YA Lit Book Club!

AdaAda Posts: 67
Hello! Welcome! Basically, if you have any YA book recommendations, or if you want to talk about any YA book, you can do that here! DFTBA!
Make art, not friends.

Comments

• redisbestredisbest MunichPosts: 17
    Hey I have been reading a lot of classics recently (because I've suddenly decided that I'm really pretentious?) but I've always had a soft spot for YA. My favourite would have to be Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo. It is just amazingly written with some of the best characters I've seen in a while. You should totally read it if you haven't
    "42"
    For the record my username is about my favourite kids book, not love for a color; I like blue
  • AdaAda Posts: 67
    @redisbest I added Six of Crows to my reading list. It looks really interesting. Thanks for recommending it. Also, what's your favorite classic?
    Make art, not friends.
    @Ada I'm not sure this one counts because it was written in 1987 but Beloved by Toni Morrison is pretty remarkable. If not that one I really enjoyed Jane Eyre. Also Frankenstein is amazing but it really shows how good it is if you read it out loud. Do you have any recommendations you can give to me?
    "42"
    For the record my username is about my favourite kids book, not love for a color; I like blue
    @redisbest I don't really have any classic recommendations, but I will let you know if I do. In YA, though, I would recommend Eliza And Her Monsters. I'm reading it right now, and it's fantastic. Also, quick side note, did you know that Mary Shelley was sixteen when Frankenstein was published? It first started out as a story that she had made up to tell her family around the campfire, and then she decided to create a whole book out of her story.
    Make art, not friends.
    @Ada I'd heard something of the sort but not on that scale. Its honestly amazing to me how someone could produce something like Frankenstein at that age. (no pressure, right?) But like I said it reads like that. Sort of like Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. It started as a radio show and totally reads like it
    "42"
    @redisbest That's interesting. I didn't know that it originated as a radio show.
    Make art, not friends.
  • Gara_the_engineerGara_the_engineer In a log house at the edge of the forestPosts: 633 ✭✭✭
    This is a long shot because I don't think the book is very well-known (on the other hand, I'm pretty behind on what's popular so maybe I've just missed it), but have any of you read "She is not invisible"? It's a thriller and I'm definitely not a thriller kind of person, but I really loved how the book started.
    The meaning of life is to give life a meaning
    @Gara_the_engineer No, I haven't read it, but it looks fantastic. I read Word Afire today, and I would definitely recommend it. Though it is kind of disturbing, it's really beautiful.
    Make art, not friends.