Teenage Nerdfighters Unite (Our Pants edition)

1186218631864186518661868»

Comments

• the_one_on_the_leftthe_one_on_the_left The top half of the longest undefended border in the worldPosts: 516 ✭✭
    edited February 6
    Hank’s new book: Seems precisely like my least favourite and honestly irritating to read type of book. Could be wrong tho.

Catcher in the rye: never read.

New Star Wars: haven’t seen.

Pressured to figure out life?: meh. The only pressure on you is the pressure you place. My first and overwhelming goal in life is to be happy. My second is to be happy tomorrow. My third is to be happy the day after. Etc etc. This is achievable through any career with a stable even if mediocre income, combined with realizing how damn awesome life is where I live. Now there’s a lot that goes into happiness, but my life plan isn’t all that important after a point. I have good friends, decent future, nothing particularly making me unhappy (recovering from my break up aside, but that’s steadily healing and will be gone in time) and am shockingly charismatic when I try to be. Life is good, and will be good. I am content.

How am I: I suppose I’m good. I need a girlfriend to eclipse my ex and then I’ll be great! As is, I just die a little inside when I hear about their new guy.

Cheeky secret: I’m doing way worse than I said, for a couple reasons, but what I said is more or less a reasonable position that I’m not far from being in and am aiming for.

Also, thanks @ohalltheplaces
    by the_one_on_the_left
    Am I smart? No idea. I believe I’m fairly knowledgeable and logical, a good substitute I hope.
  • ohalltheplacesohalltheplaces reveling in paradox and satire TexasPosts: 476 ✭✭✭
    @the_one_on_the_left well that definitely answered all my questions. I am glad you are doing well and not doing well at the same time. That was the most relatable thing you typed.
    "Urge and urge and urge,
    Always the procreant urge of the world"
    - Walt Whitman
  • the_one_on_the_leftthe_one_on_the_left The top half of the longest undefended border in the worldPosts: 516 ✭✭
    http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/02/22/getting-rich-from-zero-to-hero-in-one-blog-post/

I think this is an amazing blog and everyone should read it. If you click on EVERY link inside the master post I linked to above, you’ll have a very substantial amount of great monetary advice.
    You could also start from the beginning and read on.

I don’t necessarily think all his practices are great or that you should adhere to them all, but I think it’s a great way to gain some perspective and learn simple but elegant finances.
    Am I smart? No idea. I believe I’m fairly knowledgeable and logical, a good substitute I hope.
  • YodaboyazYodaboyaz Chandler, ArizonaPosts: 241 ✭✭
    @ohalltheplaces
    3) The Last Jedi was rather polarizing in the Star Wars community. I thought that it was a really cool break from the norm. I am, however, rather upset with everyone after the fall of the Empire having absolutely no idea what military strategy is. But overall, I think that it was a really good movie with some really good scenes (those who have seen it know what I'm talking about) and some scenes that it could have done without (again, if you saw it, you know). It is my second favorite Star Wars movie, right after Rogue One.
    4) I don't feel that I am pressured to figure out what I am going to be. I feel more like the person that I AM isn't quite good enough. I know where I am going and how to get there, so my future is rather planned out. However, I don't know what to do about right now. I have some good friends. I am doing really well in school. But I go back and forth between feeling fine about myself and forgetting my "problem" and feeling like I am really socially awkward and everyone knows. My problem is that my friends are all comedians and have strong opinions about the happenings of the school. I am not the funniest guy and am rather indifferent on many issues. So sometimes I feel like I'm a lump on a log and just listen and laugh along with my friends.
    "I don't know." What a liberating phrase.
    “I feel so unrelateble in the most relatable way”
    Doesn’t that sounds like a deep, meaningful, relatable thing to say? When in relaity it’s just some pseudo intellectual crap I made up (although I hardly claim originality.) Except, if I put some fancy fonts on it, perhaps paste it on a nice picture, suddenly I have deep, insightful poetry and it’s beautiful and the right person saying it and the right platform propagating it will get hundreds of thousands of likes or hearts or what have you. I’m not going anywhere what this, I just want some validation that I’m not crazy for finding this to be somewhat absurd as a whole. I can’t help but think, that coming from my average mouth without being dressed up, it really wouldn’t mean a damn thing to most. I don’t know. It’s late, I ramble about meaningless stuff at night. Sue me.
  • AnFaAnFa Hessen, GermanyPosts: 91
    1) I don't really think much about Hank's book. I know that it is not really the type of book I normally read but maybe I will read it. Don't know.

2) never read

3) never seen

4) kinda. I mean, I have an idea for what I think I want my life to be, but I could be wrong. Also I am currently failing to take the necessary steps to get there, so I, too, have a bit of a feeling of not being good enough. That might be related to the next point:

5) I'm depressed. I have been for quite a while. On the upside, I feel like I might be getting better. Yesterday I saw a comedian on TV and I think that was the first time in ages that I managed to genuinely laugh as much as I did. So, could be worse.

In other news, I recently turned 20. So now I am technically not a teenager anymore, which is weird. Time flies by.
  • ohalltheplacesohalltheplaces reveling in paradox and satire TexasPosts: 476 ✭✭✭
    Happy Valentines day my fellow nerds! I hope it wont be to bad, but you know how stereotypically us nerds are with "love"

Also sue me because I am hyped about Hank's book. I do however admittedly get hyped over just about any book.

@Yodaboyaz that was indeed very relatable, but I don't know how to use fancy font so take that as you will. I think in general I feel very pressured to figure out who I am. I have no idea what I am going to do with my life, and I feel, like John said in his latest video, "I need to make my days count". I however hate really being a teenager, because I am bad at it. In a way I know I am awkward, but then I feel pressured to not be so. Like I have control over it and I am not handling it correctly.
    Anyway that hardly made any sense.

@AnFa I am sorry about your depression. ( although I really hate sounding that because it sounds empty. I however, mean it with all of my heart. It sucks, I know.) I think the only thing we can do it take happiness when it comes. Congratulations on the laughter, I hope more comes your way.
    "Urge and urge and urge,
    - Walt Whitman
  • YodaboyazYodaboyaz Chandler, ArizonaPosts: 241 ✭✭
    Happy Valentine's Day y'all. To me, today has never had any meaning besides... well nothing really. Today specifically, however, is somewhat of an exciting day for me since it rained. For Arizona, a rainy day is a happy day.
    Today was also my first Drama performance. I performed a scene from Othello. For my first performance, I think that it went rather well. I only forgot one line, but my scene partner saved me and made it seem like the pause was intentional.
    Thus concludes my incoherent thoughts of the day.
    "I don't know." What a liberating phrase.
    edited February 15
    Dupe
    by the_one_on_the_left
    edited February 15
    Happy Valentine’s Day. Get me this please: https://www.theforeverrose.com/ in particular, I want the plain pink rose.

@AnFa I hope you find a path to getting well, be it medication or friends or therapy. I know how hard it can be,
    Just in the past two weeks or so i have pulled out of a gradually worsening depressive slide/mindset, thanks entirely to my wonderful friend (and ex) being more or less my therapist for bit. There’s a lot to be said for support being available whenever you need it, and I hope you count nerdfighteria as a part of that (no guarantee on speedy responses though.)

Also, I don’t know if I can recommend my situation of having your ex as your main support/cure. It came with the drawback of them being the root catalyst of it in the first place ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    by the_one_on_the_left
    @Yodaboyaz Congratulations on your performance!

I like to think Nedfightieria is a safe place to get help. I will at least always be here if everyone ever needs anything.
    "Urge and urge and urge,
    - Walt Whitman
    @ohalltheplaces
    I think everyone, teenager or not, feels awkward at least sometimes. I definitely know that I do. I think during the last few years I just gradually became a bit more okay with being awkward. So, I don't know, maybe the secret is not trying to not be awkward, but accepting the fact that you are?
    @AnFa now it is my turn to thank you. Yeah I think I am becomes better with being okay with who I am. Even if I am really awkward and still don't complexly know who that is yet.
    "Urge and urge and urge,
    - Walt Whitman
    In my experience, people overestimate what it truly awkward. More often than not “awkward” is really just a slight pause after someone says something that requires proper moments of consideration. Challenging an opinion or sticking up for your opinion and there being a pause in conversation is not “awkward,” it is natural.

For a manipulative example, my sister is “pushy” to put it exceedingly nicely. If you don’t stand up for yourself, she will trample over you. If you do stand up for yourself by calling her out or defending your position from blatant manipulation she will say “AWKWARD” in a way and manner that implies that everyone should feel uncomfortable for putting her in an uncomfortable position.

However, that’s not actually awkward for us, and nobody except her should feel that way. When you feel awkward in an argument or debate, consider that perhaps you shouldn’t.

So that’s recognizing a more manipulative or argument-orientated type of awkward, here’s a different type of awkwardness reduction strategy for you
    (I haven’t actually gotten around to writing this part yet but I want to publish at least these starting thoughts and I’ll probably do this later on in a new post)