotten more.'
    'Seventeen,' Gus corrected.
    'I'm assuming you've got some time, you interupting bastard.'
    'I'm telling you,' Isaac continued, 'Augustus Waters talked so much that he'd interupt you at his own funeral. And he was pretentious: Sweet Jesus Christ, that kid never took a piss without pondering the abundant metaphorical resonances of human waste production. And he was vain: I do not believe I have ever met a more physically attractive person who was more acutely aware of his own physical attractiveness.
    'But I will say this: When the scientists of the future show up at my house with robot eyes and they tell me to try them on, I will tell the scientists to screw off, because I do not want to see a world without him.'
  • BH622BH622 BaltimorePosts: 128 ✭✭
    I agree with @Kinny . That letter was one of the most touching moments I've ever read. God, why did John have to make Augustus so likable and caring? Way to rip at those heart strings, Mr. Green.
    “This is how you do it: you sit down at the keyboard and you put one word after another until its done. It's that easy, and that hard.” - Neil Gaiman on writing

Like martial arts? Like reading blogs about it? Not sure? Check out my brand new blog, A Warrior's Journey.
  • Luke_Earl_MolleLuke_Earl_Molle Earl of Peace Jefferson, IaPosts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭
    @BH622 He did it so that you could understand him better. In most of his books he wants you to know the characters, so you can understand the pain when something bad happens. He makes Augustus like that so that you will me sad when he dies, and see more of it the way Hazel does. It is really cool that he can do it, a lot of authors can't give you a connection to the characters like he does.
    I am the Duke of Earl, and I also am Earl For To and Of Peace
  • Warrior_UnicornWarrior_Unicorn The planet EarthPosts: 349 ✭✭✭
    My favorite part is on pg. 236 at the bottom of the page. Not something that you would put on a scarf, but it makes me laugh every time I read it.

I sucked at it, of coarse, but my sucking was useful to him: It made it easier for him to die beautifully, to jump in front of a sniper's bullet and sacrifice himself for me, or else kill a sentry who was just about to shoot me. How he reveled in saving me. He shouted, " You will not kill my girlfriend today, International Terrorist of Ambiguous Nationality!"
    It's been a real slice.
  • IgnipotentIgnipotent Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭
    "I want to leave mark. But Van Houten: The marks humans leave are too often scars."

"I got my wish, I suppose. I left my scar."

For if you'd like to make a depressing scarf.
    You'll need coffee shops and sunsets and road trips.  Airplanes and passports and new songs and old songs, 
    but people more than anything else. You will need other people and you will need to be that other person to someone else, 
    a living, breathing, screaming invitation to believe better things.
  • CatherineCatherine Posts: 275 ✭✭✭
    I love the bit that is like (don't have a book on me)
    "According to the conventions of the genre Augustus Waters never once wavered in his .... But this was the truth: a desperate, pitiful boy who wanted desperately not to be pitiful poisoned by a g-tube that kept him alive, but not alive enough"

That whole scene/chapter (18, it's pretty short) is just so beautiful to me because of how it calls out all of the conventions of the genre of cancer books and tears them to pieces and shows Hazel being there for Gus in the most authentic love I've ever seen, especially in a story about teenagers. She doesn't do the stereotypical big romantic gesture thing/teenage thing of not calling for help because he asks her not to, and she comforts him without empty platitudes.

@SamTills you picked out some of my faves
    @clausit I agree the "I thank god for you every day kid" bit is one of my absolute favorites because there's SO much unspoken emotion packed into that little sentence and it says so much about Gus and Hazel and Gus's dad and their handling of things as people who are living so close to these problems as opposed to relative outsiders (the half sisters and husbands). 
  • One of my favorite quotes that isn't too depressing or whatever to put on a scarf is "I'm on a roller coaster that only goes up."  I like it because if you don't know the book you might think that the speaker is bragging about their amazing life, but in reality it is about the decision Augustus makes every day to live as though he has an amazing life.  It is an attitude that I can only hope to have.

“Alice laughed. 'There's no use trying,' she said. 'One can't believe impossible things.' I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. 'When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

• abiblueninjaabiblueninja St. Louis, MOPosts: 3
    My favorite quote is the one that always comes to mind whenever someone brings up the book. "Lonely, vaguely pedophilic swing set seeks the butts of children." I'm not sure if it very appropriate for a scarf but, its my favorite line.
  • iamvincentliuiamvincentliu Posts: 11
    edited May 2014
    The part where Augustus reveals at the end that he *spoiler*. The plot didn't just make a turn. It went in the complete opposite direction. The letter at the end I also read multiple times.
    by iamvincentliu

> ∞

• vanellope_doryvanellope_dory Posts: 1
    *spoiler*
    My favourite part is before Gus tells Hazel that he's sick again. It's a sad scene and stuff, but in that moment I realized how long Hazel was sick. She's been sick for almost four years and I never really realized that until then. 

Much of my life had been devoted to trying not to cry in front of people who loved me, so I know what Augustus was doing. You clench your teeth. You look up. You tell yourself that if they see you cry, it will hurt them, and you will be nothing but A Sadness in their lives, and you must not become a mere sadness, so you will not cry, and you say all of this to yourself while looking up at the ceiling, and then you swallow even though your throat does not want to close and you look at the person who loves you and smile. 

I'm crying
  • icantevenicanteven Posts: 32
    "You used," he said, and then took a sharp breath, "to call me Augustus."
    I sincerely can't handle that line. There's so much meaning behind it. It's one of those lines that says a lot by leaving things unsaid. Does that make sense? Either way, I love it.
  • NerdWriterFighterNerdWriterFighter HogwartsPosts: 167 ✭✭
    The about the author page is THE BEST PAGE IN THE UNIVERSEEEE!
  • AlexanderGreatAlexanderGreat Posts: 14
    Well, if you want to be depressing, why not: 

"I lit up like a Christmas tree Hazel Grace" 
  • StarElements5StarElements5 USAPosts: 11
    The egging scene And when Hazel tells Augustus what she used her Wish on(Page 80)

"I solemnly swear that I am up to no good" (Harry Potter)

"May the Force be with you" (Star Wars)

"In that moment, I swear, we were infinite" (Perks of Being a Wallflower)

"On your left" (Captain America: The Winter Soldier)

"You must forge your own path for it to mean anything.” (Heroes of Olympus)

"It's good to dream" (BBC Robin Hood)

"Be the Leaf!" (Legend of Korra)

"I'm on a rollercoaster that only goes up"(The Fault in our Stars)

• WeBz23WeBz23 Posts: 4
    Either the trophy breaking part with Isaac or the egg throwing part with Augustus, Hazel, and Isaac.
  • CrystalCrystal Missouri Posts: 5
    I like the part when Hazel was asking why eggs were just a breakfast food. I also love when Issac and her were reading their eulogies. (But that was also one of the most heart wrenching moments.) :((